What's new

Today January 2021

Handsome pooch! He didnt stray too much from the path to chase down small animals?

Noticed the remote collar, nice to have when hiking with a dog
Clyde is a good dog. He is usually pretty chill, but yes... he can sometimes lose focus when little critters or other dogs are around.
The collar has not shocked him in 2 years! Even then it was an 'accident' when his mom put the remote in her purse and it got pressed on accident.
The good side of it, he knows the shock came from the collar. So..... There is a vibrate mode. You can click the vibrate button and he quickly knows if he doesn't chill, then shock is next. He rarely needs more than a quick 'zzzz' of the vibrate and he just chills right out.

I don't think he ever got more than 30m from me and every time I called him he came running back. Definitely a good hiking buddy.

1610273920692.png

Even though I am still sick, ugh, today was a good day: I got to order my new bike! 🕺🥳

And in my dream spec no less: 3T Strada in red, SRAM Force eTap 1x with a WIDE rear derailleur and a 10-36 cassette, 42T front chain ring, 165 mm cranks, Quark D-zero power meter and 3T C45 Discus carbon wheels. I'm also getting yellow bottle cages, another 10-36 cassette and a XDR driver for my indoor trainer. I'm also asking the shop to swap the brakes (right = rear) and set up the tires as tubeless.

OMG, I can't wait to be healthy again and ride this bike.

bloody hell, I'll pretend I never saw the price tag on that one @OreoCookie (not to mention the seat stay either) ;)
Oh yeah. I saved up the money in advance and I still feel a bit bad about spending so much money. But I keep my bikes a long time and there is nothing I would really want to upgrade on that thing!

I like the seat stay, the look has grown on me, but honestly I really fell for that bike when I rode it. It was spectacular. It was way more comfortable than my current road bike with tires of the same width. If anything my bike has better tires. I was faster. Carving corners was way more fun. And the handling, it was very predictable and good-natured without killing any fun, I always knew what the bike was doing, what the road surface was like and yet it didn't track grooves* or anything. I knew I had to have one.

* Here many of the mountain roads have long parallel grooves cut into the asphalt meant to aid ice melting in the winter, but which are treacherous for people on two wheels, especially road bikes but also motor bikes. Since the bike was a loaner, I was veeery careful.

Last edited:
Even though I am still sick, ugh, today was a good day: I got to order my new bike! 🕺🥳

And in my dream spec no less: 3T Strada in red, SRAM Force eTap 1x with a WIDE rear derailleur and a 10-36 cassette, 42T front chain ring, 165 mm cranks, Quark D-zero power meter and 3T C45 Discus carbon wheels. I'm also getting yellow bottle cages, another 10-36 cassette and a XDR driver for my indoor trainer. I'm also asking the shop to swap the brakes (right = rear) and set up the tires as tubeless.

OMG, I can't wait to be healthy again and ride this bike.
Congratulations!!!
I wish you my happy hours of fun riding.

finally took time to put some aluminium tape and install the front light shade/cap thingy. looking forward to testing it on a commute this week

1610352841770.png

1610352864174.png

1610352885688.png

The Dr emailed me today...
ACL is in tact!
While relieved, it is leaving a lot of questions open. The Dr is not a radiologist and doesn't pretend to be. He is planning to sit down with a radiologist to go into further depth to see if they can find anything to explain 3 weeks of swelling (and counting).

Knowing the ACL isn't going to get worse has me a bit amped to get back on the bike. I am going to shoot for the Roadie tomorrow and see!

*Yes, I know my knee isn't healthy - but my fear of making it worse has been lightened a bit. Also knowing I have a Dr's Appt in weeks or so - I can shoot to attempt my normal routines and bring any questions into the office with me.

Visited @alex.s.james to view (and, as the price was right, buy) the smart rollers he was advertising in Classifieds.

Just got home with them. Immediate problem, requiring a paradigm shift of some sort. Rollers lift bike up enough that tires jam up against desk on one side and piano on the other. Dumb ol' turbo trainer fit fine in this orientation because everything was low to the ground. Hmmm. If I turn everything longways in the room, I can't watch the computer screen. Sigh... guess I'll just have to buy a TV to go on the wall.

rollers.jpg

The Dr emailed me today...
ACL is in tact!
While relieved, it is leaving a lot of questions open. The Dr is not a radiologist and doesn't pretend to be. He is planning to sit down with a radiologist to go into further depth to see if they can find anything to explain 3 weeks of swelling (and counting).

Knowing the ACL isn't going to get worse has me a bit amped to get back on the bike. I am going to shoot for the Roadie tomorrow and see!

*Yes, I know my knee isn't healthy - but my fear of making it worse has been lightened a bit. Also knowing I have a Dr's Appt in weeks or so - I can shoot to attempt my normal routines and bring any questions into the office with me.
Partly torn? Or just sprained badly?
how about your MCL?

did the doctors pull/yank on your knee while you are on your back, with your leg bent?
or kind of twist it out while you're on your side?

while surgery sucks and the rehab can take up to a year, it is possible to have/get a stronger, new ACL..
I think I would still ride, exercise, hike with a brace or something to hold your knee in compression. Worst thing is to have your knee slip out and then you do tear your ACL...

why not lift the desk and piano up by a few cms? or angle across the room?
Yeah, both of those are options. I'll do a few more refresher sessions on the landing, so I have something to lean on when I wobble too much, and think about it.

10 min into a 20-min workout and I was dripping.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Partly torn? Or just sprained badly?
how about your MCL?

did the doctors pull/yank on your knee while you are on your back, with your leg bent?
or kind of twist it out while you're on your side?

while surgery sucks and the rehab can take up to a year, it is possible to have/get a stronger, new ACL..
I think I would still ride, exercise, hike with a brace or something to hold your knee in compression. Worst thing is to have your knee slip out and then you do tear your ACL...
I don't have any official word on exactly the problem, however since the ER doctor felt it was a ruptured ACL, the Orthopedic doctor was able to verify at a glance of the MRI that the ACL is in tact. - He just sent me the email as a courtesy heads up to remove my anxiety over it.

why not lift the desk and piano up by a few cms? or angle across the room?
Or a standing desk, which might allow enough room for the piano to remain at usable/natural height. My wife's been looking at crankable or electric motorized desks, that allow you to alternate between standing/sitting, and levels in between.

And @Half-Fast Mike --interesting seat angle in that pic.

Just double-checking here: did the doctors actually tell you that getting on the bike isn't going to make matters worse? Or is that the conclusion you draw from your doctor's preliminary diagnosis? I'd be pretty careful if I were you and only do sports if your doctors gave the green light.

Just double-checking here: did the doctors actually tell you that getting on the bike isn't going to make matters worse? Or is that the conclusion you draw from your doctor's preliminary diagnosis? I'd be pretty careful if I were you and only do sports if your doctors gave the green light.
They have told me from day 1 the bike will not hurt it worse (this was one of my first questions). However in the early few days after the accident - any 'pulling' on the pedals resulted in extreme discomfort and just led me to stay off the bike. So my 'stay off the bike' was rooted in pain, not the advice of the Drs.

The only thing the Dr told me to rule out - running and any sport that requires planting a foot and pivoting.

They have told me from day 1 the bike will not hurt it worse (this was one of my first questions). However in the early few days after the accident - any 'pulling' on the pedals resulted in extreme discomfort and just led me to stay off the bike. So my 'stay off the bike' was rooted in pain, not the advice of the Drs.

The only thing the Dr told me to rule out - running and any sport that requires planting a foot and pivoting.
Ah, ok. Good to hear. :)

Had another roll on the rollers. I like it. Checked my Zwift account - last used in 2016 - and found I had 25 free km to play with.

With the windows open the temperature was perfect, except for my feet - sandals aren't going to work.

And I need a big TV on this wall :p

setup2021012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom