What's new

Japan and alternatives to Wiggle CRC..........

DickyC

Cruising
Feb 29, 2024
Having relied on Wiggle for my riding nutrition needs for so many years, I am now desperately trying to find another supplier, as this company dies an inevitable death.
I use SIS products; namely GO energy bars and gels, plus the OTE flapjack bars are great. I used to put in an order every few months with free Japan postage and it was a very cost-effective way of fuelling with high quality scoff.
Brexit also seems to have limited the number of companies willing to send anything here, or to the UK (where I can get things sent on if needed)
Amazon.jp is largely stocked with cr*p, as far as I can see.
I am trying some 'Winzone' gels as a test at the moment, and despite being very sweet, they seem to work well, performance wise.
No luck so far with bars, either poor quality or ridiculously priced.
Is anyone else in the same pickle as me?
Any ideas welcome!

Buy a gel flask and put diluted honey (or agave, table sugar, mizuame, etc.) with lemon / salt / etc in it.
Gels are a racket.
As for bars, supermarket yokan are arguably a superior overall product, but they do also make "sports" yokan here.
As for sports drinks, Activike products aren't completely exorbitant and are apparently pretty popular with cyclists here.
It's pretty hard to home-make a high carb sports drink that actually tastes good...

Buy a gel flask and put diluted honey (or agave, table sugar, mizuame, etc.) with lemon / salt / etc in it.
Gels are a racket.
As for bars, supermarket yokan are arguably a superior overall product, but they do also make "sports" yokan here.
As for sports drinks, Activike products aren't completely exorbitant and are apparently pretty popular with cyclists here.
It's pretty hard to home-make a high carb sports drink that actually tastes good...
hmmm, yeah I'm. not going to do that. Cheers anyway

For the events I organize here we use Wingram Gels and drinks. 300kcal of slow release fuel in those gels.

But I'm old school. Just did 100km on the rollers with 3 bananas, a jam sandwich and 2 bottles of "mugi cha" barley tea!

I only really use gels for racing. Even then I try to get in some more solid fuel.

"Daifuku" are a good cheap fuel source and easy to eat on the go if you wrap them individually in clingfilm.

Andy

Whatever you do, avoid BikeInn like the plague. They are hands down the worst online seller I've ever dealt with.
(I'm still waiting to receive a pair of winter bib tights I ordered last December and their customer support is non-existent.)

Whatever you do, avoid BikeInn like the plague. They are hands down the worst online seller I've ever dealt with.
(I'm still waiting to receive a pair of winter bib tights I ordered last December and their customer support is non-existent.)
Well, their website is definitely sh!te, and their customer service is pretty slow. However, they did refund me on a pair of Assos bibs recently, that were way outside the warranty. (Manufacturing issue on the grippers). Nutrition is a no-go though.

For the events I organize here we use Wingram Gels and drinks. 300kcal of slow release fuel in those gels.

But I'm old school. Just did 100km on the rollers with 3 bananas, a jam sandwich and 2 bottles of "mugi cha" barley tea!

I only really use gels for racing. Even then I try to get in some more solid fuel.

"Daifuku" are a good cheap fuel source and easy to eat on the go if you wrap them individually in clingfilm.

Andy
When I'm out on rides and don't have time to visit a cafe, gels and bars are how I do it. Sometimes I'll get coffee and an onigiri, but the other stuff is easy to carry and just works well. Buying the SIS products from Wiggle was way more cost effective than konbini food stops....

When I'm out on rides and don't have time to visit a cafe, gels and bars are how I do it. Sometimes I'll get coffee and an onigiri, but the other stuff is easy to carry and just works well. Buying the SIS products from Wiggle was way more cost effective than konbini food stops....
A few years ago, 8 to be precise!, I was sponsored by SIS and they even gave me money to support my trip to the Gran Fondo Worlds in Perth.

FB_IMG_1709359065889.jpg

Even then I did a bit of moonlighting for the man from Delmonte.

FB_IMG_1709359077180.jpg

But yes, likewise I never stop when riding solo so always leave with full pockets, maybe 1 gel amongst other stuff, the gel is often the emergency spare.

We'll stop on tomorrow's group ride, always stop for a chat on a big group ride, so I factor that into my fuelling.

If you want something that you always have handy to shove in your pockets, I think someone mentioned Sports Yokan which is good on the go fuel and squeezes out of it's packaging even more efficiently than gels.

Andy

A few years ago, 8 to be precise!, I was sponsored by SIS and they even gave me money to support my trip to the Gran Fondo Worlds in Perth.

View attachment 40208

Even then I did a bit of moonlighting for the man from Delmonte.

View attachment 40209

But yes, likewise I never stop when riding solo so always leave with full pockets, maybe 1 gel amongst other stuff, the gel is often the emergency spare.

We'll stop on tomorrow's group ride, always stop for a chat on a big group ride, so I factor that into my fuelling.

If you want something that you always have handy to shove in your pockets, I think someone mentioned Sports Yokan which is good on the go fuel and squeezes out of it's packaging even more efficiently than gels.

Andy
Thanks. I might badger SIS to see if they'll have a distributor here. Maybe time to try the youkan paste too, but I'm not optimistic that I'll like it.

Also agree. Ordered a Giro helmet that was "in stock" then waited 5 weeks with it stuck in a waiting arrival at dispatch centre status. In stock my arse.

Luckily I went back to Wiggle & found a cool Bell helmet I'm now loving. Made sure to stock up on other stuff & best nutrition good was the large tubs of peanut butter with no added palm oil etc. last me ages…

Thanks. I might badger SIS to see if they'll have a distributor here. Maybe time to try the youkan paste too, but I'm not optimistic that I'll like it.
There's a chocolate version that stops it fully tasting of anko. Had one recently on the Arakawa, sadly when I squeezed it managed to burst open the seam along middle instead of the end.

Why would you bother trying to make a carb drink from sugar, when you can easily buy Pocari etc? Money is not the issue here...
Because Pocari is not only over priced for what it is, it's also very watered down. It depends on how many grams of carbs per hour you're shooting for. Pocari is 33g of carbs per 500ml bottle. My personal goal, depending on the type of ride, is 90g. It would be comical to try and drink 1.5L of Pocari every hour to meet that.

I used to order Hi5 / SiS off of Wiggle. But even before they stopped shipping to Japan the price was over the top for a nutrition product. SiS is a 1:0.8 Maltodextrin:Fructose mix. On Japan Amazon you can buy 5kg bags of Maltodextrin and 1kg bags of Fructose and mix your own SiS, minus the flavoring, for very cheap. Add some Citric Acid for a nice lemon flavor. Add some salt if you think you need the electrolyte.

Also agree. Ordered a Giro helmet that was "in stock" then waited 5 weeks with it stuck in a waiting arrival at dispatch centre status. In stock my arse.

Luckily I went back to Wiggle & found a cool Bell helmet I'm now loving. Made sure to stock up on other stuff & best nutrition good was the large tubs of peanut butter with no added palm oil etc. last me ages…
This is an aside... but often on Japanese cycling retailers if you read the fine print they say that even if the website says it's "In stock" it may not be in stock. What they mean is they think they have the ability to order the product, and then send it to you.

Even on CycleBase Asahi's website it says "The inventory status of listed products is not linked to actual inventory information. After placing your order, we will check stock and notify you by email. Therefore, please be aware in advance that the product may not be available after you place your order."

Sometimes they have really obscure refund / cancellation policies. One I saw recently said they'd let you know if it's actually in stock after your order, and if it's not they'll let you transfer / exchange the purchase amount AFTER they subtract a 880 yen administration fee.

Because Pocari is not only over priced for what it is, it's also very watered down. It depends on how many grams of carbs per hour you're shooting for. Pocari is 33g of carbs per 500ml bottle. My personal goal, depending on the type of ride, is 90g. It would be comical to try and drink 1.5L of Pocari every hour to meet that.

I used to order Hi5 / SiS off of Wiggle. But even before they stopped shipping to Japan the price was over the top for a nutrition product. SiS is a 1:0.8 Maltodextrin:Fructose mix. On Japan Amazon you can buy 5kg bags of Maltodextrin and 1kg bags of Fructose and mix your own SiS, minus the flavoring, for very cheap. Add some Citric Acid for a nice lemon flavor. Add some salt if you think you need the electrolyte.
Maybe one of the 6 flavors of Calpis concentrates? They can deliver about 100g+/180ml and are inexpensive, especially if your local super has the 1L cartons. I could never drink this straight though. Waaaay too sweet.

...which is lovely, but you're limited to taking only 1 bottle of it with you (2 max but what's the point in Japan with Konbinis and machines). Unless you've figured out a way of turning your mixture into tablets, of course...

Back
Top Bottom