What's new

Japan and alternatives to Wiggle CRC..........

This is an aside... but often on Japanese cycling retailers if you read the fine print they say that even if the website says it's "In stock" it may not be in stock. What they mean is they think they have the ability to order the product, and then send it to you.

Even on CycleBase Asahi's website it says "The inventory status of listed products is not linked to actual inventory information. After placing your order, we will check stock and notify you by email. Therefore, please be aware in advance that the product may not be available after you place your order."

Sometimes they have really obscure refund / cancellation policies. One I saw recently said they'd let you know if it's actually in stock after your order, and if it's not they'll let you transfer / exchange the purchase amount AFTER they subtract a 880 yen administration fee.
Indeed. Personally I won't touch domestic retailers unless I'm desperate. Parallel import systems and immediate 30% mark up on everything so that every middle-man gets a cut. Their sales/return policies are like they're doing you a favour by selling it to you. Unless you can find it on Amazon Prime...

...which is lovely, but you're limited to taking only 1 bottle of it with you (2 max but what's the point in Japan with Konbinis and machines). Unless you've figured out a way of turning your mixture into tablets, of course...
I take 2 - 3 bottles with me. For longer rides I take pre-mixed packs. I bought some small containers on amazon to put the powder in. Plenty of restrooms to stop at to re-fill bottles. Worst case scenario you duck into a conbini and grab a liter of water.

The point is to hit my nurition goal for long rides. Don't get me wrong, on a 5-6 hour lazy day I love a nice conbini / cafe stop for a coffee & snack. But if I'm out for 3-4 hours of focused riding I don't want to stop and I want to have my nutrition with me. So I take 2 bottles on my bike and 1 in a pocket.

Maybe one of the 6 flavors of Calpis concentrates? They can deliver about 100g+/180ml and are inexpensive, especially if your local super has the 1L cartons. I could never drink this straight though. Waaaay too sweet.
Honestly never looked at Calpis for nutrition! haha. Never occurred to me.

I'd have to do the yen/bottle conversion. My Malto/Fructose 90g bottles cost at most 256yen/bottle. The 5kg of Malto is ususally 3,500 - 4,000y and the Fructose for 1kg is around 630y. So... 2.58y per gram of carbohydrate?

It looks like 1L of Calpis concentrate is 560g of carbs. So 1.35yen per gram (using the current price on Amazon)! Pretty good. I'd have to look at the breakdown of where those carbs are coming from. Science at the moment says the human body can absorb Glucose & Fructose. Your gut has individual receptors for each molecule. But, they top out around 60g/hour in uptake. Which is why you use a mix of two molecules. Theoretically you can put 60g/hour into each, which is how a lot of pros are hitting the 120g/hour number. Get the wrong mix or don't have a trained gut and you'll end up with... a really bad day on the bike haha.

Energen is pretty good as a ready made powder for drinks. 59g of carbs + assorted electrolytes in a 64g pack of powder (they recommend mixing with 1 litre of water), although I usually just use apple juice with a bit of water and a pinch of salt.

This is an aside... but often on Japanese cycling retailers if you read the fine print they say that even if the website says it's "In stock" it may not be in stock. What they mean is they think they have the ability to order the product, and then send it to you.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is due to some ancient IT system on the backend. Even if it is not from 1997, it might have been designed as if it was 1997 ;) (Just have a look at the boat load of web pages that still doesn't work properly on mobile.)

I agree with you about Japanese retailers.
Sometimes they have really obscure refund / cancellation policies. One I saw recently said they'd let you know if it's actually in stock after your order, and if it's not they'll let you transfer / exchange the purchase amount AFTER they subtract a 880 yen administration fee.
It is as if Amazon does not exist and quite weird if you consider what customer service is like in Japan if you are face-to-face.

Available almost anywhere and all the year round, cheap, nutritious, tasty, easy to digest, biodegradable packaging: bananas.

As far as I know they contain no pork, shellfish, caffeine or alcohol, so they should be fine for the devout as well as the irreligious.

And I've a hunch that they also help you stay slim.

But could somebody besotted with Amazon buy bananas from there? It was such a ludicrous idea that I had to take a look. And the answer turns out to be yes, amazon.co.jp will sell you bananas.

-- if you can order them, that is. There are some things that I routinely if reluctantly buy from amazon.co.jp. But for the last three or four days I've been unable to do so. Clicking on the button レジに進む brings a plain white window. (It looks completely blank, but Ctrl-U reveals that it's the result of a pile of code.) I guessed that what was happening to me would happen to others, and that amazon.co.jp would get complaints from people more desperate to shop than I am and that they'd fix the problem; but they haven't done so yet.

P

Available almost anywhere and all the year round, cheap, nutritious, tasty, easy to digest, biodegradable packaging: bananas.

As far as I know they contain no pork, shellfish, caffeine or alcohol, so they should be fine for the devout as well as the irreligious.

And I've a hunch that they also help you stay slim.

But could somebody besotted with Amazon buy bananas from there? It was such a ludicrous idea that I had to take a look. And the answer turns out to be yes, amazon.co.jp will sell you bananas.

-- if you can order them, that is. There are some things that I routinely if reluctantly buy from amazon.co.jp. But for the last three or four days I've been unable to do so. Clicking on the button レジに進む brings a plain white window. (It looks completely blank, but Ctrl-U reveals that it's the result of a pile of code.) I guessed that what was happening to me would happen to others, and that amazon.co.jp would get complaints from people more desperate to shop than I am and that they'd fix the problem; but they haven't done so yet.

P
i love bananas, but my gut doesnt handle it very well while doing efforts. too high on fiber, i guess.
also, hard to carry if ones goal is to hit anything above 30 grams of carbs per hour

i love bananas, but my gut doesnt handle it very well while doing efforts. too high on fiber, i guess.
also, hard to carry if ones goal is to hit anything above 30 grams of carbs per hour
I love, love bananas, banana milk shakes are my go-to recovery drink. But I rarely take one with me. And packing more than one has always ended in mushy bananas.

I take 2 - 3 bottles with me. For longer rides I take pre-mixed packs. I bought some small containers on amazon to put the powder in. Plenty of restrooms to stop at to re-fill bottles. Worst case scenario you duck into a conbini and grab a liter of water.

The point is to hit my nurition goal for long rides. Don't get me wrong, on a 5-6 hour lazy day I love a nice conbini / cafe stop for a coffee & snack. But if I'm out for 3-4 hours of focused riding I don't want to stop and I want to have my nutrition with me. So I take 2 bottles on my bike and 1 in a pocket.
Horses for courses. Personally, I'm never going to take 2 bottles of anything unless I know for sure that there won't be anything along the way, and certainly not 3. Debates around nutritional values aside, why bother when there are vending machines or konbinis every few km. It doesn't make sense in Japan, surely.

Horses for courses. Personally, I'm never going to take 2 bottles of anything unless I know for sure that there won't be anything along the way, and certainly not 3. Debates around nutritional values aside, why bother when there are vending machines or konbinis every few km. It doesn't make sense in Japan, surely.
Like you said, horses for courses. All depends. I guess it doesn't make sense for the way you like to ride. For me it makes a lot of sense for the various reasons I already mentioned. Money, time, personal fueling goals. Conbini & vending machines don't check all those boxes for me.

I was just trying to provide an example of a solution to cycling nutrition based on your original question. If the convenience store meets all of your nutritional needs, why bother with looking to import / buy anything else online?

Like you said, horses for courses. All depends. I guess it doesn't make sense for the way you like to ride. For me it makes a lot of sense for the various reasons I already mentioned. Money, time, personal fueling goals. Conbini & vending machines don't check all those boxes for me.

I was just trying to provide an example of a solution to cycling nutrition based on your original question. If the convenience store meets all of your nutritional needs, why bother with looking to import / buy anything else online?
Because it doesn't. My fuelling regime is similar to pro riders except I can't get handed bottles from a car. The SIS bars and gels deliver the nutrients I need, plus they're easy to carry. (You can get a lot of bars/gels in your pockets yes?) I didn't mention drinking/hydration per se. I see that as a heavy burden that I don't want to carry up any mountains or hills. I carry hydration tabs, or buy green tea or Pocari or just plain water depending on the heat and workload. I just don't see why you'd carry so much fluid with you when you can obtain it so easily here.
My initial question was where to obtain SIS products or similar.

There's a chocolate version that stops it fully tasting of anko. Had one recently on the Arakawa, sadly when I squeezed it managed to burst open the seam along middle instead of the end.
Tried the chocolate one yesterday. Pleasantly surprised!

Back
Top Bottom