What's new

Today July 2021

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Half the year is over, six more months of cycling this year!

I only did one long ride mid-month to keep up my "Century a Month" but also went on two hiking excursions with my wife, so I wasn't just being lazy. I am hoping for a few more cool and even drizzly days before the real summer heat.

All totally unremarkable--only a little more than commuting used to be--but garmin shows 14 rides in June.

June was a let down for me after my Baird Beer ride so hoping that July brings up some more bike rides, if the rain lets up just a bit, and the temps are kind of sensible for a few days.

All totally unremarkable--only a little more than commuting used to be--but garmin shows 14 rides in June.
Congratulations on your age group PB for last month @jdd . Looks like you got the magic glass that is always half full.

I started the month woken in the early hours with my first mozzie bites of the season. This month is always an N+1 month for me, I dream of a bike with mudguards, internal hub gears and hydraulic discs for the rain, and a Son hub dynamo for night riding in a lower temp range, maybe even a belt drive.

However the glass is always half full and I have modest plans for the KBs and my ergo for this month, no excuses if house bound. And no excuses for skipping mobility work. Unless you start your day online then do the crossword. I'm off now to copy the short WOD from the C2 site.

ooops, another month started. my training revolves around weekly cycles, so haven't even noticed before this thread brought it up haha

June was... disparate
1625137707847.png

last month before a group ride I spent an hour or so trying to get my rear tire to seal. It was soft the morning of the ride so I threw in a tube.
Today I whip out the tube, gently screw in the vale and add some sealant.
One shot from the pump and it seats and has not lost any pressure the last 12 hours. I only used light finger pressure
if you are looking for good sealant this is the best I have found.

Cruising the web, came across this, Guinness world record--world's steepest street, 34.8%, Baldwin St., Dunedin, NZ.

steepest-street-baldwin-header_tcm25-614439.jpg
steepest-street-baldwin-article_tcm25-614487.jpg

I seem somehow to have fixed whatever was wrong with the non-shifting front shifter on my Niner. I really don't know what the cause was or what I did to make it better; this is not satisfying.

I fiddled with the cable, took the bottom cover of the GRX STI lever and poked around inside, and it started working again. It might have been a bit of grit inside, and my meddling caused it to fall out. Or something else entirely.

Will take it for a little spin and a test before embarking on another adventure .

20210630-094123-Exploring-Kanaya-Lumpy-Loop.jpeg
"Yes, I can read. I just don't care."

when you come all the way to full sus like that, it's simply a MTB with a drop handlebar! nothing wrong with that tho 🤤

when you come all the way to full sus like that, it's simply a MTB with a drop handlebar! nothing wrong with that tho 🤤
Agreed (mostly) and agreed. The wheels are 700C, the geometry is very different. I could have saved a lot of money by converting one of my mountain bikes, but at the time I didn't want to and I wanted this. Haven't ridden either of my mountain bikes for more than two years, and am thinking I could use the space. But which one to sell...? The titanium Lynskey 29er hardtail that @bloaker helped me build is so pretty, and the Kona 27.5 full-trampoline is so versatile. So probably neither for now. What I really need is a bigger place!

20170319-113341-yamabushi-MTB.jpeg

20180922-152901-lynskey-mt29-built.jpeg

Agreed (mostly) and agreed. The wheels are 700C, the geometry is very different. I could have saved a lot of money by converting one of my mountain bikes, but at the time I didn't want to and I wanted this. Haven't ridden either of my mountain bikes for more than two years, and am thinking I could use the space. But which one to sell...? The titanium Lynskey 29er hardtail that @bloaker helped me build is so pretty, and the Kona 27.5 full-trampoline is so versatile. So probably neither for now. What I really need is a bigger place!

View attachment 31938

View attachment 31939

I don't mind looking after the Lynskey for you if you need more storage space! 😍

Andy

I like the way a suspension gravel bike questions how much travel you actually need. The answer will depend on the individual but it's good that the question is being asked. You'd have a hard job selling a mountain bike with 50mm of rear travel. Its either hard tail or 80mm plus.

I wouldn't mind gravelizing a 26er mtb I have, but my budget only stretches to a drop handlebar conversion, rigid fork, and 650b wheels, not 1x and hydro. It would probably ride fine, but its going to look lame compared to the shiny things on new bikes.

If you are serious about selling, I'm looking for a new XC mountain bike.

Finally made it out today, after many days of rain, rain, and more rain (now very humid). Still some puddles and wet places where leftover water is draining across the path, and tho it's overcast (nice), I soon started dripping sweat so that when I stopped, I could start my own puddle...

Back
Top Bottom