What's new

Today July 2017

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
It's getting brutal out there on the rivers. Today was my normal 5:40 start down to lake saiko for a few laps in the relative cool. Actually it was already hot even at that time.

Met up with @leicaman for a leisurely roll up the river into the inferno of Saitama. The conbini stop couldn't come quick enough.

Then I said goodbye and headed back into the oven of Arakawa. No water could make it alright.

Once off the river and with only 5km to home I retreated into another conbini for a gari gari. As always that made things better!

Rolled home... baked and ready for a cold shower or three.

From today's commute:

Apparently 2 bicycles crashed

MAH03783 (2).jpg

OTOH, these 2 seem to go along quite well

MAH03785(1).jpg

I pass by this Lemmy wannabe once every other day or so. I wonder if he has any other clothes:

MAH03787 (2).jpg

Pigeons are getting too lazy for their own good apparently:

MAH03787 (3).jpg

I went up the Edogawa today from Shibamata to Sekiyado.
It was a nice ride.
Not so humid.
The last 16kms sucked though when the 'Minami Kaze' kicked in as it always does in Summer.
At least the heat made the beer taste better.

So, on the weekend I found out that those lined water bottles are actually really good at keeping iced water cool. So this morning i thought I'd add some ice to my water bottle, unfortunately the ice sitting at the top seemed to mean there was some type of condensation formed on the outside of the bottle so when i went to take my first swig it was totally covered in dust and grime....

One step forward one step back!!

In other news, I've changed the way I ride in the last few months, going from a high cadence spinner to a low cadence grinder (Focussing on no downstroke, and consistent controlled breathing), and it's paying off. Im definitely able to maintain my pace longer and my sprints have been improving as my legs seem to be getting stronger. It doesn't seem to be helping my climbing though...

Today's commute camera recorded, in order of appearance:

Smashed truck

MAH03793 (2).jpg

Copper running... with a tape
MAH03795(1).jpg
Levitating biker - riding with his legs crossed

MAH03795(2).jpg

MAH03795(3).jpg

So, on the weekend I found out that those lined water bottles are actually really good at keeping iced water cool. So this morning i thought I'd add some ice to my water bottle, unfortunately the ice sitting at the top seemed to mean there was some type of condensation formed on the outside of the bottle so when i went to take my first swig it was totally covered in dust and grime....

One step forward one step back!!

In other news, I've changed the way I ride in the last few months, going from a high cadence spinner to a low cadence grinder (Focussing on no downstroke, and consistent controlled breathing), and it's paying off. Im definitely able to maintain my pace longer and my sprints have been improving as my legs seem to be getting stronger. It doesn't seem to be helping my climbing though...

I too have become a fan of those insulated bottles.

If I won't need to fill up on the go, I usually just freeze a couple of old bottles the night before.

But the insulated ones are great when you are filling up on the go.

Today I did a 4h ride in the heat. 2 bottles an hour. 8 bottles. Filling up at cold water springs.

_20170719_160859.JPG

The insulated bottles keep the water icy cool for an hour, probably more.

One of the bottles has a concealed nozzle which you flick open at the press of a button. I guess this adds to the insulation quality but also prevents it picking up any grime.

The hatchet rattles if you don't close it which is a nice reminder too...

Anyway keep hydrated as we enter deep summer!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Look who I met tonight, right here in Tokyo instead on the top of Izoard

IMG_20170721_204830_HDR.jpg

Reactions: PSB
Did a hill climb race today out near Kofu. This one:
http://www.tour-de-nippon.jp/series/nirasaki2017/
Can recommend it for the entertainment, free food, good vibes, great surroundings, and view of Mt Fuji (on a clear day).
Also, the top 24 finishers get a jersey! Can't say fairer than that. Almost cheapens the prize. Since I finished 22nd that doesn't bother me ;)
Another race I can recommend is happening in October and goes up the Tomin no Mori road to the top of Kazahari. Close enough to Tokyo you can even ride out on the morning of the race. Entries open now!:
http://www.kfctriathlon.jp/html/event_bike.html#hinohara_stage

Last edited:
Since my last post, I have ridden in Williamsburg VA, later I drove my car across the Richmond World Championship course to park so I could go MTBing along the river (fantastic course along the river).
20157912_10213156474245002_1399516600315536798_o.jpg

Since I have been back (last Friday) I have hit the trails twice in the Zushi area. Sadly, my luck once I got back home wasn't a good as in the States.

20229583_10155447708847808_4518244151391349393_o.jpg

All in all, great times. Getting my ass kicked by my buddies while we kicked some younger guys asses on the trail was humorous.
The 40+ crew was crushing it on hardtails and just enjoying the ride.
After three weeks in the US, the Richmond ride was the only time I missed "home"
In all honesty, I could not get on a plane fast enough to come back here...

^ @bloker お帰りなさい
This month I have had a week off the bike. Some grass or plant allergic reaction resulting in welts on my thighs and back after doing a mobility warm up before a game in the park. I didn't take pictures, but there have been a few comments.

Back
Top Bottom