What's new

Izu-Oshima training 07/07-08

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
I plan to head to Oshima for a mini training camp this weekend. Oshima is perfect for cycling and could be called Japan's Mallorca. Almost no traffic, beautiful ocean views and the active vulcano makes for a 600m climb.

Transportation:
Overnight Ferry from Takeshiba pier Tokyo, leaving fri 23:00 and arriving in Oshima by 5am (cost ~4000yen)
Return 7/7(Sun) 13:20-17:00
*rinkobag necessary

Reservation is handled by Tokaikisen
Optional jet ferry that takes just 90mins is also available for twice the price. It leaves by 4pm on Sunday and gives you three more hours of riding time.

I know a perfect spot for wild camping on the island right by the ocean with showers and toilets nearby, but there is also an official campsite and numerous pensions.

While there are no conbinis, there are some supermarkets and great options for eating fresh fish.

All in all a great trip for little money. I've got reservations for the boat and will be going of the weather forecast looks good enough on Friday. I welcome anybody interested in joining.

Gunjira, why don't you give a bit less notice! sounds like a good trip, do you take a tent with you or just sleep under the stars? i cant join this one but let me know if you plan to go again with a bot more notice!

Unfortunately I can't go, but looking forward to reading a nice report with photos :D

Haha, yeah give us a bit more notice, rudebwoy.

Sounds sick though...

Mike, I was counting on you ;) Sorry about the timing though, I just decided on this last night. (and I will cancel if it looks like rain on Saturday - there is no deposit on ferry reservation)

I'll bring my hammock, but the place I have in mind are basically three big roofed concrete tables by the ocean, so you could go with air mattress and sleeping bag only

Actually guys this sounds perfect for a TCC Tour de Oshima race :D

Have to agree that this is Japan's Mallorca and its something I've been wanting to do for some time also - Mike this is a ride I mentioned to you some time ago and we can actually catch the ferry from Kurihama in Yokosuka.

If i had some more notice I would have been 100% in on this as like i said its a ride I've been wanting to do for some time.

That's what I thought as well when I read the suggestion to have a Tcc event on some kind of loop course. The loop around the island is 50k with about 500m of elevation difference without doing the climb up the volcano.
I'll scout out some/all of the none main roads this weekend.

I've been wanting to see Izu-Oshima for something like 15 years, but haven't succeeded into talking my wife into a trip yet.

Half Fast Cycling have been out there for weekend rides before, there's one loop course listed on the Half Fast Cycling website.

I'm racing this weekend but would be up for a repeat of this trip in the future.

The crater rim hike is pretty cool too if you have the time and some walking shoes.

AW.

Sounds bloody good to me! Gunfire get that camera cracking mate, and show us the goods

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun. I can't make it this weekend, but like Alan, I'd be interested in a future visit!

Deej

Sounds bloody good to me! Gunfire get that camera cracking mate, and show us the goods

The iPhone spelling "correction" strikes again!

Geez Gunfire, I've been in suspense waiting for your update with pics for days! This has been more riveting than the tour this year:p

Thanks for the reminder! I transitioned right back into work, with no time to spare (arrangement for Gunma this WE, toeic yesterday. But it was amazing, here's a preview pic:

Back
Top Bottom