What's new

Today Jan 2019

I want to try the kairo, too, which my wife keeps insisting I use but I avoid through a combination of pride and lack of faith in her judgment skills based on her choice of men.
Proud man still have froze toes.

I buy my kairo in bulk from Rakuten. They seem to be sold out of the wraparound type at the moment. But you could pick up one or two at the drugstore and try them. We won't tell...

As anybody who's ever seen me in lycra can attest, I have absolutely no shame, but in spite of a track record in life that suggests I should always be humble, I stubbornly stay proud. No wonder I have frozen toes!
I will hit MatsuKiyo ASAP, methinks.

nAuGTnRrav0c_otK6Lef40jk62sOVp-FBakr5Ay1v4Le-MSNOuDYnQIVGRV9FOycu03lKwZLzF8eAaGitWlZfsPJ6XTYkTvQ1S9yGDjDmp2wqWdCM3EdqNF-ysMlX_mJf65PgjcCEQcLd8ZbmJiAP7A9MYqwnJnbrICkDDs__vxlxLldod79jo57JoIpaVCMJhpiBP9CMwX3QInGTW2QIrfkKRfCMkaiKjwDoZW7rJPpI8xoYFWXAbElkwupELVwCfPA6LlHC6rVCkFUsJjS2dXWtZSquAUYXMGGXFVDBoyoBkfLi5COBjRT0mLMcW-g9iNONymTqJrUZ4xZZ95tCzUEyiOe-1hxYmcJ0RM54mKsbwYLI-CDVa872U9JmZkvvdk6-P0-gKtMdBaWC41P-RBd_koEnh36DFKg2m9sPrsA7gNKZRotK13Luy_TmwP3UDW-sijSQlZGVODNFsy8tB2NZJd6xwVsSJc3TYJjXUJiE3LlcA9_L2qx1hfI6cTJ7tD4OnG2Xj7UZ-yauRNTLwszKPEYQhX9ZrRNBtrWFhskB-ldAKDTke07U0uqfb_MHT415waI5iySJXwKcvHSUVJX4x4z4-ERUiI7wsxlLSnF4BIGRqqP3AOgH2iqw8A9g4EGS5g6lh-W1Ubc1QdoNgTpXegRHgBw5--Dhsvg85YgdQu1xCEK4Yw5ov5cLnmjuxHd7Q6eM8BB8ibML8A=s800-no

@Kangaeroo - these old socks keep my feet from freezing.

Are you sure it's not a lack of circulation freezing your toes? Make sure you can wiggle (no pun intended) your toes.

Are you sure it's not a lack of circulation freezing your toes? Make sure you can wiggle (no pun intended) your toes.
That's what I thought it might be, but I can wiggle, and things are fine after about an hour indoors.
I bought a shoe heater from a shifty Chinese website this morning, so I'll give that a try, too. (I suspect this is all aimed at not using kairo and thus proving my wife to be correct!)

I bought a shoe heater
I'd be interested to know how you get on with that.

I have a shoe dryer, which I can use to make shoes warm before I put them on. The warmth draws blood to my toes (capillaries dilate), which is nice for a couple of minutes, but then I painfully flash-freeze as soon as the shoes reach ambient temperature. Just my subjective experience - everyone's different.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with that.

I have a shoe dryer, which I can use to make shoes warm before I put them on. The warmth draws blood to my toes (capillaries dilate), which is nice for a couple of minutes, but then I painfully flash-freeze as soon as the shoes reach ambient temperature. Just my subjective experience - everyone's different.
I'll definitely let you know.
I've bought an insole rather than a dryer, so I hope it stays warm for long enough. (I've got to be honest, but I am not really expecting too much).
My problem has been less the start of a ride than the period from about 40-50 minutes into the ride. And it's only really the toes on my right foot that freeze.
There's lots of good ideas out there. I had better start implementing them.
Actually, I have found a solution to cold feet, which I found while riding my toy bike, which only has flat pedals.
These boots were glorious, even while only wearing a single pair of socks.
Uggies.jpeg
Unfortunately, this kind of footwear probably isn't conducive to the type of riding most people here do.

@Forsbrook thanks for the tip about the all blacks. Yeah, once I got to the front of the online queue today they only had premium seats left for games in Kanto. 60,000 yen each for the three of us to watch a game at my local stadium in Kumagaya was a bit steep. The prices for Tokyo and Yokohama were also much worse!
Those ticket prices are insane.
I wonder how many ticket holders are glory hunters or over-privileged or self-entitled oyaji?

Those ticket prices are insane.
I wonder how many ticket holders are glory hunters or over-privileged or self-entitled oyaji?
@stu_kawagoe I've got tickets for a family of five going to the AB's game in Tokyo so if any of them pull out I'll give you first dibs.
How about this for sucky timing ? Missed it by two minutes do to a customer phone call.
The demand globally is through the roof. Third biggest sporting event in the world after Olympics and Football WC.

Attachments

• Dw_isotVYAAEOW2.jpg
    Dw_isotVYAAEOW2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 8
So back to this riding thing. I have lived in Hayama for 6 years now. i have worked in Zushi for about 2 years. I have explored Futagoyama and takatoriyama thoroughly. I have done a good job exploring up to asahina via trail as well.

Today on my no so direct ride home, i saw a trailhead i have never noticed. On a rigid with bags, i couldnt resist.

My curiousity was rewarded with this gem

IMG_20190123_164218_507.jpg

Stairs and roots be damned, i was going to ride the trail. But the abuse got to me too much and i hiked the last 100m

Last edited:
@stu_kawagoe I've got tickets for a family of five going to the AB's game in Tokyo so if any of them pull out I'll give you first dibs.
How about this for sucky timing ? Missed it by two minutes do to a customer phone call.
The demand globally is through the roof. Third biggest sporting event in the world after Olympics and Football WC.
Thanks for that @kiwisimon. Really appreciate it mate!

@Forsbrook yeah, way too pricey for me!

Oh, my wife just told me there was a fire on Mt. Dodaira today. Link here.

keeping toes warm thread, I use these shoes (got them on Wiggle couple of years back) in the winter, with single pair of socks (if really cold go for a bit thicker hiking ones) and it's never been a problem for me. too lazy to layer down there or buy and put on any overshoes things. also used to think I'll be more inclined to combine cycling with short hikes, but that didn't stick really. not sure if they're available in Japan or not

One of my team mates died last year after hitting a kamoshika deer on a descent.

So you need to be really careful.

In my experience they are mostly active around dawn.

Andy

@jdd @andywood Useful reminder lads. I must have seen various largish wildlife around five or six times since I started riding a year or so ago, and I have wondered what would happen if I startled an animal coming round a bend or something. Btw, has anyone experienced a bear out on a ride or when they've been out hiking?

@luka Interesting concept for the shoes. I've actually been interested in the same thing recently but with a bit of trail running. I did Monomiyama in Moroyama and then Mitake the other week, though I haven't been out since I got flu. Unfortunately my daughter got sick today so I had to cancel the ride/run I was going to do today.

Back
Top Bottom