What's new

Japan Cup 2013 - have you been there before?

Bartek

Maximum Pace
Jun 28, 2010
I am planning a trip to Utsunomiya with my family for Japan Cup 2013. Unfortunately, we decided a bit to late and couldn't find any accomodation in the area below Y40000 per room. The closest hotel that had rooms was a hotel in Utsunomiya about 20km away.

Could anyone who's been there before let me know if -

1. there are any shuttle buses from Utsunomiya station to the race or are there any parking lots provided for the visitors near the circuit?

2. what else is there besides the Sunday race? Any attractions the day before on Saturday?

3. Any attractions for the kids?

4. I assume the START/FINISH area is closed to public unless you have a ticket. What are good, free spots to view the race?

5. any other advise?

Thanks in advance :)

Bart

1. there are any shuttle buses from Utsunomiya station to the race or are there any parking lots provided for the visitors near the circuit?

NO.

2. what else is there besides the Sunday race? Any attractions the day before on Saturday?

You could race the citizens race, Last year they had a criterium in the city center.

3. Any attractions for the kids?

Not really, ask Andy Wood as he sometimes takes his kid and can give you more info on family orientated things in the area.

4. I assume the START/FINISH area is closed to public unless you have a ticket. What are good, free spots to view the race?

Top of the major climb (KOM) is normally where most of the fanatics group.

5. any other advise?

If you are looking to use this event for "Buy in" to your hobby from the wife and family members then I would strongly suggest not taking them and going with riding buddies, the Tour of Japan, Tokyo Stage is a far better spectators event and easier to get to, although the class 1 big names will not be there or wait for the Tour 100th tie in race later this year which will have some even bigger names attending.

But honestly speaking, unless your family are all bike freaks then trying to convince them that it will be a great weekend away is a bad idea. I speak from experience from having my wife and family following me for 1 year around the JCF and JCRC circuit and the only events my wife really enjoyed was the criteriums.....oh the kids races that my sprogs raced in.

NO.

If you are looking to use this event for "Buy in" to your hobby from the wife and family members then I would strongly suggest not taking them and going with riding buddies, the Tour of Japan, Tokyo Stage is a far better spectators event and easier to get to, although the class 1 big names will not be there or wait for the Tour 100th tie in race later this year which will have some even bigger names attending.

But honestly speaking, unless your family are all bike freaks then trying to convince them that it will be a great weekend away is a bad idea. I speak from experience from having my wife and family following me for 1 year around the JCF and JCRC circuit and the only events my wife really enjoyed was the criteriums.....oh the kids races that my sprogs raced in.

Wow! Really? No shuttle buses and no parking? But surely there must be people who will drive there. They must leave their cars somewhere.

As for my family, well, they are actually looking forward to it. I didn't have to convince them at all. They enjoy things like that :)

Most take their bikes and leave the cars at the Ryokan/Hotel etc.

a very cheap run down hotel in oyama that is always 90% vacant. Large and run by an elderly couple who don't seem to care about filling the place. The rooms are fine. A short ride on the train to Utsunomiya...maybe a bit too far fro your liking.
I've stayed there twice...

古城園ホテル
1 Chome-3−6 Shiroyamacho
Oyama, Tochigi Prefecture 323-0025
0285-22-1350

Buy a family sized tent and turn it into a camping trip. Kids love camping and this way you save money, get close to the event and have options for the next few years until they turn into teenagers and think camping is the sux.

a very cheap run down hotel in oyama that is always 90% vacant. Large and run by an elderly couple who don't seem to care about filling the place. The rooms are fine. A short ride on the train to Utsunomiya...maybe a bit too far fro your liking.
I've stayed there twice...

古城園ホテル
1 Chome-3−6 Shiroyamacho
Oyama, Tochigi Prefecture 323-0025
0285-22-1350

Thank you. I'll definitely check it out.

Buy a family sized tent and turn it into a camping trip. Kids love camping and this way you save money, get close to the event and have options for the next few years until they turn into teenagers and think camping is the sux.

Tent is not a problem. We camp all the time. It has crossed my mind, but I am worried that it will be a bit cold this time of year at that elevation. If it was only me then no problem. But with a 5 year old, wifey might not like the idea.

I rode out there with the HFC crew. It was a good ride and fun event. Kind of middle of nowhere. if you take kids and family I'd suggest a car or van. Don't know about you, but my kid is not keen to sit by the road for 6 hrs and just see a group of MAMILs swoop by every 30min. I'd say the downtown Crit is much more fan worthy and fun for everyone.

I went there last year and there was a shuttle bus from utsunomiya station direst to the race. It wasn`t free though. I can remember seeing what looked like parking areas on the way but not sure if you would need to pay. A lot of people werecycling from utsunomiya station to the race.

There`s not much there for anyone who isn`t interested in cycling so wouldn`t really recomm

I rode out there with the HFC crew. It was a good ride and fun event. Kind of middle of nowhere. if you take kids and family I'd suggest a car or van. Don't know about you, but my kid is not keen to sit by the road for 6 hrs and just see a group of MAMILs swoop by every 30min. I'd say the downtown Crit is much more fan worthy and fun for everyone.

Thanks Tim. Criterium does look like a much more interesting event.

I went there last year and there was a shuttle bus from utsunomiya station direst to the race. It wasn`t free though. I can remember seeing what looked like parking areas on the way but not sure if you would need to pay. A lot of people werecycling from utsunomiya station to the race.

There`s not much there for anyone who isn`t interested in cycling so wouldn`t really recomm

I thought there should be some kind of shuttle bus. Good to know. Thanks.

Race has started! First lap and already a group of Asian riders has gone away. Like every year. It's raining. 9 laps to go...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21382232336.688170.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21382232361.131378.jpg

Not envious of those conditions - but it makes for some good racing! Whats gonna win? Early break? Or sit in and conserve until the last lap?

Not envious of those conditions - but it makes for some good racing! Whats gonna win? Early break? Or sit in and conserve until the last lap?

No way will the break survive.
Second lap:
Lonely champion systems rider on the front.
Asian break +20
Peloton +1.50

CS Lone Ranger still at the front
Jbreak +1:30
Peloton +3
yvu3yjyg.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21382235004.469973.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21382235004.469973.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
CS rider - German tough guy Friedemann. Keeping a 3min advantage on the peloton and riding away from the j chasers.
vasujequ.jpg

du6e9u7u.jpg

hard to tell,could be the Irish national Champion Matt Brammeier - thus why he is killing it in the rain (Standard Delux weather, probably complaining it's too hot) or Chad Beyer as this course really suits him

We had to abort as the weather grew worse and we had the cutest fan with us (1yr old). Chapeau to the hardmen battling it out to the bitter end, what a race to end the season.

Japanese lasted longer this year and apart from Basso most of the big names retired early. The uk winner made his own race. The 5 man chasing group was doomed because sky had two man in and nobody commited to chasing.

Japanese break with 2laps to go:
yzypypyn.jpg

Sky chasing:
yhahy9an.jpg

Back
Top Bottom