What's new

Today January 2020!!!

You can see the rolling process here and the end of the sheet becomes that seam

why are there two seams on the opposite sides of the steerer?

I was expecting this perfectly round tube to be as straightforward a job as any involving tubes, and certainly did not expect any vertical lines/cracks. I don't think I've seen this in my cannondale fork either...

1579692490557.png

1579692647046.png

Last edited:
for reference, this is the opposite side. some small imperfections but no fissures/cracks there. if it was like this I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought

1579692788026.png

they may have used a mould rather than that rolling layup I linked the video of. A mould would explain the lines on opposing sides of the tube. Or and I suspect this is it, they have used shorter sheets that cover just half the diameter of the tube as it got bigger in diameter. but a good question for the boys in Tennessee.

I noticed my rear shifting was a little off yesterday. "Must be time for a cable change."

Sounds like you got your money's worth out of that one! :D

For me a rear shifter cable lasts a bit less than a year (~ 7000 km) with Ultegra-level shifters (ST-RS685), but I usually get plenty of warning. It starts with delayed shifts hundreds of km before the last strand snaps. Only when I postpone the cable change then does it convert the bike from a 22-speed into a 2-speed. It didn't get that far for a number of years now, since I always changed the cable before the very last strand snapped.

It's kind of the opposite of Di2, where front shifts will stop first when the battery runs low, before you lose rear shifting too.

I think both you guys are seeing the seam from wrapping the carbon prior to manufacturing a carbon tube as a fault in the carbon, it's not. Typically it's filled and sanded down prior to painting in exposed areas but in a steerer it doesn't need the cosmetic treatment. Pretty sure you're overreacting. But it's not my bike and if you have that seed of doubt in your head maybe send the pics to the bike company and get reassured. 99.9% sure it's not a fault. I'd ride it and I'd let my kids ride it.

You can see the rolling process here and the end of the sheet becomes that seam

Thanks @kiwisimon, as per my post, I tried to convince myself that it was a normal manufacturing job of the seam until my risk averse brain made me pull the trigger on a new replacement fork. I will ride the original fork and observe it a little more. (Yes as per Luca stated, the lines are on opposite sides with the 'dents' in identical places, almost a T-joint. Looks like they used a mould and just wrapped it that way with shorter carbon sheets as kiwisimon alluded to)

in any case, my emails to the bike manufacturer (famous Canadian company, I'm sure you guys know which this is...) went unanswered and I had to post here in TCC to get some help.

Thanks again.

@bach sorry to hear about your manufacturer. Lynskey has been very responsive so far. Faults, if these can be called such, can happen. It's how they treat the customer when it happens what matters in my opinion.

If I were you, things have gotten where they are now, I'd try to do an ultrasound test on your current fork. If that checks out (it should be able to find any voids and weaknesses) you can keep that fork as a fully tested spare. Then with any impact, crash etc if/when the new fork needs to be inspected, you can use the other one in the meantime to lessen time off the bike. Silver lining

w5sdKGJI8YKLm-rAGu8NwDksAjd7QTOwjj3rgBFy9QZarSO8mx8Ry16Cb5jHOHSaov24WUhjuIDYUOUUx_lOlMhYgYLuaNTSt7pz1d52B7eF_c3SDh9l4gd0Yu_RFhSmxUdyIbQBvwO-_So76TwCZxAUzrtdEHhpVA7y_ku9a2HZdE-fkl46BzxNL8LWFbaaPZLFv5n-zfDS6IHVJqi_TTS4M0b-4UCg7vbV05hWMUtfTvujVPGNVOxElqEk9ZzeJUQg3kjTf0mGY-xtWy6C-i1Syh-iCXPEqw2K9BQEZ4CAEsak1OFPrnx_ArJN6HyJZwU4LEf4R6cQJl9H4HEtPdubPDEdvGvQdn5S2SQ5Um943KqKfgZJy0-R9vatDTO0ftmb-btm8swwdPdLLm9FDgU2pVVi_6ePAsZdsI-Rv0dVuA9J6pIJJt2UzrujWR61e2zbil9F2L3mnAgaEz_aMwfquim-VNNp4fHRxW5wD4_xReymD-K6yAlSF2t3OFyuB338d-pJaX0fDeT1VYJyAdVJKDA-dsibJ9ymy2vuVe0Et-7t2LgTSVQONBkDuFUaYfjPpkLxvmYlV1VbEWPs4ISp5hdbMFRQDXTJ_Qn4I1p5xj5eqTKw3vZlUJYGgoFxy-hBTT0jS7tj90WuCikVo87Ux1P8-1-o1s4gdCGGtATvluoFqY4dzd1VylO1hr_pNjkm7wTNxB-NfWLPq6tsGIltZvW1VIevGCfzSHRzR5j-wQOE=s800-no

Having skipped cycling last weekend, I wanted to do some riding again and tentatively planned to go to Miura, but there were also all these stubborn VeloViewer tiles around Yokohama and other parts of Kanagawa that I never seem to find an excuse to visit.

I like mountains. I like ocean views. Any location that doesn't provide such views and neither gets visited during a necessary errand, doesn't lie along a brevet or group ride route or serves to gets me to or back home from such rides tends to remain unvisited. I had been to Totsuka and around the Hodogaya bypass before, but only by car, once a year, to visit my then accountant for tax filings.

I got up at 05:00, but didn't leave by 06:00 as planned. I kept postponing my departure again and again, getting changed again and again because I felt cold. When I left after 8:00 I was wearing four layers: base layer, LS jersey, winter jacket, windbreaker. I also wore long underwear. It wasn't until about 10:30 that I layered down to three layers. The overcast skies make a huge difference how warm or cold you feel.

I had not plotted a tiling route before setting off, looking at Google Maps with a KML overlay on my phone instead to check what roads to take and whether I had entered a tile yet. So I zig-zagged around lots of hilly and densely populated parts of Yokohama, with the occasional conbini break for physiological stops and food.

PRK3AT424rp0zLfXfd8I-JCFd00wKwk3TnJ0gDE0LyAHSn1nFMZaXdM09qck36NVZJru6GkQOKOx_ACOnDWjEVwWt05g4_Wkh6fxnnkfWwAyv4YU9O2rdgMXXOdBohAvIITJCgTMVRvUnXFDRmqvr2h1a-Zsn0vEXyuCEnCBqcmfBpEnQ8dxCZBahPGPTfOYTOQxvboMF7COse3K_shV8d96PBWxFmN_xpnZqoTVMJ3DwqQrdrVa2VCWibuQ8LALT_25jO1heAepTJvcEuSMofoxMEy4va88oS5fY9rfL-oasRgHtFDahpInal_l5Vqjz2JyJCm1ukx7D281QO9ZclLs-qyRZP3DO3OltFkgH3byr8NupU_8HFKLDuEP0jRd7YNQzi7UbLFyH_vNGFP_l85fg9ZjVZeYFcSXwFBCjpD1TMXOCquOzDKauSxeGHPmCMj8q9cHf2qd07yzjS9zuPqNinvbfjkso2Gba8vtYhTv8o16Px-9wfzoH805OqPkSAUuKTpwwPqPRFgoeiA14pp5MhKkjgJQbNxubICgj5Dag5RWZWJU99INbCW_WAJN8boNiSo_YAjunroGJV6-Fb6OS1JCB0qzEU82jAZwLR9W6Us3KpbzGeWjnzfaM8kAKjXPtzhnL9yg-1v474tEF9PeAxexC_IcnkA5cmtYfyOg_CHvp0c2BmfDGhejLPHrNzz7vtsK5ISmpzHjlGuhU4j_MO5EWymP354u9VDcF9Shz1YH=s800-no

It was the first time I passed two hydrogen service stations in a single ride (both by ENEOS). For the record, hydrogen fuel is made from fossil fuels and therefore contributes to climate change. It's a taxpayer-subsidised greenwashing scheme that only benefits fossil fuel companies.

After clearing the last of the 14 tiles at the top of my list, I was going to head to Kamakura. As I descended from the hill where the four tiles met, I found that my front would not shift back onto the big ring. The ratchet in the brifter did not engage, I was just pushing against a shifter spring, not the FD spring. However, the shifter cable was still tight, not slack as one would expect from a broken cable. Either my ratchet had failed or the cable is not only cut but also jammed in place inside the housing.

So I rode the next 15 km in my small ring. A large part of that was coasting downhill to Kamakura from the mountain side. I still had all the 11 gears at rear, but with a 26/11 as the tallest gear (similar to a 50/21).

yS3b9_1OOb64tKcf5jOUdK5RrTmISgJPwuVPgHvfH3P_QKeFiCWIG9B7a3AnPdtdZCjUYAur6DTKmsmiHY89wn5hKzIoQapMGljlu5ogaNvF4Fnnjl-uFCKkSioTAhfPTPvXQInL5-ppkF-Id5p3u-QCfu0Tu4VMSowcyxwRwFcUOoquJmcuooxiRIkijOmtf0zhy_SsOoUf55wS6SVQy05dsYuwg6bAEfp-98DlvasSsHwt2EFKT2IlP21fJ-hCSVLMj2Huv4zHa3MsWIJn8NgaKASsUUuyX40jpOl8nGW1DiNkPyDq4fMFobbYKKrgoFWAfEfmzbU8RrpJCwI5Dt1W5MnW0ktj6gzitBpjpa3QNlQE979eTq0udoxAXVcuZ5GtnCEVaQdn1Ayy7JAXDeVMMesSo7c3yp18KtMPkXV3H8mJz5QfhftN3XZDrj22hVUJcHUWsSH1sp5ljEjcO-NgqW2yzULQjC6RKmGFnCm2xXYIiiyHKFrRj_mlFHVHi9SCuMjJgDSEP3Zj6nX7U4uu7RXfFmOfshK1mQ-X-xedFlEQlni43fNCZWKy9QtQZoT6YwNPMRcPfMsUtLp7yghgkGPg2rnjPWG6-5_JiqJqH02Kce-IKWLqE73D5IGk49C5OBZ06GQkE6pCGfEqJsVeQmzbeLsDztAoKucpIFQo-23RZzD2d8AbdqLpp3CKe3Uos7OiVcKp_gYmdjXDhF742D3ravQDqxH8G0FxGnbg8r3s=s800-no

A quick google check found this bike shop on the main street of Kamakura (on the left as you head down to the beach) named Grove Kamakura. A mechanic came out and I discussed my problem with him. He put the bike on the work stand and had a look. He also thought it may not be a broken cable, which means the ratchet needed some attention (i.e. replacement). He offered to fix it up so I could at least stay on the big ring for the ride home, by adjusting the low limit screw (the one towards the small ring). That would take away the lowest gears but make it easier to cruise. I asked him to do that. We then found that the ratchet would make ratcheting noises when the derailleur was locked to the right by the limit screw. So we undid the limit screw fix, hoping it had somehow recovered, but no such luck. It still did not shift. So the mechanic again tightened the limit screw and confirmed the higher gears were working. He didn't charge me anything for his friendly assistance. What great service! I thanked him multiple times and set off for the beach.

There were windsurfers out, but it wasn't particularly windy. I cycled past Enoshima towards Chigasaki, where more tiles were waiting to be cleared. One was near a small T-shaped sandy protrusion called Headland Beach. I pushed the bike through the sand.

QyGDb3DYjjSD-X_v4JA4cncHHYu0529elngc-YGXxXHCNdO4MrJXP1sc_d-hM3YkOaVAyOR06MIYsHe25duxRQoiHjgfLbbGPDu0msWekuebkLo26YZ8g5mqGezYrZi3rcO5loAePJ_AgPLrZ9Kyp0AHlJCBsmN8bXW20GaC5Wt1M6KBxtyzokvBwsDZ0k4IPeCxrX5VOJsBg7S-1FkfZyBYOUeYSECFe9iHJ0w4Zw4C1paSW-LGUCVnfePQkJZKNEpzbFjfR3Jzajj4EdZWdmmepAqmUySsQU1KjbG4LxoBaJVjdP3g0cWjJ_K5o_X0ta6QMxYpcz-Rs30oBwuw2i3vMM8f02Kdlvgi3bqIKOdjAAlKEuYb4IAMemoaz2EOVCFH10rTNVj_g3rAMEvFTLbudvD7bek8GRMrhfrhmxNiqcBDIW7gRCBTG9Xekf-OvwsTfT594wHbJ9vgp7v9ovnhPIAnZERso5ALv15ckRKjn9Y3hBqYigmaCM22nsI62CmRcIUJlWExufIUjZKu71fRxi0vXUX4L4qy4vs3_dOJ0V9Ezp1bKqMYGIrrLKlORy8fS8lBuuE_30WM7-jOzkC0q7SlEZOfV0EPuJigk19KzspeTaEpIyAdW7RE3tWGI9eQgUjSvCPMXA4NKw2eZUxeITYQ0j9bXVJ_zYzrGgih80FBH983q6HIqctSyjc8hHu_eYPnzZVEZHEuZuKFG-QYyEf4g8Vu0WMvCj-dv8c4BO57=s800-no

Afterwards I had to empty my shoes of sand.

If I had cycled home directly clearing five tiles near Chigasaki, I would have stayed well below another Century (161 km) but there were two separate tiles west of Machida that I could also take care off. So I headed up there as it go dark. Some hills were a bit steep for the lowest gear on the big chain ring, but I couldn't be bothered to get my screwdriver out to temporarily go back to the small ring. Finally those tiles were done too and I could head home.

I got back after 22:00, did some shopping and picked up a curry take-out from one of the 7 Nepalese or Indian restaurants that are within 5 minutes of my home. So now I need to fix my shifter before the February century (unless I ride it on my other bike, the Bike Friday, which I could).

(The 163 km ride on Strava)

Last edited:
that pharmacy on the first pic! looks at least 100 years old, could be more?! wow

that pharmacy on the first pic! looks at least 100 years old, could be more?! wow
Yes, the whole image looked so Showa era (except for the blue road markings for the bike lane), that's why I snapped it.

January was pretty bad for me, cycling wise. had to take 2 weeks off bike for some knee pain to go away. silver lining is, I was able to get a replacement fork in that time. lynskey was kind enough to offer a replacement just based on my unease about the fork, even tho it was supposedly fine structurally. so I have a new one now (with new crownrace and thru axle installed) in less than 2 weeks since I first noticed any issues with the old one, including one holiday in the US. very good customer service.

we have truly been globalized to such a level that we only need to drop this "my country first" shite and we could have a federation earth more or less established already. less than 48h from middle of nowhere Tennessee to Tokyo. might as well have been shipped from Hiroshima or smt. hope to have it installed on Sat and do a test run on Sunday (and for a much more cycling in Feb and beyond, injury free - I'm not asking for that much eh?)

1580391957773.png

@luka thanks for your detailed updates with the Lynskey. I've been impressed by your abilities in multiple areas, but also by Lynskey's performance and products, which I would probably have never known about had it not been for you posting here. They are a top candidate for my next purchase thanks to you.

@Kangaeroo thanks. I don't deserve such praise. But I would recommend Lynskey for sure. Especially if you find a frame or a build that fits a specific need (like huge tyre clearance on a gravel bike was for me) and maybe get those season end deals etc. They apparently give lifetime warranty on their frames, and I believe @andywood took them up on that successfully once. I heard it even extends to users beyond the initial owner, if you sell it on. So a pretty good deal in my book

Back
Top Bottom