What's new

Japan Cup 2012

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
http://www.japancup.gr.jp/2012/

Went there in 2010, missed it last year...

I'm supposed to work this weekend (Oct 19/20/21) but just had a nice invitation to attend this year's event. Going to try and book a hotel but probably already full in Utsunomiya. Working in Oyama so may be able to mix it up...

Robbie McEwen will be riding...

Decisions, decisions...

Also still up in the air here, but the Sagan brothers will be in town!!! Maybe a good chance to see a future legend?!
I could easily see him try to blow up the crit first and then go for it again at the race proper.

I was lucky to meet Robbie McEwen at the 2010 edition - a really top guy.

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2010/10/japan-cup-2010.html

For me this is the best event in Japan by far. You can meet and ride with the pros on Saturday morning. Race against the best amateurs in Japan on arguably the toughest course in the afternoon (for just 4000 yen). Head into town for a few beers and watch the criterium on Saturday evening. See how the pros take on the RR course on Sunday morning.

For those wanting to do it on the cheap, there is a free campsite on the course itself. There's a great atmosphere but it's a bit chilly...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Some friends and I are planning on going out to watch the mountain stage on the Sunday (Oct 21) but are not sure on the best way to get there. The route we have looked at involves a 40 min bus ride from Utsumomiya and then a 50 min walk to Shinrin-koen. Does anyone know of any quicker/easier ways to get out there? Any help would be much appreciated.

Some friends and I are planning on going out to watch the mountain stage on the Sunday (Oct 21) but are not sure on the best way to get there. The route we have looked at involves a 40 min bus ride from Utsumomiya and then a 50 min walk to Shinrin-koen. Does anyone know of any quicker/easier ways to get out there? Any help would be much appreciated.

Don't have the details but there is a closer train line further West.
The best option which I did once was to get the train to Utsunomiya with bikes in bags and ride there.
The finish line is a long walk uphill and then a long walk downhill. If you get there early, ride to the top, park your bikes with the 100s of other bikes then it is very easy to walk around the hilly part of the course.

The other option is to stay down on the flat part where they sweep around the corner to head back up the hilly section. Big konbini there and also 1000s of people.

The atmosphere at the top with all the food stalls, bike promo tents, big screen etc is well worth the effort but you have to get up the hill on the bikes before the race starts.

Going to be a huge crowd there...

Just watch Nasu; A migratory bird with suitcase and you'll understand what he is on about.

I was lucky to meet Robbie McEwen at the 2010 edition - a really top guy.

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2010/10/japan-cup-2010.html

For me this is the best event in Japan by far. You can meet and ride with the pros on Saturday morning. Race against the best amateurs in Japan on arguably the toughest course in the afternoon (for just 4000 yen). Head into town for a few beers and watch the criterium on Saturday evening. See how the pros take on the RR course on Sunday morning.

For those wanting to do it on the cheap, there is a free campsite on the course itself. There's a great atmosphere but it's a bit chilly...

Andy

Is that 4000Yen an open race? Organized by which body (JCBF?)? Where to register?

Is that 4000Yen an open race? Organized by which body (JCBF?)? Where to register?

It will be on sports entry.

Apologies, I haven't visited the site for a while.

Applications - these are made through the official website. A really simple application form which you print out and post in. Applications have finished unfortunately.

TV - I watched the start of the Criterium in the onsen last year, so it does go out live on TV. Whether this is the local network of satellite, I'm not sure.

The atmosphere at the top with all the food stalls, bike promo tents, big screen etc is well worth the effort but you have to get up the hill on the bikes before the race starts.

Going to be a huge crowd there...

There's actually another road that goes up to the start area. I usually warm up on this one. It's to the left of the road that goes up from the combini and joins this road about 200m before the start area.

Unfortunately i won't be going. I chose the cheaper (and easier!) option of a day trip to the JCRC at Gunma CC. Hope you all enjoy the event. I'm sure you will!

Andy

Just came across this great footage of the criterium from Robbie McEwen's bike. Enjoy

[yt]Z2e3Kyw4z30#![/yt]

Pics

That reminds me - I took a few snaps while at the race which I've been meaning to post this last two weeks. Here they are...

Registration for citizens races through japan cup home page open. Jcf license required.

Back
Top Bottom