What's new

Izu Hanto 伊豆半島

Phil Harris

Speeding Up
Nov 9, 2006
I`ve got some time off starting 31 Aug, so there is time for a local long ride. Still haven`t seen western Izu; thinking about a 1st September departure with Shimoda or a nearby beach the days goal. Next day a stop along the west coast, third day Numazu then bike back to Yokohama probably via Atami pass, or perhaps Hakone.

Wouldn`t mind company if anyone else has the time.
:bike:

Phil, I would strongly recommend checking out the West Izu Skyline, which goes along the coast, but over the mountain tops - very beautiful smooth and open roads up there, but absolutely deprived of any vending machines & conbinis - have some extra water with you.
I love the west Izu, but cannot join you. Have fun!

Phil, I would strongly recommend checking out the West Izu Skyline, which goes along the coast, but over the mountain tops - very beautiful smooth and open roads up there, but absolutely deprived of any vending machines & conbinis - have some extra water with you.
I love the west Izu, but cannot join you. Have fun!

Many thanks for the tip; I`ll make sure I`ve got enough fluids prior to commencing the skyline.

Numazu has a rather excellent brewpub I intend to visit:
http://bairdbeer.com/en/taproom/numazu-taproom

Yes, the skyline is great.

On the west coast a dip in the onsens in the rocks overlooking the the sea at Dogashima is highly recommended. Quite expensive at 1000 yen though.

The upper part of the west coast is quite tough between the fishing villages - real up and down - but the views are breathtaking. Also if you get on to the northern coast the road is gentle, quiet and has great views of Fuji if the weather's good.

One of the best places to cycle in Japan I reckon! Enjoy!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com

Agree with everything that's been said here. The east side is also quite interesting, but the traffic is absolutely horrible, so not recommended.

Izu

Phil, my blog from a tour with Alan and Naomi might help you here. It has maps and pics. Atami is a great place to start and as already said, if I were you I'd avoid the east coast like the plague. Hope this helps:D

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/blog.php?b=59

Many thanks - inspirational pics! I`ve been along the east coast to Shimoda and up thru the middle of Izu via Amagi pass; this time, I will hit the west coast.

準備中 - Making Preps

Today will be spent reviewing maps and determining routes as well as packing. I briefly pondered taking the train to Numazu and riding only to Shimoda as I`ve already biked Izu`s east coast, but have decided to stick to original plan.

5 A.M. departure tomorrow......precisely fours years ago I departed Misawa for Yokohama on 01September, though on that trip I departed at 0930 to allow more time to sleep off the previous night`s activities.
:bike:

Cancelled!

Just got a call from my Boss - seems they need me for an emergent job. Good thing I found out today rather than tomorrow when arriving at Shimoda!

Some other time.

Love that bridgestone bike in the thumbnail. I can't make out the model name,
though:bike:

Back
Top Bottom