What's new

July's 101 Mysteries of Cycling

Polymer Head

Warming-Up
May 13, 2008
Do you wear the earpieces of your protective eyewear over or under the chin straps of your helmet? :cool:

Depends...

Do you wear the earpieces of your protective eyewear over or under the chin straps of your helmet? :cool:

I used to wear my glasses over the helmet-straps for two reasons;
a). My old helmet was a "LAS", and the straps were flush against my head (either side of the ears.
b). The el-cheapo sunglasses I had then would "dig-in" above my ears & cause considerable irritation on long rides.

Now however, I wear a "MET" helmet, that has a slight gap in the straps between the helmet & skin around my ears. And my current el-cheapo sunnies are more comfortable.
Hence, I currently ride with the eyewear under the helmet straps.

I suppose it depends on the brand of helmet & sunglasses, and then a bit of trial & error in finding the right combination.
Another problem that may occur is eyewear-wobble. Some combinations affect how securely the glasses fit when going over bumps etc.
The only suggestion I could make is to take your helmet into the glasses shop and try them on together.

Good luck! T

I always wear mine on the inside. More than once I've had to yank off my helmet to extract a trapped bee or dragonfly which flew into one of the vents, and I hated having my glasses fly off.

Inside

for all of the reasons above. I have a Giro Atmos and a pair of Rudy Project sunnies that I found in the UK. Excellent combination.

chazzer

Back
Top Bottom