What's new

Today June 2016

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
It's already June! Rainy season cometh. HTFU Mike, it's not cold.

I've managed to keep up with the (fairly arbitrary 1250 km) Stravr monthly distance challenge thingy this year, so far.

SafariScreenSnapz001.png

And enjoyed some rides away from home in May, touring around Shikoku in Golden Week and a couple of jaunts between work shifts last week at the G7 Summit in Iseshima.

SafariScreenSnapz002.png

So, what'cha got, June?

Later this month, the 24th, will be the one year anniversary of my crash. Still not close to being back on a bike.

Pelvis has not healed enough (knitted itself back together), so the word now is another two (maybe three) little Ti plates in there at the same time as I get a hip replacement (to prevent my pelvis from flexing too much, the plates will keep the hip replacement from loosening...). Probably late Aug. or Sept.

I can accept that, if it will get rid of the pain in my hip. Once up and around I can walk pretty well, and even go out for 30 min or so with the dog, and I can work, and so on. But it's the transition from sitting to standing that hurts. I could get technical, but the socket hasn't healed well, and it takes a swing/movement or two of my leg for the ball to get seated right (with some little lightning bolts in there as that happens). Think of how many times you stand up during a normal day. Or, switching from a side position to face up when sleeping. (And we'll skip how sex works, or not, for the moment.)

Up to a couple months ago, I was always really positive. But I guess it's finally sinking in what a life-changing event this has been (is going to be). I retire next March 31st, and ideas/dreams/possibles for what I might try or do over the next few years or more seem to have very much been back-burnered.

Yuk.

I've gained weight.

I really miss sprinting a little now and then, or maybe at the end of a ride, and the satisfaction of the deep, full recovery breathing connected to that. It's been a while.

Ride carefully, people.

Although nowhere near as bad as your hip is JDD I've been experiencing chronic hip/pelvis pain on my left side since at least February.
Finally decided to have a Dr or three look at it yesterday as it hasn't been improving.

Thinking it may have been related to my knee operation recovery I went to the same clinic/ hospital that did the op.

They took about ten x-rays and found nothing wrong with the bones but there was a largeish (6mm) what looked like a kidney stone showing.
So, I went across to the other side of the clinic to see my other Doc who took a urine test which showed no trace of a stone. He sent me upstairs for some ultrasound and they could find no stone either. Back to the drawing board. There is pain there though and we can't figure out what it is... The spot which was largish may have been something in my faeces. Pain is not so bad today. The pain may be just my hip out of alignment so trying to build up the muscles around there and stretching. Will see the Dr again next month.

Get well soon people. Really hope you can both reach your health and recovery goals asap.

I went to the TOJ Inabe stage on Wednesday with TCCer Delta Dave. Then we stopped by Circles in Nagoya to meet the likes of Chris King and John Watson from the Radavist. Proper good day. Vlog below. I love the momentum that bike people have. Everyone is positive and open and honest. I met so many new faces on Wednesday from near and far. And thanks to Saibot for the kit ;).

Last edited:
I miss the old JCRC / Nikkan Sports early morning races before the pro race arrives at Oi Futo.
Except for my worst ever crash there.

Are they running that tomorrow as well?

The Dauphine prologue time trial was very similar to the Wada East segment. Amazing how quick they can climb.

The Dauphine prologue time trial was very similar to the Wada East segment.

I think you overestimate wada just a tad ;)

you won't see a pro riding like this on wada:

btw, froome was a bit smoother

I, too, was reminded of Wada East when watching the prologue. The Gets climb looks tougher, but are you perhaps thinking of the gentler Wada West, @saibot? In a thread a while back about popular Strava segments, you wondered why Wada was so highly touted, implying that it didn't seem to merit all the attention it gets. I think the answer is that it is the closest "big" climb for many Tokyo-area cyclists. While it's not my favorite by a long shot, it's certainly one of the most conveniently located, and serves as a gateway to many other climbs in the area. I sure wish Shiraishi was closer!

@saibot what was the av.gradient on the climb we did on Saturday? My Strava has it at 8km and av 8.9%.

We'll have to try this Wada that they are talking about.

I, too, was reminded of Wada East when watching the prologue. The Gets climb looks tougher, but are you perhaps thinking of the gentler Wada West, @saibot? In a thread a while back about popular Strava segments, you wondered why Wada was so highly touted, implying that it didn't seem to merit all the attention it gets. I think the answer is that it is the closest "big" climb for many Tokyo-area cyclists. While it's not my favorite by a long shot, it's certainly one of the most conveniently located, and serves as a gateway to many other climbs in the area. I sure wish Shiraishi was closer!

Agreed, wada east is definitely the tougher side, but it still doesn't have no long 20% sections like that prologue ;)

I know I came off a bit high and mighty last time about wada, (maybe intentional Hihi). Wada was the first "real" climb I did in Japan on a standard crankset and 27t cassette, maybe that's why I dislike it so much ;) I have done it a couple of times since though.
If you live out that way it definitely a good leg breaker.
My main problem with it is that I don't get the reward I want from though climb (and I definitely think it's tough!), a nice fun descent, or even a descent view apart from one spot on the west side.
You are right about the gateway to other stuff as well, great climbs in that area!

And to be fair, shiraishi is not much better than wada in my opinion :p

Last edited:
@saibot what was the av.gradient on the climb we did on Saturday? My Strava has it at 8km and av 8.9%.

We'll have to try this Wada that they are talking about.
Thats correct I think, the fist half of it is pretty gentle before is spikes up to that 22% section, after that it's in shiraishi territory about 7-8% to the top.

Do you really think that or are you just saying because luckily it can never be the case. Ha ha ha!

Actually I wish it was a bit closer too, not too much closer just a bit!

I sure wish Shiraishi was closer!

Back
Top Bottom