What's new

James Martin British Chef

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
A disgrace!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...ter-electric-supercar-thats-fast-Ferrari.html
Knowing they wouldn't hear me coming, I stepped on the gas, waited until the split second before I overtook them, then gave them an almighty blast on the horn at the exact same time I passed them at speed.
The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror. I think this could be the car for me.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...upercar-thats-fast-Ferrari.html#ixzz0R8LmEUPD

This is after all, the Daily Mail, regularly referred to as the "Daily Hate-Mail" by a well known satirical magazine.

There seems to be a tendency amongst some provocative British journalists to denigrate cyclists a little bit. Matthew Paris in the Times got into trouble last year for wanting to decapitate cyclists.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article3097464.ece

I'd like to think that this irresponsible piece is a rare low point in British journalistic history, but it quite regularly plummets to new depths of atrociousness.

Paris was eventually forced into an apology after the article created something of an uproar.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/matthew_parris/article3123486.ece

One letter of complaint sent to the Mail.

Tamasai bashing?

Once in a while, cyclist bashing rears its ugly head in Japan as well. Last Sunday's Asahi Shimbun carried an article entitled 高速自転車「待った」"Kosoku Jitensha matta!" or "Calling a Stop to High-speed Bicycles" on the Tamasai. Somehow I didn't like the biased tone of this article.

Apparently there was a fatal cyclist-pedestrian collision accident in June (in which the pedestrian very unfortunately got killed). Fuchu City is planning to step up anti-speed measures along the "Kaze-no-Michi" zone (roughly between Koremasa ~ Sekido). Some dubious measures include erasing the center line (??), increasing the number of so-called "image humps" (イメージ・ハンプ) and caution signboards ("Beware of Speeding Cyclists"??). Since last year, I have been staying away from the "Tamasai" as much as possible by crossing the Tamagawa and making detours along the Onekan or using the roadway beneath. It has become too risky; this is no longer the cycling road it used to be. Just how many people know that the official name of this riverside road was changed from "Tamagawa Cycling Road" to "Tamagawa Pedestrians Priority Road" (「歩行者優先の道」)some 8 years ago? For bureaucrats, it is simply a matter of changing two characters to ban us cyclists from using the "Tamasai": 優先 → 専用 (「歩行者専用の道」) "Tamagawa Pedestrianized Road"!!

While I feel great sadness for the recent deadly accident along the "Tamasai," I am afraid this one is a lost battle for us cyclists.

Muppet!

What an idiot! I hope he cops a right flogging for writing that piece.

Even here I have had a couple of close shaves with Hybrid cars on my commute to work, they just seem to sneek up on you. Seems like electric cars will be just as quiet or even quieter. But I read recently that the car makers are thinking about adding some sort of sound to the engines of Hybrids and electrics. Mainly to protect blind people who can't hear these cars coming. So there might be a good solution on the way.

Keren

Regarding the The Tesla Roadster Article...
May I take this opportunity to apologize for any offence I have caused through the article in last weekend's Mail on Sunday. It was never my intention to offend the many cyclists who share our roads across the country. What was intended to be a humorous piece was clearly misjudged. Further more I do not condone any form of reckless driving.

Once again, I am sincerely sorry for any upset caused in relation to this article.

James Martin
:thumb1:

So he never buzzed the cyclists?
If he did then someone should tell the coppers.
If he didn't then he's been telling whoppers.

I know, a muse in the wings.:cool:

Once in a while, cyclist bashing rears its ugly head in Japan as well. Last Sunday's Asahi Shimbun carried an article entitled 高速自転車「待った」"Kosoku Jitensha matta!" or "Calling a Stop to High-speed Bicycles" on the Tamasai. Somehow I didn't like the biased tone of this article.

Apparently there was a fatal cyclist-pedestrian collision accident in June (in which the pedestrian very unfortunately got killed). Fuchu City is planning to step up anti-speed measures along the "Kaze-no-Michi" zone (roughly between Koremasa ~ Sekido). Some dubious measures include erasing the center line (??), increasing the number of so-called "image humps" (イメージ・ハンプ) and caution signboards ("Beware of Speeding Cyclists"??). Since last year, I have been staying away from the "Tamasai" as much as possible by crossing the Tamagawa and making detours along the Onekan or using the roadway beneath. It has become too risky; this is no longer the cycling road it used to be. Just how many people know that the official name of this riverside road was changed from "Tamagawa Cycling Road" to "Tamagawa Pedestrians Priority Road" (「歩行者優先の道」)some 8 years ago? For bureaucrats, it is simply a matter of changing two characters to ban us cyclists from using the "Tamasai": 優先 → 専用 (「歩行者専用の道」) "Tamagawa Pedestrianized Road"!!

While I feel great sadness for the recent deadly accident along the "Tamasai," I am afraid this one is a lost battle for us cyclists.

Very interesting to see this was a topic in 2009. After reading the more current thread on the issue today about another cyclist getting, perhaps, seriously injured, and people with nothing better to do shouting at cyclists and handing out leaflets on the matter along the Tama River, it just seems like a matter of time before bikes are banned there (or cyclists between the ages of 14 and 65 or something to that effect). Really sad since I live so nearby. I never new it was not considered a cycling road or that there were 20km speed limits posted and have done thousands of kms on it.

What is even more interesting is how the latest attack on cyclists has progressed. Not long ago it was the media and police looking to pick on some funky looking youths, but has quickly evolved into an all out attack, by the general public as well, on all cyclists, with or without brakes, on or off sidewalks, and it looks like it is only going to get worse. Makes me wonder if this was someone's master plan, not just a natural progression of events. Generally, people love to hate and enjoy having some minority as a scapegoat. I am all for preventing casualties, but this seems like something else.

I am all for pushing for a shift towards Jeremy Clarkson-esque attitudes among high-level cycling; a disregard for all other modes of transport, a major show set in a warehouse full of middle aged blokes, a begrudging appreciation of Eastern Asian technology and manufacture, and a general lack of women on the scene...

OH HANG ON.

Did you see what I did there?

What an arse, but then again, anyone who is described as "An English Chef"...... Well right there, that tells you they are full of it...... :rolleyes:

What is even more interesting is how the latest attack on cyclists has progressed. Not long ago it was the media and police looking to pick on some funky looking youths, but has quickly evolved into an all out attack, by the general public as well, on all cyclists, with or without brakes, on or off sidewalks, and it looks like it is only going to get worse. Makes me wonder if this was someone's master plan, not just a natural progression of events. Generally, people love to hate and enjoy having some minority as a scapegoat. I am all for preventing casualties, but this seems like something else.

It's not new..... This happened about two years ago as well. Groups of people on the cycle paths handing out flier's ect.ect.

I think people need to realise is that when the Tamasai path was laid they had no idea that there would be a huge sports bike boom and that it would see the level of traffic that it does. If you look at recent works on the river they are trying to expand and build more paths specifically for cyclists.

Just by Fusanobirugoya they have a Cycle Path with raised sides completely separating the footpath from the cycle path and from what I know they intend to expand on this.

Other rivers are also getting a make-over to deal with the increase of cyclists but these do take time and local Cycling Teams are being consulted on it. Aqua-Tama (Blue Kit with bubbles and stuff) are one of those and they are making head ways in to getting things changed for the better (It does help that most of them write or work as photographers for Bicycle Club).

The biggest problem is that I would say the majority of cyclists have their heads up their arse. They have an elitist attitude verging on that of religious zealots where even in the face of logic they think they have the god given right to be exactly where they are and at whatever speeds they see fit and its all cyclists from the fixie crowd not wanting to add breaks, the roadies not wanting to slow down on cycle paths and Mtb riders tearing up the local trails.

We all need to stop (maybe not stop but slow down) and think about what we are doing and if we are being responsible and setting the example to others. Also as foreigners we are easily spotted and stand out and watched so I feel that I should be setting an example, even more so if you race and are known.

Also for you "Averages" Junkies out there……… set your system to either stop recording when you stop or hit a certain speed eg: "stop when my speed drops below 10km/h" or stop training to average speeds….. it's a poor training method anyway :D

etc: [et set-er-uh, se-truh] ect: electroconvulsive therapy.
Peter, please stop picking on James regarding his lack of proofreading skills. He can't help it; it's caused by a small particle of brain still lodged in his skull. Besides which, as Senior TCC Insultant, it's my job*, nay, my sacred mission, to do this.

You'll be hearing from my UCI (Union of Cycling Insultants) representative.

Back
Top Bottom