What's new

It's official. I'm moving to Tokyo.

CaliforniaVelo

Warming-Up
Jun 14, 2012
So, my wife and I will be moving to Tokyo by the end of the year. I am just finishing a pretty busy bicycle racing season in New England would like to keep the momentum going. Is there a winter riding season in Tokyo? Or does everyone ride indoors?

I will be looking for group rides, training rides, and road races. I would also like to do some amateur track racing if possible.

I am not sure where we are going to live yet, but probably downtown.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Alright mate.

Just check for rides that are happening at the time you want to get out on one. There is always something happening.

Yes, you can ride all your round in the Kanto area (around Tokyo), except for a couple of days of snow if you're unlucky:

IMG_1842.JPG

I managed over 1600 km from January to March, despite two trips abroad.

The coldest season is usually late January / February, but even then it will usually be at least as warm as 8 C at sea level during daytime. Obviously you still need adequate layers to deal with it.

IMG_1527.JPG

Up on the hills west of Tokyo is another matter. It gets quite a bit chillier up there and there will be more snow. The Miura peninsula is great for winter rides:

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

There are always the routes along the rivers (Tamagawa, Arakawa, etc).

My "Belgian shoe covers":
IMG_1516.JPG

On a 1000 m pass in early March:
IMG_1897.JPG

Climbing Tomin no mori in March:
IMG_3154.jpg

I forgot to ask, but does anyone enjoy powder skiing as well as cycling? From what I've heard, Japan has some truely spectacular powder during the winter, and it looks like only a few hours away by bullet train. Looks like I will be arriving just in time for the ski season.

So we just spent a few days looking at apartments in Azabu, Rippongi,Hiro-o areas. Is anyone based around here? I will be available weekdays starting at the beginning of next year. Anyone on a similar schedule?

So we just spent a few days looking at apartments in Azabu, Rippongi,Hiro-o areas. Is anyone based around here? I will be available weekdays starting at the beginning of next year. Anyone on a similar schedule?

I am often riding during the weekdays and am not too far from the areas you mention.

BTW, there is a 100km "Road Race" on the car racing circuit Twin Ring Motegi on January 3rd.

Well, we are here. My bikes are due to arrive some time mid January (assuming they don't sink in the pacific).

We are living in Minami-Azabu. Hope to see some of you soon.

I forgot to ask, but does anyone enjoy powder skiing as well as cycling? From what I've heard, Japan has some truely spectacular powder during the winter, and it looks like only a few hours away by bullet train. Looks like I will be arriving just in time for the ski season.

Hey

I am a skier / snowboarder here, and yes the snow is excellent. Predictably, the resorts get crowded and suffer from groups of people behaving in typical fashion for this neck of the woods, but overall it is great. Get yourself up the mountains!

My wife is here for work, so I am a "trailing spouse" for the time being. I plan on studying Aikido, exploring the area by bicycle, learning the language, maybe doing some bike racing, hit up the epic powder skiing in the north, and hopefully making some friends.
I spent the summer bike racing, and really had a blast. Was starting to do well in Cat 4 races. Probably could have upgraded if I didn't leave for Tokyo.
I have also been doing some backcountry skiing the past few years, but my nearest ski buddy is now thousands of miles away.

I got my bikes on Friday. Took a quick blast from hiroo over to roppongi and back home. I missed being on two wheels.

Who would like to meet up and show me some rides during the week? My Aikido finishes at 930, I could be ready to roll around 1030.

I got my bikes on Friday. Took a quick blast from hiroo over to roppongi and back home. I missed being on two wheels.

Who would like to meet up and show me some rides during the week? My Aikido finishes at 930, I could be ready to roll around 1030.

Some of us do manage to get together for a few weekday rides. I will let you know if anything comes up or you can check the "January Weekday Rides" thread. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom