Izu Century Ride -- May 30th

Anyone interested? I will be in, so if you are interested, I can help register if you need.

This is a century ride from Numazu of Shizuoka prefecture to Kawazu along the sea side route of Izu peninsula.

Date: May 30,2009
Start: Numazu station at 8:00AM
End: Kawazu
Entry fee: 6,800yen including lunch
Distance: 160Km
Total ascent: 2,500m

The particular of this ride is to be a small and cozy event with approx.20 particiapants. This is accompanied by guides, one of who I know and speaks English.

http://www.alohabike.com/centuryride/

My plan is
1. stay at a hotel near-by the Numazu station in May 29
2. attend the event in May 30 and stay at a minshuku
3. ride toward Odawara as far as I can and then take a train to ga back home in May 31.

Minoru Arai

Kaffekata

Warming-Up
Apr 27, 2008
Tokyo, Jpn
Ikitee!!

Urayamashii na. I wanna go on an expedition like yours, touring aroud Izu but at a much slower pace--I'm seriously osoi. I have slow deraillers, but what can I say, I'm older and that's my pace.

I'd like to hear a good report of your trip so that I can recreate it, stopping here and there at my discretion, and maybe taking 3-4 days. It's on my must do list. I'll do with my rear rack attached and with panniers--grand touring.

After Izu, I want to do Hakodate. :D

Urayamashii na. I wanna go on an expedition like yours, touring aroud Izu but at a much slower pace--I'm seriously osoi. I have slow deraillers, but what can I say, I'm older and that's my pace.

I'd like to hear a good report of your trip so that I can recreate it, stopping here and there at my discretion, and maybe taking 3-4 days. It's on my must do list. I'll do with my rear rack attached and with panniers--grand touring.

After Izu, I want to do Hakodate. :D
mikata san

I do not know how old you are, but you can enjoy riding in your speed. I would rather like to do a long, leisurely ride than speed race. Leisurely means different to everyone. Let's have fun in our own way anyway.

I will definitely post a report after the run.

Minoru Arai

Executive summary of the tour

This is kind of over due report.

I and Lee made a circuit of Izu peninsula. The weather forecast was terrible with over 50% chance of rain and strong wind over the weekend, but it turned out a clear sky as you can see in the gallery photos.:)

The first day was organized by Trek japan and a local bike tour company. 14 loadies and 6 support staff met in the morning of May 30 in front of Numazu st. From Numazu st. we rolled out all together as a group running through a city area to an ocean. This 20KM is the only flat area of the day. Then after that, we rode along the coast line west of Izu peninsula. If you think of the coast line, you may expect a flat road, but this is not the case for Izu. We faced only either UPs or DOWNs all the way to Shimoda city. There were three over 250m climb hills but this gives us affluent rewards of great ocean view.
Traffic was little. Cournty road leads us to Shimoda city 130Km from Numazu.

There was an accident among the participants. He was running down a hill and get out off the road. He was riding too fast to control his bike and seriously injured and hospitalized later.

From Shimoda, we were suposed to go over one more climb toward the mountain area but skipped this route and took a rather flat coat line to Kawazu which is our destination due to the schedule delay caused by the accident.

The tour was well organized and provided us with plenty of food and courntesy which I think worth 6800yen.

Most of the participants returned back home, but I and Lee stayed at a pension there.

The second day started under the another clear sky. We headed Odawara taking hwy 135 on the eastern side of Izu. Toward Odawara, hwy 135 is the only choice but this 135 is not too good. The road is rather narrow and heavy traffic. Again, the road is all UPs and DOWNs like the western side of the peninsula.

On the way to Odawara, we met a friend of mine who is a local loadie, and he since then lead us to Odawara, guiding some view points and local fisherman's restaurant.

Overall, western side is great but I did not llike eastern side. I would like to come back to western side again. I thank Lee for the accompany two days.

Total distance is 240Km and total ascent is 3000m.

Minoru Arai

Kaffekata

Warming-Up
Apr 27, 2008
Tokyo, Jpn
Otsukaresama

Thanks for the report Arai-san. I thought the weather might cause a cancellation, but I'm glad to hear it didn't.

So it's a hilly route, is it? I like to challenge hills, but I wonder if I can do three 250 meter climbs. I know I couldn't make to Shimoda in one day. Maybe stopping at Dogashima, then going to Shimoda after that would be a good plan for me. Mmmm, otanoshimi...:) Before then, I'll have to practice more. Perhaps around the southern coast of Boso.

Agree

Thanks for the report Arai-san. I thought the weather might cause a cancellation, but I'm glad to hear it didn't.

So it's a hilly route, is it? I like to challenge hills, but I wonder if I can do three 250 meter climbs. I know I couldn't make to Shimoda in one day. Maybe stopping at Dogashima, then going to Shimoda after that would be a good plan for me. Mmmm, otanoshimi...:) Before then, I'll have to practice more. Perhaps around the southern coast of Boso.
mikata-san,

I agree with your idea stopping at Dogashima on the way. I should have ridden slow and spent more time in each fishing village. If you ride in your speed, there will not be any issue. Good luck

Minoru Arai