Is wearing a bright color top (shirt, jacket) something to think about when cycling

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Ube -shi, Yamaguchi-ken
Having years of experience on a motor bike, I always tried to wear a bright color type of clothing. Do you guys feel the same about bright clothes on a bicycle. I know I'll continue to try to wear some kind of bright clothes .

Also, which is better: a white helmet or a bright color one

I read here on the forum that a white helmet keeps the head a lot cooler. Something like that.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Yes, it will definitely help — visibility is the primary mean of protecting us against accidents with cars. Most cycling clothes and cycling backpacks include reflective material for that reason, too.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Present helmet is red, with black showing thru the vents. Previous one was red (a brighter, stronger red) with some yellow stripes. Black shorts or bibs are okay, but go with something hyper-visible on your upper body. (not ninja/black)

Reactions: adventurous cyclist

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Ube -shi, Yamaguchi-ken
Present helmet is red, with black showing thru the vents. Previous one was red (a brighter, stronger red) with some yellow stripes. Black shorts or bibs are okay, but go with something hyper-visible on your upper body. (not ninja/black)

What about a bright "mango" color helmet?

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
What about a bright "mango" color helmet?
That's perfect. POC claims the most visible color is orange and makes it a point to sell things like helmets in an orange that I love. That's why one of my helmets is orange. The other one is blue with turquoise-green accents.

However, I'd also get front and rear lights and run them also during the day. I have see.sense lights, which are amazing and a Cateye VOLT 800 regular front light.

Reactions: adventurous cyclist

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Sure, but go for the ripe yellow/red version, and not the dull green.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Having years of experience on a motor bike, I always tried to wear a bright color type of clothing. Do you guys feel the same about bright clothes on a bicycle. I know I'll continue to try to wear some kind of bright clothes .

Also, which is better: a white helmet or a bright color one

I read here on the forum that a white helmet keeps the head a lot cooler. Something like that.
Nope. All my cycling clothes are black. If I'm riding at night, a brightly-coloured shirt isn't going to do anything. In the daytime, perhaps it would help, but if someone isn't paying attention to the road, a pink jersey again won't make any difference in preventing them from mowing you down. Make sure you have decent, bright lights, especially for your rear light, and ride in the proper position.
Helmet colour making a noticable difference in temperature seems like a load of nonsense. The outer surface of the helmet may indeed be cooler, but the actual thickness of the foam and the fact that foam isn't a strong conductor of heat means any temp difference on the surface means diddly squat.

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Ube -shi, Yamaguchi-ken
Nope. All my cycling clothes are black. If I'm riding at night, a brightly-coloured shirt isn't going to do anything. In the daytime, perhaps it would help, but if someone isn't paying attention to the road, a pink jersey again won't make any difference in preventing them from mowing you down. Make sure you have decent, bright lights, especially for your rear light, and ride in the proper position.
Helmet colour making a noticable difference in temperature seems like a load of nonsense. The outer surface of the helmet may indeed be cooler, but the actual thickness of the foam and the fact that foam isn't a strong conductor of heat means any temp difference on the surface means diddly squat.

Thanks for the info on the helmet. The other day I went to GooDay (hardware store) and tried on a bike helmet, something I've never done. So I put it on and wanted to test the impact of my palm hitting the helmet. (Big mistake) Thought I was hitting a karate kick bag. I had to say this. Ooch! Of course a helmet is better then no helmet but I was surprised of the impact as if there was no protection. Hope I never have to find out, but yes, I'll be buying one. Should be my first purchase after I get my bike.

stu_kawagoe

Maximum Pace
Jun 23, 2018
I try to go for good lights (front and back) and something hi-vis on top when riding at night. I bought this for running and it works fine, though the one I’ve got is a little big so I use a safety pin to make it more snug. I also bought a sash that I can wear and some wrist straps and ankle straps. When I run at night, it’s amazing the difference between just wearing a headlamp and wearing a head lamp and hi visibility clothing. I find the effect is very similar when I’m on my bike.

I don’t wear particularly bright colors during the day as I’ve only got a couple of sets of cycling stuff. I’m in the market for a new cycling jersey and I’ll probably get something a bit louder next time, but that’s probably more a fashion thing if I’m honest.