What's new

Japanese Map for 1040

Michael Mumford

Cruising
Jun 5, 2013
Has anyone bought a Japanese Garmin 1040 yet? If you have are you willing to provide a Map file to me? I'm willing to pay for the file. I have an American Garmin 1040 and don't have the Japanese map. Thanks
THank you
Mike

Non Japanese Garmin devices don't support Japanese letters, so you can't use the Japanese map on them.
I'll PM you a link to maps made from OpenStreetMaps. It's what I use and should work on your 1040.

The roads/everything is in romaji and usually automatic, so some place names will be incorrect but I make do.
Generally I don't use the search function on the Garmin anyway, as long as the GPS works you can use it for any pre made routes you have.

Thanks, I will download the map and give it a try. I have an old copy on my 1030, but when I transfer it to the 1040 it messed up the 1040. So maybe I just had a corrupt file.
Thanks
Mike

Official Japanese (and worldwide) Garmin maps are free on the 1040, you only need to connect your 1040 to Garmin express (on a PC/Mac), check the box for the Japanese map, wait for it to download and you're good to go

I opened the Garmin Express but I don't see where a box is for the map. Do you have a screen shot? Thanks

I opened the Garmin Express but I don't see where a box is for the map. Do you have a screen shot? Thanks
you need the 1040 to be connected
Thank you, I just updated my express and now I have the buttons. Thanks again

Official Japanese (and worldwide) Garmin maps are free on the 1040, you only need to connect your 1040 to Garmin express (on a PC/Mac), check the box for the Japanese map, wait for it to download and you're good to go
That's a great step -- Wish they'd bring that functionality backwards so I could get native maps on my unit.
A lot simpler than converting OpenStreetMap data, too!

I have a set of scripts to make garmin compatible maps from OSM data. It also transliterates Japanese text into romanji (my garmins are non-Japanese models). Let me know if you'd like an img file or if you're interested in trying to actually run the scripts yourself.

Thank you, I just updated my express and now I have the buttons. Thanks again
Hi. So you were able to use the official Japanese maps with the American Garmin? Am thinking to pull the trigger :)

Hi. So you were able to use the official Japanese maps with the American Garmin? Am thinking to pull the trigger :)
Yes I was and its a really nice map. Plus it was free so you can't beat it. You should pull the trigger I love the 1040, plus the battery life is crazy good. I ride to work 5 days a week so it's on for about 45 mins each way an after three weeks of use the battery was at 66%.. So i'm super happy with it..

Yes I was and its a really nice map. Plus it was free so you can't beat it. You should pull the trigger I love the 1040, plus the battery life is crazy good. I ride to work 5 days a week so it's on for about 45 mins each way an after three weeks of use the battery was at 66%.. So i'm super happy with it..
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Will put in my order :)

Non Japanese Garmin devices don't support Japanese letters, so you can't use the Japanese map on them.
I'll PM you a link to maps made from OpenStreetMaps. It's what I use and should work on your 1040.

The roads/everything is in romaji and usually automatic, so some place names will be incorrect but I make do.
Generally I don't use the search function on the Garmin anyway, as long as the GPS works you can use it for any pre made routes you have.
Hi, got my EU version of the 1040. I installed the Garmin Japan map, but it is of course half the fun, since Kanjis are not shown. Tried to install an OSM map from bbbike.org as supp, but didn't get recognized. It seems the 1040 series handles these maps a bit different to X30.

Could you show me the way to have a map with romanji and POI?

Road bike rental Japan has an instruction page and free download of a current OSM map. (You need to use a valid payment method to get it, but it is free.)

The romanization of place names is not perfect in the OSM. For example my little district of 神木 is called 'shiboku' but 'kamiki' is an equally valid reading that's used in other locations and on this occasion the map has the 'wrong' one. Most place names are fine though.

I have confirmed that this map works with Edge 1040:

OSM...
2023-04-05-11-09-29.jpg

Garmin official map...
2023-04-05-11-18-45.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a 1040 solar, but with the release of the new 840 with a solar version I might go that route instead, or see if the 1040 comes down a bit in price given the new models.

I'm a little confused about the info in this thread though. I was looking at buying overseas so I don't get penalized by the weak yen, but I'm not really clear on the map issues. If anyone can help clarify that would be great.

So you can download the maps for any region for free from Garmin (that's awesome), but the Japanese maps don't display kanji correctly on an overseas unit, is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom