What's new

Today January 2023

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
明けましておめでとう - Happy New Year!

I cycled 28% less distance in 2022 than in 2021, when I also cycled less than in 2020. But I also didn't have a km goal for the year, only "Century a Month".

In January I want to ride on the coastline, in Izu, Miura or Boso to see Mt Fuji and the ocean and gradually get ready for the Nishi Izu 200 km brevet on March 25 and the Trace ride from Nagano to Tokyo in early April.

How was your 2022? What are your plans for January and the New Year?

Happy New Year!

2022 was my biggest cycling year so far - I've managed to go slightly further every year so far (starting year 8 now). Did my first 200km ride on Friday, so will hopefully do something a bit longer this year. Now the kids are getting a bit older, it's easier to find time to get for longer rides without coming back to the doghouse. Off out in a few minutes to go up one of my local climbs to see the sunrise (edited to add sunrise photos)

Attachments

• IMG_20230101_073659-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230101_073659-01.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230101_073502-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230101_073502-01.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back on Dirt where I belong!!!
The bike felt great, the trail was in amazing condition.
I successfully analyzed a risk vs reward... and opted the wimp out line on a section of trail I used to have a 85% success rate on, but this past year was closer to a 50%. (for those that know me - this is HUGE. I am always looking for the challenge usually without regard for risk)

Looking forward to more dirt and fun this year!

323286455_1220312592229186_4155506501758722904_n.jpg
322710192_1596598214112225_6605802969178243719_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning, y'all! Happy New Year! Frohes Neues Jahr!

This was the first time since being a small child that I slept in. My wife wasn't feeling well, she had cramps and all, and she didn't want to carry our smallest to the temple. And since I got used to getting up at 4:30, I got really tired at 22:00.

But I got one last ride in yesterday, which was very good and therapeutic. I got to think about 2022 and my plans for 2023. 2022 wasn't great, and 2023 will be quite difficult: I'll have to look for a new job and probably move back to Europe. Bummer. (I work in academia and don't want to work for a Japanese company, I love my family too much.)

On the plus side, my second book got published and I am quite proud of the achievement. It took much longer than I had anticipated, but the end result was worth it. I love my kids more and more each year I share the planet with them.

A lot is going to change this year, and that means things can change for the better.

Riding-wise, it was good, albeit still a bit lonely due to my team taking Covid very seriously (e. g. no bonenkai, etc.). I upped my training game, I think. I even got an unsolicited request whether I'd be their coach. 😳 I got my FTP to regions where I never thought I'd get to.

In 2023, I'd like to get a handle back on my weight and get more serious about strength training.

Moving to more indoor cycling. (Really liking my Kickr Core) Changing goals from miles to hours. Hope to do more biking in the mountains around Enzan, Fuji and Izu. Do some bikepacking and overnighters. Maybe try the Fuji Hill Climb in June. More upper body and strength training.

Happy New Year to all you TCC cyclist. I spent New Year's Eve having dinner at one of our church member's house. It's the first time that I saw what a "humble" Japanese New Year Eve dinner looked and tasted like. No pictures, but we did have an end of the gathering picture taken.
Yamaguchi city ( actually Yuda onsen was deserted) . Everything was closed down. Nobody out partying and getting drunk on the streets, but Friday night was different.
Spent New Year's morning with church service. Today, I'm invited to a University Professor's place for a Bangladesh dinner. He is here doing research and teaching at the University. Not sure who will attend but it sounds exciting. Maybe have this... Rice with Curry, Vorta, Vaji, and Daal – Everyday Bangladeshi food. Plain rice is the main food in Bangladesh. It is served with different fish and meat curry, Bhorta (mash) of different vegetables and fish, bhaji (fried) of different vegetables, and Patla Daal (lentil soup). Been told to watch out for the bones.

Today I put on 10 kilometers on the bike after doing a New Year's AV'cyclist upkeep/maintenance on it. Chain fell off. Can you believe that. LOL
I did take a few pictures which is on my phone of Yuda onsen family park of my first bike ride of the new year. I'll post if I can and put them on my blog also, to start the new year off.

Safe cycling everyone.

IMG_20230101_112908.jpgIMG_20230101_112946.jpgIMG_20230101_112956.jpg
IMG_20230101_113017.jpgIMG_20230101_113056.jpg

Somehow I got in 21,000km last year despite some busy time off the bike. I wrote about the year in sport here:

「a year in sport」

2022 comes to an end. More than 20 years riding a bike.

Last year was maybe the busiest year. A bike event at the start of July. A bike event the end of October.

I met so many amazing people. Kashiwazaki officials. Kids who I taught English 20 years ago are now the most active in Kashiwazaki! Irreplaceable! And Ishi and Aki who were my rocks.

The lead up to both events was busy. It was the first time I didn't have time to ride my bike! It made me appreciate how lucky I am to ride and made me appreciate the rides even more.

I went to Gunma on a scouting mission in May. It was a success. Pro mountain athlete Yuki Ikeda joined July's event! He also inspired the children of Kashiwazaki with a lecture at school. His participation made the event a great success. A sports grant from Niigata prefecture was also critical.

In summer I had some downtime. I coached Gen at dawn. Isonobe repeats. In the fall we entered 3 hillclimbs together. I had renewed passion for training.

October's event required so much preparation. Without Nozomi san it would have been impossible. Police and road closures. It was difficult. This time we seeked an entertainment grant from Niigata Prefecture. Shinbo san made a live event like Woodstock! We got the grant! The bike event was only a small part. But 100 cyclists could enjoy the beauty of Takayanagi. Thank you to Jyonnobi Mura for providing the perfect location!

Since then I have been enjoying gravel rides. And now it's winter, the gym, rollers, snowshoes and cyclocross.

It was a Rollercoaster year. Shingai san said to me "You are like a rollercoaster, slow as we anticipate the crazy fast! All you can do is close your eyes!"

Maybe there is a compliment in there?!?

Roll on 2023!

Andy

Whelp, mtb here I come...
Spent the evening doing work getting them all ready.
New fork on the Enduro, tweaks on the hardtail and more adjustment of the short travel full suspension. Road bikes are parked for the moment.

PXL_20230101_083207300.jpg

At 71, main goal is to keep riding and stay alive one more year... ;)

It'd be nice to add two zeroes to that, so 7100/7200km (~1500 more than this year).
Yep! Got to stay in shape. One year behind you there. Aches and pains and a bit of morning stiffness is in the shadows, that is for sure.

hw06ufkmrd9a1.png

Hope everyone can make their 2023 cycling goals!
Looking forward to being able to cycle more in 2023, with 2022 having been a bit of a write-off for a large chunk of the year.
Did your work keep you off from riding last year?

At 71, main goal is to keep riding and stay alive one more year... ;)

It'd be nice to add two zeroes to that, so 7100/7200km (~1500 more than this year).
Given how things usually works with age, shouldn't you use a formula like for max heart rate, i.e. big_number - age*some_factor? 😅

I'm only in my sixties but would be nice to keep riding until I'm at least 80, assuming I don't start having accidents (because broken bones get more and more difficult to deal with). At some point I'll probably start riding something with electric assist.

Got out for a ride yesterday and disaster happened. Cycling back along the Sakaigawa and turned off to go home. Must have hit a pothole or something as things went in slow motion - the bike went from 30 kph to 0 kph, and in that split moment, I knew I was going over the handlebars. After getting up, and having some kind driver ask me in English, as I was sprawled out on the road "Are you ok?" I check the bike and noticed that one of the spokes and split in half - almost as if the pressure had gotten to it and caused it to buckle. The issue was that I was 6 km from home, and it had begun to spit rain. A slow ride home, with squeeks galore as the rim was out of alignment and AU insurance weren't answering their phones and none of the local bike shops were open - it's NY holidays still - and I am in need of a new spoke or perhaps new wheels.

Slightly battered and bruised on my right leg and arm - nothing that a few beers couldn't help alleviate - but after last year's fallback from a frozen shoulder, I am not going to let this hold me back from my goals.
IMG_4070.JPG

Got out for a ride yesterday and disaster happened. Cycling back along the Sakaigawa and turned off to go home. Must have hit a pothole or something as things went in slow motion - the bike went from 30 kph to 0 kph, and in that split moment, I knew I was going over the handlebars. After getting up, and having some kind driver ask me in English, as I was sprawled out on the road "Are you ok?" I check the bike and noticed that one of the spokes and split in half - almost as if the pressure had gotten to it and caused it to buckle. The issue was that I was 6 km from home, and it had begun to spit rain. A slow ride home, with squeeks galore as the rim was out of alignment and AU insurance weren't answering their phones and none of the local bike shops were open - it's NY holidays still - and I am in need of a new spoke or perhaps new wheels.

Slightly battered and bruised on my right leg and arm - nothing that a few beers couldn't help alleviate - but after last year's fallback from a frozen shoulder, I am not going to let this hold me back from my goals.
View attachment 37164
Boo! Hope you get through the day without tightening up.
Take a day to rest and all the shops should be open to do a quick repair.

I figured out something quite curious in 2022: I actually cycled more (in terms of time on the bike) than ever before. I guess that'd explain my increase in fitness

View attachment 37164
What a way to start the year. I'm glad nothing serious happened to you (and the bike!). I reckon the spoke can be replaced easily.

Given how things usually works with age, shouldn't you use a formula like for max heart rate, i.e. big_number - age*some_factor? 😅
I really like just being able to ride, being outside and up and down the river, watching the skies, the seasons, the birds, saying hi to a few other regulars along there--that kind of thing. I push a little sometimes, since that can be fun, but also don't mind being relaxed about it. (You might say that I sometimes wait at the top, for myself.) I could do more, but the dual goal is to stay active and keep it enjoyable--it shouldn't be a chore, and I want to leave enough energy to do other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom