What's new

Tech Is it possible to upgrade a fixie to a touring bike?

larsrose

Warming-Up
May 6, 2019
I am considering upgrading my bike to buy a touring bike. However, before end up spending a lot of money on a new bike, I wanted to figure out if I could reconfigure my current fixie to turn it into a simple touring bike. I have a Specizlized Globe Roll II, which has a great frame, but the single speed and narrow tires no longer suits my needs. I am quite confident I can fit some wider tires, but I wonder if it is feasible to fit some new gears and brakes on this bike, or if I am wasting my energy?

Not really.
No holes for a rack, no hanger for a derailleur, etc....
The headache would be huge - unless you decide on an internal hub, but even then, the cost is prohibitive.

The frame was also not designed with the extra weight in mind, proper wheelbase, etc... , so even if you got everything to work, it would still possibly suck.
Just get the right bike for the job and in the end, you will enjoy it more.

I'd second @bloaker's comments. Your n+1 touring bike doesn't have to be super-expensive.

Thank you both! Much appreciated! I feel more confident about making investment in new bike then. Considering a Surley or an All City, which should hopefully be built for the job.

Dude!!! You are talking my language now!
I have a surly and love the all-city paint jobs. What shop?

Shiko-san is just an all around great guy and has been active in the MTB scene, so it is fun when the owner knows the sport (and your style if he rides with you), so I am quite partial. I am heading up to his shop this week to get some suspension work done. If you schedule with him, he can turn stuff around and get it back to you relatively quick.

Blue Lug also has a good reputation, although I have never been personally.

Shiko-san is just an all around great guy and has been active in the MTB scene, so it is fun when the owner knows the sport (and your style if he rides with you), so I am quite partial. I am heading up to his shop this week to get some suspension work done. If you schedule with him, he can turn stuff around and get it back to you relatively quick.

Blue Lug also has a good reputation, although I have never been personally.

Thanks! I'll try to take a look. It sounds good! My main argument for Blue lug is that it's close to home, and it's always useful when you need some help.

Thanks! I'll try to take a look. It sounds good! My main argument for Blue lug is that it's close to home, and it's always useful when you need some help.
That is a 100% valid reason. I have heard people talk about that shop positively a few times (which is good since it is nowhere near me). And for follow up service location is a huge deal. I just know when looking, Surly, All-City, Salsa, etc can get difficult to find. Also never want to feel trapped with just one dealer option.

Blue Lug is a great shop for this kind of thing. They're very tuned into touring/gravel riding/utility bikes... most things cycling outside of the the main market share of road bikes, mountain bikes, and track bikes. They have standard builds but they are always happy to give suggestions and build up frankenbikes too.

Back
Top Bottom