What's new

Today January 2024

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Happy New Year!

Another year of cycling awaits. In 2023 I cycled 3,500 km, about 1/3 the distance of my busiest year of 2015 but I maintained my Century a Month streak which I want to extend at least until I hit 12 years in August. I took lots of pictures and enjoyed many views.

I might go back to Miura or Boso for my January century which I want to do ASAP.

How was your last year, what are your plans? This is your thread for January!

Happy New Year everyone. I put on a lot of kilometers last year. For the new year of 2024, well, this is my new adventure for the new year. I hope to leave in May before the rainy season. I'm currently in the planning stage at the moment, but I'm currently working here in Japan, so my first tour won't be like my camping/touring of Japan that I usually spend much time bumming around.

Thailand cycling t shirt.jpg

Happy new year to everyone here....
2023 wasn't as productive on the bicycle as I would have liked but I've got plans this year to just go forward - just get out and run, cycle, swim, ski, walk... whatever.

Mental health and exercise go hand in hand and I've never been happier than those few hours after exercise... or sex... ;) I'm chasing that high for this year and enjoying it.

2023 was the worst year of cycling I have had - that even includes all my injury years.
Adding a kid, new job, getting sick, etc... it has taken a toll on me.
This year I am just hoping to find a better balance.
I hear you loud and clear on that one yeah good luck and have a really great New Year.

Happy new year to everyone here....
2023 wasn't as productive on the bicycle as I would have liked but I've got plans this year to just go forward - just get out and run, cycle, swim, ski, walk... whatever.

Mental health and exercise go hand in hand and I've never been happier than those few hours after exercise... or sex... ;) I'm chasing that high for this year and enjoying it.
It's very true what you said about the balance in life and cycling we're all cyclists here so most of us are still pretty well physically active but yeah balance of mental health and physical health it's one of the joys of life

My 2023 rookie stats
distance ~4,000km
3 BB Base cycle train trips
21 days rental cycling in Sapporo, Asahikawa and Niseko areas
-12kg
2 crashes
2 new bikes and a way too much "necessary" gear.

In Spring 2024 I want to take the ferry to Tokushima and bikepack around Shikoku and go back to Hokkaido in Summer.

Well, that was quite the shake! So far everything seems to be okay--water, power, city gas.

Tentatively a 5+ here (edit: 'here' = kanazawa), 7 in areas up in Noto. We're inland, so no tsunami for us.

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone! Congrats on the stats even if they were not on par with previous years. My total mileage (or kilometerage?) was at an all time high pre-Covid while training for the TransAm Bike Race and dropped to almost half of that for 2023. It is all good though. Just keep chugging along.

1000018359.jpg

In the afternoon I went out for a ride to Machida and back. I got my first Mt Fuji view of the year on the way to the Tamagawa. The post-sunset silhouette of the mountains in the west, with Mt Fuji behind it was very clear. Knowing I would only do about 50 km I did the climbs faster than I would on long rides but I really felt my legs afterwards.

1000018368.jpg

My 2023 rookie stats
distance ~4,000km
3 BB Base cycle train trips
21 days rental cycling in Sapporo, Asahikawa and Niseko areas
-12kg
2 crashes
2 new bikes and a way too much "necessary" gear.

In Spring 2024 I want to take the ferry to Tokushima and bikepack around Shikoku and go back to Hokkaido in Summer.
Also a self declared rookie.
I managed ~7,000km and aim to do less this year..
Three bike packing trips survived. (Fuji lakes, Chiba and Izu)

I am also aiming to take a ferry to Tokushima and cycle round Shikoku. The current idea is to tackle the 88 temple pilgrim trail.. in 10-12 days.. not sure which month I'd attempt it.

Well, that was quite the shake! So far everything seems to be okay--water, power, city gas.

Tentatively a 5+ here (edit: 'here' = kanazawa), 7 in areas up in Noto. We're inland, so no tsunami for us.
I am glad you are safe!

@andywood, is everything OK there?

I am glad you are safe!

@andywood, is everything OK there?

Thanks Joe! The magnitude knocked me off the bike as I unclipped after an 80km ride up the coast and back!

The biggest earthquake I've ever experienced. We are only 1km inland and on the banks of the Ukawa River.

A bit of panic as the boys were playing football on a soccer field by the beach and we had to go and find them. They had a close call apparently as all the snow came falling off the adjacent gym's roof.

Once we found them, it was just about escaping to higher ground, which is easy if you are a cyclist and know your roads. You can be 100m above sea level in 5km from the beach. We sheltered there for a few hours before heading to a school which is central but still 40m up.

Life during wartime. The boys are enjoying camping out at the school. Dad sourced some beer!

We live another day!

Andy

2023 was a tumultuous year: it started dark as I came to the realization that my career in academia was coming to an end. I should have looked for new jobs earlier, but it took me a while to kick myself in the butt. I had one last shot at a permanent job, and in April I found out I was number 2 on the list. No silver medals where I work. I had several interviews, some good, some bad, some of the good ones didn't pan out, some of the bad ones interestingly did. Then I had one great interview with an Austrian company in the semiconductor industry. Hit it out of the park, twice. For the second interview, they flew me out to Korea. Got to know my future boss and we immediately meshed. I accepted the job offer. There was a bit of small drama as getting the actual work contract took much longer than expected and I almost had to accept another job offer.

We moved in the beginning of July. Moving continents was very stressful, as you know, especially with two small kids. We arrived at our new home, a brand new company apartment, and literally the day I arrived I got the offer from the university I applied for. A few days later, my wife found out she was pregnant with our third (and last).

The industry job is great. The company has a great work-life balance even though it does cutting edge stuff. It is world market leader in several important niches, and those niches will gain in importance. They HQ is in the middle of nowhere even though their branch offices are in city centers (think Seoul, Yokohama, etc.). The job is a great fit for me (I have experience living in the US, Canada and Japan).

But I had to tell my boss before Christmas that I have accepted an offer at university. I hope I can stay in touch with them. The second move will cause some short-term financial disruptions for us. But it will be worth it in the end, not least because it addresses a giant hole in my life planning — retirement. (As an expat and academic, I have only paid in a retirement funds for a few years and in different countries no less.)

Cycling-wise, it was an alright year. I have had a big training break as my trainer was literally in some container for 2.5 months. And I did not train in the weeks before the move. I spent a little over 316 hours on the bike, 22 hours less than 2022, but 7 hours more than 2021. Given the amount of time off the bike, that's alright. I did one race at my performance nadir and it went alright. It was quite fun even though the team I tried out for wasn't exactly welcoming. The area here is quite nice for cycling, although I wish it had more sustained climbs. But it is quite beautiful.

Life during wartime.
That's how 2011 felt to me, though it was still far removed from the reality of people who lost their homes in quakes or tsunamis or actual war. Leaving behind a home with only as much as I could carry still gave me an appreciation what people experienced in 1939-45 or now in Ukraine.

Staying with my youngest brother in Germany while Japan was figuring out how to deal with the aftermath of three meltdowns, I also started riding one of his bikes and rediscovered my love of cycling. That's why I am on this forum now :)

I hope life goes back to normal for you soon. The rebuilding in Ishikawa will take longer.

That's how 2011 felt to me, though it was still far removed from the reality of people who lost their homes in quakes or tsunamis or actual war. Leaving behind a home with only as much as I could carry still gave me an appreciation what people experienced in 1939-45 or now in Ukraine.

Staying with my youngest brother in Germany while Japan was figuring out how to deal with the aftermath of three meltdowns, I also started riding one of his bikes and rediscovered my love of cycling. That's why I am on this forum now :)

I hope life goes back to normal for you soon. The rebuilding in Ishikawa will take longer.
Sorry "Life during wartime" was just a flippant Talking Heads quote.

Here was just a scare. No real damage.

When we had the big one here, old buildings collapsed and there was no gas, electricity or water. Luckily it was summer.

After the disaster in Fukushima, fear of a Tsunami seems to be much greater. But still many people stayed put.

The bike shop here has strong connections with Ishikawa after taking part in the Tour de Noto since it's conception. They regularly visit the same hotels, restaurants etc. They are talking with them now to see how they can help.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom