What's new

Help Japanese ergometer: "kp" = kilopond?

Azikara

Speeding Up
Feb 2, 2011
I have an ergometer in my gym and it has a very weird interface with the resistance being measured in and being able to be adjusted by increments of 0.1 kp. It does eventually measure watts but only after you've done your session.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this unit of measure was. kilopond is a non-standard (non-SI) unit of measure for the force of one kilogram acting in earth's gravity. I was wondering if this was the same thing.

If this is the case, then I guess I could measure the watts for a certain cadence (angular velocity) and at a specific kp.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 8
Thanks jdd but that's kp.m/min and not just kp. This bike only shows resistance in kp. Also, I don't know if the kp is measured as the force required to turn the pedals (seems low) or the force added to some resistance mechanism. It's a mystery.

Well, in google search, type in:

convert:

...followed by your units of choice.

I also looked at an old iPad app called "Convert Units" and "kp" was not an option when converting watts.

You could have a look in the user manual and see what it says there, if anything.

Those bikes are expensive tho. 480,000 yens!

Thanks Mike for the manual. That might help even though my Japanese is almost non-existent.

Power (Watts) = Load (KP) × Pedalling cadence (rpm) × 0.98

Hmm John...seems directionally correct since P = torque x 2Pi radians x angular velocity. I wonder how it is derived.

The 0.98 seems like the gravitational constant divided by 10.

So using this, 3 x 90 x .98 would be 264 watts which is about what it felt like.

Back
Top Bottom