What's new

Today July 2019

Took a sneaky Wednesday off for an adventure in Nippara with a friend. Our original plan was to ride all the way there, but despite starting at 6 a.m. we were baking hot on the Tamagawa so took the train from Haijima to Okutama and re-started from there. The limestone caverns were cool... 9ºC all year round! And I was pleased to see that the eternal infernal construction just above the cavern entrance has finally completed, because I need to bike-and-hike up there again to grab a tricky tile.

After that we hit a closed rindō that leads to a hiking trail that leads to Hyakuhiro Waterfall. Love these falls, as one can play in the splash pool, and they're far from the beaten track. Definitely worth effort for me. We didn't see a soul, although we did get some thunder and rain; I see from Stravr that @Karl neatly avoided the storm.

Back down the hill to Okutama, and trains home. Great fun.

mike.gif

LUUNE0368 copy.JPG

Took a sneaky Wednesday off for an adventure in Nippara with a friend. Our original plan was to ride all the way there, but despite starting at 6 a.m. we were baking hot on the Tamagawa so took the train from Haijima to Okutama and re-started from there. The limestone caverns were cool... 9ºC all year round! And I was pleased to see that the eternal infernal construction just above the cavern entrance has finally completed, because I need to bike-and-hike up there again to grab a tricky tile.

After that we hit a closed rindō that leads to a hiking trail that leads to Hyakuhiro Waterfall. Love these falls, as one can play in the splash pool, and they're far from the beaten track. Definitely worth effort for me. We didn't see a soul, although we did get some thunder and rain; I see from Stravr that @Karl neatly avoided the storm.

Back down the hill to Okutama, and trains home. Great fun.

View attachment 18387

View attachment 18388
Cool photo and gif.
@saibot we need to go there sometime

day after day
QUOTE]

I've been watching this. Just amazing! Also, was wondering how it is that riders take different routes to the control points. Does this race allow folks to choose which routes they take?

Yes, checkpoints - you gotta pass through there, the rest - up to each rider. I don't think there's grouping (as in drafting, sharing supplies etc) is allowed either

Assuming you chaps use road cleats... take alternative footwear and bug repellant. The hike is short, at 1.9 km, but a lot trickier than Takao-san. It can be (and has been) done in flip-flops, though.
Cheers for the heads up. In that case, I'd probably take the Niner with MTB SPD pedals. Tobias gave up his road shoes a long time ago 😜

Back
Top Bottom