What's new

Today July 2018

Here's my question:

What currently popular cycling trend/item is most likely to become the albatross of the future?

The shimano setup takes a moment to get use to. If you crank it down too much, there will be significant friction and the pedals won't even do a full rotation with a hard push. To get a good feel for the tension, practice. I have tightened the plastic cap as tight as I can with my hand. On some, it is tight enough, with others, I have gone with mechanical assistance and tightened it more. Basically going about 20 degrees at a time, then spin the crank. continue until it is too tight, but remember how far in rotations and hard as far as resistance I tightened it. Once the "too tight" pressure is discovered, loosen the nut significantly, pull the crank are off a tad, then retighten to just before that point.

All of my MTB cranks are Shimano M8000 and 1 M785. They are all trouble free.

I was out in Tokigawa today in the cage with my son. Jumping from river to river. Looking for insects. I saw a bunch of cyclists, like lots of them. None of them seemed to be enjoying it!!!
I wouldn't have been either!

I was out in Tokigawa today in the cage with my son. Jumping from river to river. Looking for insects. I saw a bunch of cyclists, like lots of them. None of them seemed to be enjoying it!!!
Only way to deal with it is to get up at the arse crack of dawn. 4:00 am start today home by 8:30. Seeing those suckers just starting their ride, it looked just miserable. And some had tights and long sleeves... that I don't get.

I was out Tokigawa way and was enjoying every minute of it. Was pretty warm out, but really nice. The dip in the stream directly across from the temple on the temple climb was the highlight.

5141BEF2-E160-49F3-86DB-787FA71F67CC.png
4CCB954F-A13E-4F3F-B552-57BE7AFF2F25.png

(Sorry @Mlac Peek , didn't get a shot of you as you were late to the party 😜)

Fack me... day 8 of a migraine. It started last Saturday evening and continued through this morning.
As of right now it "feels" it has subsided - but damn... I get 1 every 3 to 4 years. I just want to ball up in the closet and wait it out in the dark cool space, but work and kids won't allow it.

Tomorrow I will test the trail gods and take shot at Fujiten MTB park. Hopefully my head it up for it or it will be an expensive trip for nothing.
The good news, I am riding with someone else, so I don't have to sweat driving with a headache.

Bedouin thing, right?
yeah, I understand the general reasoning behind it, but during cycling? I'm overheating as is, imagine being stifled around the whole face and neck area, mouth nose everything... wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. almost like voluntary waterboarding

I have a summer jersey that I wouldn't go out without. Something about the sleeves wicks the sweat well besides keeping the sun off. (and less sun goop needed)

after the one night stand I've had with the KCNC ultralight brakes I had the next day remorse and went back to reliable old shimano. sold both KCNC and ultegra 8000 and got DA9100. I could immediately tell the difference just by how light my wallet became. but the black matches the frame better so I guess any expense is justified. enjoyed more than I should perfectly micro adjusting them just now - left/right symmetry, toe-in angle, them's the brakes.

on a related note, on the last 2 rides I got a strange click on cannon-chan which I was almost sure was coming from the headset. it's there when I pull the right handlebar on the climbs, or in certain handle positions etc. since the brakes were off the bike, I took the chance to examine the head parts. et voila, total horror. blackened gunk, almost no grease left, just dark matter or anti matter or something. that on a bike used for 700-800 km over some 5-6 weeks now! the guys that built that should be ashamed of themselves. I should have taken photos and send them to cannondale to delist them as retailers/ distributors. probably put the least amount of grease possible there just to make it cleaner and easier. so if it fixes the click or not I'm glad I've inspected and serviced that nightmare in development ffs

after the one night stand I've had with the KCNC ultralight brakes I had the next day remorse and went back to reliable old shimano. sold both KCNC and ultegra 8000 and got DA9100. I could immediately tell the difference just by how light my wallet became. but the black matches the frame better so I guess any expense is justified. enjoyed more than I should perfectly micro adjusting them just now - left/right symmetry, toe-in angle, them's the brakes.

on a related note, on the last 2 rides I got a strange click on cannon-chan which I was almost sure was coming from the headset. it's there when I pull the right handlebar on the climbs, or in certain handle positions etc. since the brakes were off the bike, I took the chance to examine the head parts. et voila, total horror. blackened gunk, almost no grease left, just dark matter or anti matter or something. that on a bike used for 700-800 km over some 5-6 weeks now! the guys that built that should be ashamed of themselves. I should have taken photos and send them to cannondale to delist them as retailers/ distributors. probably put the least amount of grease possible there just to make it cleaner and easier. so if it fixes the click or not I'm glad I've inspected and serviced that nightmare in development ffs

Don't the headsets use sealed bearings? Are you saying there wasn't any grease inside the sealed bearings once you took the seal off?

Yeah the bearings were sealed and I haven't opened the cartridges. But where the cartridge meets the frame or steerer fork, or the cut out ring that holds it all in place, all of that was almost dry and black with grime. The cartridges themselves looked easy to turn and no hiccups or anything, but got couple of black spots that can't be easily removed now

Yeah the bearings were sealed and I haven't opened the cartridges. But where the cartridge meets the frame or steerer fork, or the cut out ring that holds it all in place, all of that was almost dry and black with grime. The cartridges themselves looked easy to turn and no hiccups or anything, but got couple of black spots that can't be easily removed now
That is what sweat does to a headset... seeing your previous post I'm amazed it held up this long ;)

New brake day for my rindōmuncher

IMG_0449.JPG

"this long"?! whole 5-6 weeks, on a weekend-only fair weather bike? haha come to think of it, maybe the guys at the shop did not built it from scratch. perhaps BB and headset were installed (and laying about in a warehouse or somewhere for who knows how long) and they only did other parts and tighten it all up.... I'd expect the headset to look like that after 6 months of heavy use but 700-800 km

Went for a bit of a ride last Saturday. Took the gravel bike and hit some of the gravel climbs around Shiraishi. Super fun but the heat was pretty oppressive so we went in search of H2O. Found it and then some. It felt amazing.

61182F51-B912-4A8A-B8C7-EFD3356C1342.jpeg5C1E083E-75B7-495A-9773-3ED0953B77BD.jpeg360EB961-FD52-423B-A3B3-4841C716202B.jpeg68F4275B-D833-4EAD-A2D7-43B646B29F3E.jpeg20BE17AE-CE16-4A01-8A26-7009D2E78A65.jpeg5AAB1C51-4616-4D4A-A009-78793D415B8E.jpeg3BEF218B-EF9F-4600-960F-51300DDC24AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom