What's new

Today January 2021

This morning I woke up to one of my bikes being sold. Yay!
So I promptly ordered its replacement! Of course the replacement was more expensive - but wifey was on board!

This is the color scheme, however I will have the upgraded rear shock on mine, not the one shown. (X2 vs DPX2)
1611180979118.png

Last edited:
As for Gatorskins, I'm a diehard fan for training. The longest wearing and puncture resistant tyre in my experience. You can literally go for years without a puncture.
I'd been on conti 4000 for some time, then more or less switched to gators (some 4-seasons, too). Never tried the 5000s. The gatorskins have worn long enough that I guess I kind of got behind the recent market. If the bonty R3s have enough juju to induce spring weather, they'll be worth it.

Since y'all do show and tell on the bikes you ordered, here's mine:

yellow & carbon (background removed).jpg
(gray = carbon with clear coat)

3T Strada L frame in my favorite color of them all, RTP
3T carbon cockpit
3T C45 Discus deep section carbon wheels
SRAM Force eTap
SRAM Force eTap Wide rear derailleur
10-36 cassette
tires set up tubeless

Oh, and I got another cassette and an XDR driver for my indoor trainer, too, because, you know, standards.

It looks like I will have to wait three months, perhaps a tad more. That's why the frame is RTP, there wasn't one in the usual color that comes with the Force eTap model (red), so my LBS sourced a ready-to-paint frame for me (at no extra cost) and they will paint it for me (for only ¥25,000). It took my brain about 1 minute (no joke) to come up with a yellow & carbon paint job (carbon means clear coat only). I sent a photoshop mockup to the shop a few minutes later. In case they will receive the new, revised sticker set from 3T I already have another design ready for them.

The only thing I am undecided on is the saddle — for lack of trying it. In the "worst" case I'll continue to use my current saddle.

Basically, this is the dream bike I have been configuring for two years now. So I did the responsible thing: I saved up until I had enough (technically I am missing one month's worth of savings, but that was priced in with the wait) and then pulled the trigger. It felt really good having the maturity and patience of waiting rather than raiding the savings account. Typically, I wouldn't have spent that much money on something, but I'm turning 40 next month and I haven't bought a new bike in 8.5 years. When rocket (ship) (her nick name, decided on over two years ago) is here, I'll put up my current road bike for sale here.

Last edited:
I'd been on conti 4000 for some time, then more or less switched to gators (some 4-seasons, too). Never tried the 5000s. The gatorskins have worn long enough that I guess I kind of got behind the recent market. If the bonty R3s have enough juju to induce spring weather, they'll be worth it.
AFAIK the 5000s are better in every respect than the 4000s, except that they are harder to put on if you want a tubeless setup. They marry very good rolling resistance with good puncture protection, and are probably the goldilocks tires. A Schwalbe Marathon is more puncture resistent, but very slow. There are faster tires, although not enough to matter unless you are racing TTs. Some are more supple (Vittorias come to mind). And others offer similar performance. But you definitely can't go wrong with them.

I don't have experience with the Bontragers, so I can't comment on them.

what's with the RD cable on that bike @bloaker ? it exits the chainstay, and is then to enter the downtube? is it not risky to have it around the chain and chainring like that?

what's with the RD cable on that bike @bloaker ? it exits the chainstay, and is then to enter the downtube? is it not risky to have it around the chain and chainring like that?
It's well below any chainrings and the housing is short and stiff enough not to go anywhere it shouldn't. It works well.

When are you assembling this Bloaker?

Since y'all do show and tell on the bikes you ordered, here's mine:

View attachment 29370
(gray = carbon with clear coat)

3T Strada L frame in my favorite color of them all, RTP
3T carbon cockpit
3T C45 Discus deep section carbon wheels
SRAM Force eTap
SRAM Force eTap Wide rear derailleur
10-36 cassette
tires set up tubeless

Oh, and I got another cassette and an XDR driver for my indoor trainer, too, because, you know, standards.

It looks like I will have to wait three months, perhaps a tad more. That's why the frame is RTP, there wasn't one in the usual color that comes with the Force eTap model (red), so my LBS sourced a ready-to-paint frame for me (at no extra cost) and they will paint it for me (for only ¥25,000). It took my brain about 1 minute (no joke) to come up with a yellow & carbon paint job (carbon means clear coat only). I sent a photoshop mockup to the shop a few minutes later. In case they will receive the new, revised sticker set from 3T I already have another design ready for them.

The only thing I am undecided on is the saddle — for lack of trying it. In the "worst" case I'll continue to use my current saddle.

Basically, this is the dream bike I have been configuring for two years now. So I did the responsible thing: I saved up until I had enough (technically I am missing one month's worth of savings, but that was priced in with the wait) and then pulled the trigger. It felt really good having the maturity and patience of waiting rather than raiding the savings account. Typically, I wouldn't have spent that much money on something, but I'm turning 40 next month and I haven't bought a new bike in 8.5 years. When rocket (ship) (her nick name, decided on over two years ago) is here, I'll put up my current road bike for sale here.
Nice looking bike. Plenty aero!

Made me think of the Litespeed Blade. But when I googled it, it looks nothing like it.

Then my mind started wandering.

That was 2002. Armstrong rode a titanium Blade labelled up as a TREK at the TDF TT.

That was as aero as you could get.

Carbon was in its infancy.

Only forks.

Then came carbon back triangles.

The dentist on our team was the first to have a full carbon bike. A Scott. Big chunky tubes. But light as a feather.

Carbon was expensive back then.

I took the shortcut. Two cheap carbon frames by Pedalforce. Great for hillclimbs. But I cracked them both.

After that I invested long term in titanium. That Lynskey road bike will never die.

The TT bike is carbon obviously, a TREK Speed Concept. Still top of the charts for TT aero performance.

And the CX bike is Colnago aluminium.

Next up maybe a steel Ritchey Swiss Cross. Basically a TOYO frame.

But with racing off the cards for a while yet, it's a case of wait and see.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing it built up!

Andy

I was going to attempt a trail ride this morning, then I rolled out of bed and my knee said 'nope'
Just stiff and such a limited ROM when cold. I can warm it up and do fine. I had to run a couple errands yesterday that resulted in 22km of outside riding and no real issues other than cold. First errand was run by 0500 as I had to drop my wife's car off in Yokosuka and be back in time to get the kids up for school.

But today I am sitting here on my second cup of coffee and my mind is wandering.
I am actually thinking about selling a couple bikes. Not because I need the money. Not because my wife is askind me to sell them. Not because of any reason I can put my finger on.

Bike I have in a few categories.
Bikes that are Safe -
Ritchey Logic - this bike isn't going anywhere. It was pretty close to my dream bike 8 years ago and it still is.
Trek Emonda - this bike is safe too. I have enjoyed the difference between it and the Emonda. It is a fun bike I intend to ride a lot this year.
Salsa Fargo - This is a forever bike like the Ritchey. Dream bike, nope, but a super fun rig that covers gravel to touring.
Ibib Ripmo - Brand new and hasnt arrived yet.
Nordest Bardino Ti - Brand new and hasn't arrived yet.
Vassago Optimus Ti - It is my XC bike I keep in the US.

Bikes I am toying with selling -

Vasago Fisticuff - Super fun/playful gravel bike and one of my best wheelie bikes. Fargo can do everything it does... just slower. I just don't have enough gravel locally to use it too often. But everytime I ride it, I remember why I bought it.

Vassago Jabberwocky - Single Speed MTB - Super fun and under-utilized. It does everything I want a SS to do and does it well. Having the SSWC cancelled last year and most likely not being able to go this year.... it has just broken my SS spirit a bit.

Bikes I am not sure long term where they fit into the plan... both are 29+ bikes.

Surly Krampus - This is my grocery/trail work/workhorse bike. The bike is awesome and could easily convert to SS if I sell the Jabberwoky and find I miss it. It only need spacers and a cog (and I have spares) to do the conversion. This is also part of what makes the Jabberwocky expendible.

Stanton Sherpa Plus - this bike will most likely stay. It is a prototype I lucked into. The Nordest will overlap with this bike as well. The sherpa runs bigger tires, so it is possible a better bad weather bike - but i try to keep from riding trails in bad weather. But it is so unique, I am not sure i can part with it.

Since I am not comfy enough with my knee to even attempt a trail... I did some work on my bikes.
And now the Stanton falls back into the 'untouchable' category. :D

Funny how fast you can fall back in love with these things.

1.jpg2.jpg

today is exactly 4 weeks since I started my weight loss. to be more precise, bodyfat loss, or at least that's the ideal.

however, the graph shows a bit of a divorce recently, between the bodyweight (pink) slightly but steadily decreasing (after a plateau of about a week of stagnation - or a valley might be a better expression, since we're going down?) in my subjective mind, as well as from what I'm willing to bother objectively tracking, there is little sign of muscle loss, and a lot of signs of fat loss, so regardless of what the scale says about my body composition, I know I'm on the right track.

will continue for another 3 weeks, in hope of shedding another 1.5 to 2 kg by then, and reevaluate and think about if it's time to switch to maintenance or maybe go on for a bit longer with the cut...

1611361928952.png

Back
Top Bottom