What's new

Jimba onsen run

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
I'm doing my patented "Otarumi-Jimba Onsen Rindo-Wada" out-and-back run tomorrow if anyone's interested in joining me. I have to work, so I plan on leaving early-ish.

I'll try to leave Takao at around 8 a.m. (EDIT: 8:30 rollout is confirmed) then ride out to Wada toge and back. It covers around 65km, has five climbs and approaches 2,000m of climbing.

Deej

Hi Deej,
I'd love to join you on this one, but I am yet to confirm my schedule.
Will post later once it's settled.

Sergey!

Sounds good. We are way overdue for a ride.

Also, I won't be going for any personal bests -- just out to enjoy a spin in the hills to keep decent form.

If 8:00 from Takao is too early, I can bump it to 8:30. *cough Thomas cough*

Deej

Also, I won't be going for any personal bests -- just out to enjoy a spin in the hills to keep decent form.

Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post and spray Pocari Sweat in your eyes.

:D:D:D

hilarious

Ha! After I posted that, I immediately thought of Philip's post and realized that anyone who has ridden with me probably won't believe me.

Truth is, I will be out for blood, and second place is not an option. And believe me, I've got weapons far more potent than Pocari Sweat in my arsenal.

Rubber side down!

Deej

If 8:00 from Takao is too early, I can bump it to 8:30. *cough Thomas cough*

Deej, I would really love to join, but that's too early for an ol' Eastender. I'll do an Arakawa-Chichibu loop tomorrow, provided the weather gods show mercy.

I understand, Thomas. But dang, we better ride together soon, 'cause it's been far too long, my TCC brother.

But if you happen to reconsider, you'll be pleased to find out that a special guest star will be joining the ride tomorrow. Tune in to find out who!

Deej

8:30 rollout

Okie-dokie, rollout is at 8:30 a.m. from the 7/11 outside Takao Station.

However, if it is raining, I will not ride. I'll check the weather in the morning and send PMs if I'm pulling out.

Definites:
Me
Clay

Maybes:
Sergey

Any other takers?

Deej

Sorry, i guess i'll have to skip it :(
next time...

Have fun!

Just as a follow-up, Clay and I had a short but sweet day in the hills. Our man echothree claims to have been hung over and called his riding "weak-arsed," but he still had me gasping -- and failing -- to keep up on the steeps.

For those keeping score (namely, me) he was well over a minute faster up Otarumi and about 2 minutes faster up Wada (west approach).

Oh, and I uncovered one of Clay's secrets to TT greatness -- rolling starts. No wonder the dude is shattering records hither and thither.

At one point, he glanced at my stem and asked, somewhat scornfully it seemed, "Is that an 80?" To which I hurrumphed, "Hell no, it's not an 80. It's a hunnerd." Deej does not run stubby-arsed stems. (Though some may argue that 100 is edging dangerously close to stubby territory.) I think the masculine Italian styling of my Stella Azzurra stem intimidated Clay and made him lash out as a weird kind of pre-emptive strike.

I, meanwhile, accused him of using reflectors on his wheels. He said he never had reflectors on his wheels. Last time we rode, I saw reflectors. It's OK man, reflectors are safe. And safe is cool.

Next weekend, we are looking to head for the hills again. The dreaded Mikuni has been named as a possible battleground. I'm thinking we should get a TCC posse together and go bag us some peaks. But maybe that's something to be discussed in a different thread.

Deej

I can't believe I let this one slip under the radar! I just noticed your post Deej, and I am obligated to post a rejoinder.

Only a couple of the high climb times are rolling starts - I was granted permission from Simon to have a rolling start on Otarumi after he said that the mighty Deej starts with a rolling start. Your honour, I can present GPS data indicating a start from stationary for all other TCC approved climbs. (and I'll redo Otarumi from stop start for you Deej!) :p

As for the accusation of reflectors *cough splutter splutter* From their moment of construction my wheels have never been disgraced with such adornments. Such a slap in the face can mean only one thing - Showdown at Mikuni. This weekend. *cue music*

good_bad_ugly.jpg

Deej, you're looking most like that middle guy, all shifty eyed and such.

I was granted permission from Simon to have a rolling start on Otarumi after he said that the mighty Deej starts with a rolling start.

Lies! I've done rolling starts before, but all my TCC times are from a dead stop.

Such a slap in the face can mean only one thing - Showdown at Mikuni. This weekend. *cue music*

You're on, hombre.

Deej, you're looking most like that middle guy, all shifty eyed and such.

Ooh. Gratuitous potshots from cowyboy Clay:

2634533766_83a42a7611.jpg

And you got me all wrong, pardner. If I am to be represented by a cowboy, then this best captures the devastating blend of humility and raw power that is Deej.

HappyBirthdayGayCowboy.jpg

Hello, is this mic on?

Anyhoo, let's try to figure out what route to take. maybe this?
Anyone else want to join us for a Mikuni run on Saturday? Come on, let's posse up!

Deej

Odawara sounds good to me.
This time I really think you should take that kick-stand off your bike Deej. Yes, I know you said it's really practical and goes with the pink paintwork, but it's starting to hurt your hill climbing times.
43539_Lg.png

I might be persuaded--what time were you thinking of rolling out?

Great, hope you can join. The thread has been moved here.

We'll be rolling out of Hon Atsugi at 8 a.m. Some will be leaving Tokyo earlier by bike. I'm taking the Odakyu line out.

Deej

Back
Top Bottom