What's new

Today January 2024

Managed to do OK in 2023 with about 8k km total. Worked on my VV max square till it got cold and days got short. Dealt with a few more surgeries on skin cancer, 8 total. Wear your sunscreen folks!

As I get older, I have become much more traffic averse, so switching to much more indoor training or riding in the mountains on less used roads. Also thinking that maybe I should stay indoors and avoid the sun a bit more. My goal is to get something like 8k km again, and move to more upper body and weight training. Lost 4 kg since last January so I'm happy with that, but could stand to put some muscle on.

I'm actually over any need for N+1 and am content with my Ritchey Road Logic, my Outback, an old Cannondale dedicated to the trainer, and a Surly Cross Check for everyday stuff. This is good news to my long-suffering wife who has put up with my bike addiction for many years and allowed me to store them in the house. With the increase in price of most bikes and components, I'm happy to move to buying used products to nurse my 11s bikes along.

Best wishes to all in 2024.

Stayed in Tokorozawa over the festive period taking care of my daughter's black lab.
Just cycled back from there to Katsushika-ku in Tokyo to record my first biggish ride of the year so far.
Was nursing a fractured wrist from 8 weeks ago on the left hand and a freshly bitten wound to the right hand on the way home.
Managed to get home OK.
As soon as I arrived in the Tokyo environs I noticed how bad the cycling etiquette is here.

I have now done a cycle that has encompassed pretty much every kind of weather you can have
- Morning of cold and ice biting wind
- Morning of dry warm sun and blue skies
- Morning of grey clouds and blustery winds
- Afternoon of wind and some rain
- Afternoon of wind, rain, and cold
- Afternoon of wind, rain, and thunderstorms
- Afternoon of wind, sleet, and biting winds
- Evening of snow and cold winds

And that was just today. Insane how the weather changed but my word, so nice to have a 100km+ ride under the belt so soon this year.

Finally found time to tune the suspension on my Ripley. 2 quick rides on the trails by the house to finally finish dialing it in. For those that dont know - there are different kinds of suspensions. There are ballpark set it and forget it type suspensions that are pretty much perfect for 95% of people. There there is the 10,000 possible adjustments and sensitive to the weather type suspension... you can make it work exactly how you want, but it is tempermental AF. Guess what I use?

So after getting majority of the settings right, but realizing I want the fork more progressive... Remove air, open the fork, add a volume spacer. Add air, but not as much as before beause the fork is now more progressive. Lower air pressure letter the fork do its magic better on the small stuff, but the progression allows it to atill handle big hits.

BUT... lower air presure means all the High and Low speed compression and rebound settings need to be retweaked...

Did I ever tell you guys how much fun mountain biking is?

On the end of my first loop, I ran into this Lincoln Continental.
I took the pic because I used to have a 1979 Lincoln Town Car (4 door version of this).
This thing is an absolute land yacht!

1705182897042.png

Swung by my storage unit this moring...
I had to get some pictures of my forks I am selling.
Everytime I go to the unit, I air up the tires on the bikes I store there as well as my spare wheels.
Today is the first time in a long time I am considering selling some wheels....

These are the spare... 1 set of CK, 3 sets of i9, and one set of Mavics.
In another unit are 3 more spare set of wheels.
As I am riding less and less, spares are loosing their importance to me.

1705234113525.png

OMG! And here I am gnashing my teeth over having a spare set of wheels sitting in my living room!:eek:

OMG! And here I am gnashing my teeth over having a spare set of wheels sitting in my living room!:eek:
So those mavic allroad elite disc wheels second to last have not been ridden in over a year....
Probably prettier in your living room than my storage unit! ;)

I had to swing by the Nissan dealer to schedule a warranty repair.
I didn't need the van to schedule, so I took the gravel bike and the scenic route...

Baggies, jacket and some flat pedals made for a perfect hooligan ride!

And yes... that is a LOT of water. And I managed to consume it all.
My water intake recently has been ridiculous and I can't keep up with my thirst.
Even when not exercising.

g3.jpgg2.jpgg1.jpg

Bought a new HRM back in December. My Garmin Dual went TU after 1 month (corrosion). Decided to switch to a Wahoo HRM. It also bit the dust after a month (POS). Total cost for both was something like 15,000 yen. Decided to take a chance on a cheaper replacement since they just aren't lasting very long (or I have very bad luck with them) so bought something called a XOSS X2 for 3,500. It is working perfectly. No drop outs. Good connectivity. And if it fails, it is only 3,500 to replace.

Also bought the 1030 Plus computer. It is on its way. With the price at only $20 more than the Explorer 2 and with a larger screen, decided to go for it. Looking forward to next tiling season.

Bought a new HRM back in December. My Garmin Dual went TU after 1 month (corrosion). Decided to switch to a Wahoo HRM. It also bit the dust after a month (POS). Total cost for both was something like 15,000 yen. Decided to take a chance on a cheaper replacement since they just aren't lasting very long (or I have very bad luck with them) so bought something called a XOSS X2 for 3,500. It is working perfectly. No drop outs. Good connectivity. And if it fails, it is only 3,500 to replace.

Also bought the 1030 Plus computer. It is on its way. With the price at only $20 more than the Explorer 2 and with a larger screen, decided to go for it. Looking forward to next tiling season.
I bought a Coospo heart rate monitor (3,800 yen) last year. It worked fine but wearing a heart-rate strap seemed to make GERD worse so I switched to a Coospo armband optical HRM. It was more expensive but it's far more comfortable.

My water intake recently has been ridiculous and I can't keep up with my thirst.
Even when not exercising.
This might be something you might want to get checked out. If it is only a temporary thing, you can get peace of mind and, if it is something else, it is almost always beneficial to take care of things as soon as possible. 🙏

Last edited:
I bought a Coospo heart rate monitor (3,800 yen) last year. It worked fine but wearing a heart-rate strap seemed to make GERD worse so I switched to a Coospo armband optical HRM. It was more expensive but it's far more comfortable.
I was thinking of getting an armband HRM, but reviews indicated they didn't seem to be as accurate. How is yours doing?

Started this year with a blast it seems - clocked up 733km at the time of writing, though that's been a combination of indoor trainer and outside riding. Already logged a 100 km + ride, and will have done 3 successive weeks of 200 km+ riding.

In terms of recovery, the legs are feeling a bit heavy if I follow a ride with drinking a couple of beers, which is a nice reward, but when I don't drink, and look after the body, the legs are much better and feel good the next day.

What to do..

Last edited:
Nice going BeerTengoku. I love a beer after or even during rides, especially when it isn't Winter. If you ever find one that has anything useful in it for recovery after rides sign me up :flip:

I am still under 500km for this month but today's ride will be about 90km so I should be at least 550km. It is going to be a cold one though.

Nice going BeerTengoku. I love a beer after or even during rides, especially when it isn't Winter. If you ever find one that has anything useful in it for recovery after rides sign me up :flip:

I am still under 500km for this month but today's ride will be about 90km so I should be at least 550km. It is going to be a cold one though.
Somehow I was over 500km by the 15th which must be a record for me.. But this was due to a holidays. My monthly target is 500km.

I've been "dry" since 2022 and let me tell you. My legs ache during and after all rides just as much as when I drank at a professional level...
Actually, I'm sure my legs start to ache before rides. Like some Pavlovian reaction to looking outside then at the bike....

As I get increasing susceptible to cold I'm loving the bar mitts i got in Dec. Cheaper than gloves and I feel more in control.
Today i swapped pedals so i can use some SPD fizik Artic shoes I got at half price.
Tomorrow I'll head out on my coldest ride this year and see how long before a poorly installed pedal falls off...

I'm slowing building my route maps for a planned Shikoku 88 shrines (or is it temples?) bike packing tour..
I want to challenge myself to complete within two weeks... Not sure which month, maybe Oct.. but I'll share here in case someone wants to join me for a day and encourage (read "carry") me up some hills.

In terms of recovery, the legs are feeling a bit heavy if I follow a ride with drinking a couple of beers, which is a nice reward, but when I don't drink, and look after the body, the legs are much better and feel good the next day.

What to do..
Simple: stop drinking beer, or drink less of the stuff.

Yesterday was my first ride after a cold: 122 km, with just one hill (Iriyama, from Itsukaichi to Kami-Ongata) and thus less than 1500 m of climbing, even according to RwGPS, which tends to exaggerate. And a splendid lunch in Nishi-Hachiouji. In the evening, I washed down supper with a can of Indo-no-aooni (and a large quantity of "Aquarius", as its taste is slightly less boring than that of Pocari Sweat).

I beat the rain this morning on the MTB.
I didn't "clear" a section that I usually struggle with clean, but with just a foot dab I was able to get a run up the rooty climb to the top. I was glad I got there without dismounting, but my heart was beating through my chest... so I sat for a bit to recover.

A bit later, I sat at an intersection deciding if i wanted to just head back home or continue on. I wasn't feeling particularly strong, nor beat up, so it was a flip of a coin. I convinced myself to ride where I took this pic. Then I convinced myself to go a little farther, then a little farther. On my way back, I met up an old riding buddy and met another local rider I had not had the preasure of meeting before. We chatted until it started to sprinkle. I hopped back on the bike and headed down the mountain. I got home and it was still just sprinkling, so I was wet, but not soaked. My tires were barely dirty from the trail, so no damage was done to the trail with the small amount of water.

After getting back home and spending time with the kids and wife... I decided the longer route was a good decision.PXL_20240119_231007964.PANO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom