What's new

Ride Iwatake - Down a hill Mountain Biking...

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I am heading to Iwatake this weekend for the last "park session" of the year.
Anyone interested in going - Spicy Rentals in Hakuba rents bikes.
This is a beginner friendly park- so if you wanna go check this stuff out, it is a great time.
I have done this park on an enduro as well as an XC Hardtail.
I raced this park years ago in a single speed race - so it is NOT what the Redbull wants you to believe mountain biking is.

If you are interested but need a ride, I will be rolling out of Yokosuka after lunch - if you can be somewhat on my way, I can swing by and grab you - just chip in on tolls and gas!

Saturday's dinner after a day of riding will most likely be at Hakuba Taproom.

so the plan is to stay somewhere on Friday night only, or also on Sat? very tempted by this thing!

Luka, i have a friend that owns a lodge out there. Usually 3000y a night.
Stay friday, ride all day Saturday, then hang out for the night. Wakeup Sunday and drive back before traffic

sounds like a great plan. I've been looking into youtube vids of iwatake, and it does look beginner friendly. some points that worry me:

- gravel bike (essentially a rigid) with MTB tires, gonna cut it or not? can your car take bikes at all, or does it have to be rental up there?
- don't have that whole body armor you MTB guys use (protectors, full face helmet, rugged gloves etc)
- I expect it's gonna be bloody cold in Hakuba this time of the year, and we're basically just going downhill right? so probably need a lot of layers to keep warm? (could probably improvise something from my road and mountaineering gear)
- I have to be at work in central Tokyo until 1 or 1:30 pm on Friday at least. I could commute by bike and take all the gear in the backpack so I'm ready there and then, but is there and then good enough and doable for you (and any others going)?

1- Gravel Bike would be able to do the flow trail - however.... it is making it harder than necessary and may take some of the fun out of it. I have an elgrand.... I can haul some bikes.
2 - Full body armor is not a requirement... I do however have spare knee and elbow pads you can borrow. Shit happens, and when it happens going downhill...... better safe than bleeding.
3 - Define Cold...haha - yes, it will be much cooler than here. You don't need bike specific gear since pedaling will be minimal - but you want stuff that breaths.
4 - I would be leaving Yokosuka around 1 or so and could leave a little later to accommodate. If you decide you really do want to go, we can work out a plan to meet up.

Thanks. I had something on Friday night so let me see if I can wiggle out of it, as this is far more appealing. I'll let you know by tonight

oh no, what am I gonna wear?! how's my hair? makeup?

amazing views
That's what I'm hoping for indeed. I even packed small binoculars haha. Too bad it's too late for me to check out the video now. But probably wanna stay away from kamikaze trail methinks, for the very first time at a park and very first time on a suspension bike

We are gonna ride everything!
Just need to do a couple runs on the flow course to get you acclimated.

Can hardly wait. Wrapping up things at work right now, and should be leaving around 1:30 as planned. What a great weather weekend for it too, just hope the place won't be packed with people trying to get in a last ride of the season...

Can hardly wait. Wrapping up things at work right now, and should be leaving around 1:30 as planned. What a great weather weekend for it too, just hope the place won't be packed with people trying to get in a last ride of the season...
It will be fine. Many are scared of the cold anyway

Just seen this thread. Very jealous. Been a long time since I hit MTB trails. Have fun out there

I got some video, but need to make time to go through it.

Here is a still I snagged off the camera.
Luka1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom