What's new

Is this carbon frame damage repairable ?

dastott

Maximum Pace
May 10, 2012
Hi guys. Looking for some advice. Unfortunately damaged my carbon frame (see photos) on the chain stay. I am wondering if this carbon damage is repairable or is the frame a write off? Thanks.Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 5.09.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 5.09.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 5.09.37 PM.png

Last edited:
If that's both sides I would say it's not looking good. One side it's more possible. There are a few pro repair shops who could give you a better opinion though.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the other side is quite damaged too.Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 9.42.06 PM.png

how was it damaged? Depends how deep the damage is Is the wheel still in alignment in the frame? If it is I'd give it a shot and use it as a trainer or crit racer. Otherwise donate the parts to a replacement frame.

I was hit by a car. Sadly, the rear wheel no longer aligns to the frame. It rubs heavily on the opposite side to the damage.

I wouldn't say it is totally toast. If it is a very sentimental bike and you really wanted to get it repaired, I think there are people out there that can do it.
I follow a guy on Instagram that builds frames and components from carbon. He sometimes does repairs

If it isn't super sentimental then I wouldn't bother with the hassle of getting it repaired. Just get the insurance company to buy you a new one.

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know of carbon repairers in Japan? It is a high end frame which I really enjoy riding. Getting it repaired would be the best option but wasn't sure how feasible it is, hence my OP.

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know of carbon repairers in Japan? It is a high end frame which I really enjoy riding. Getting it repaired would be the best option but wasn't sure how feasible it is, hence my OP.
Try these guys https://www.carbondryjapan.com/repair.html#repair , they should be able to give you an estimate of the cost. Also check if the manufacturer has a crash replacement plan. If you got hit by a car, and it wasn't your car, it should be covered by the cars insurance.

If you got hit by a car, it wasn't your fault, and it wasn't a hit and run, you should DEFINITELY claim against the car owner's insurance.

Not for frame repair.

You should claim for a new bike. Also any damaged parts, clothing, helmet etc.

Basically anything that is scuffed: shoes, pedals, glasses, derailleur... you are entitled to the cost of new.

I was hit by a car 18 months ago and made a successful claim.

If you need any guidance on how to do this, let me know.

Cheers,

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

They aren't in Japan, so it probably doesn't make sense for you, but Calfee in California are well known for their carbon repair. You'd have to disassemble the bike and pay shipping, but they have a great reputation. The before/after photos are amazing.
https://calfeedesign.com/repair/

Also, check out their bamboo bikes! I've seen a few in the wild and they are very cool.

Not sure why you are wanting to go down the repair route. Can you explain why you prefer that rather than getting a replacement frame (same brand / model). Was the crash your fault? I know that if it wasn't my fault, I would definitely be wanting to get a new frame.

Alternatively, get yourself a custom steel. You won't regret it

As you said, sentimental value, and was looking for the most economical option. Thanks for all the responses. Have ordered a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom