What's new

Is a power meter for me?

There are many factors to consider and a professional trainer is one of the important ones, but what is a guy to do with a limited budget ;) Tim mentioned doing the pro coach first and then a power trainer, and others say go for the PM. In the end both are the way to go, and if I can work in the coach session with the PM then I will because of the points you made here.

LOL - this is why as a coach I have power meters the atheletes can use as well as indoor testing equipment that has power :D

Many of the atheletes I've coached have been in the same boat - what I do is teach them how to train both indoor and outdoors to max effiency with and without power meters.

LOL - this is why as a coach I have power meters the atheletes can use as well as indoor testing equipment that has power :D

Many of the atheletes I've coached have been in the same boat - what I do is teach them how to train both indoor and outdoors to max effiency with and without power meters.

Brilliantly confusing ;) LOL

It seems that I have some more thinking to do. It seems like the best case is to have a PM and consult a professional, but that's a significant investment and an on-going cost so I really need to understand if its worth it to me.

I stated my goals and there not crazy, but I like to do well at what I do so I'm taking the training with a modicum of seriousness. In the end I just love riding my bike, and if I can have a training program that provides improvement and helps make stronger so that I get respectable Granfondo finishes and crit results then I'm happy. Truth be told I don't care much about the crit racing, I think it's not interesting but I may change my mind after doing some.

So I have an understanding of what is needed to get where I want to go, but I'll have to decide what's best for me - power meter or coaching, coaching and then in the future a power meter, or power and then a coach later on or when I can afford to.

What came first?? ;)

I stated my goals and there not crazy, but I like to do well at what I do so I'm taking the training with a modicum of seriousness. In the end I just love riding my bike, and if I can have a training program that provides improvement and helps make stronger so that I get respectable Granfondo finishes and crit results then I'm happy. Truth be told I don't care much about the crit racing, I think it's not interesting but I may change my mind after doing some.

That resonates with my first reply. If you are not all in, riding against the fact that there will always be people faster than you, this fast lane approach might maximize your gains in what little time you have, but it won't maximize the enjoyment you take out of it.

You don't sound ultra competitive and participation in events will take its toll, so why don't you try taking it one step at a time? In your current state, I'm sure you will be fast enough to enter the lower levels of a couple of different events through 2013, which should give you a better understanding about what you like best, eg hillclimb, crit, enduro, road race, granfondos, speedy group ride.

We had a post at the end of last year, where TCCers shared their goals for 2012, you might look for some guidance as well. Maybe somemone will start a 2013 edition as well?

Lastly, I recently received a clever device called the Cycleops Powercal, which is a heart rate sensor, that interpolates and sends power data as well. Not meant as a replacement for a true power meter, the jury is out wether it is good enough to measure the volume/intensity of your structured training. It's only 99$, so might be a good compromise initially. Once I've got my cold cured, ill start using it.

I am all about taking the proper steps to achieve what you want, so I do and will take things in this process. Trying the different events is a good idea; what do mean by saying that the races will take their toll on me?

Admittedly I'm passive aggressive when it comes to competition and this is my personal tactic to make me strive for more and push more, so when I say that I want a respectable time in a race I don't expect top ten's at first but it will not be long before I get frustrated and want more. I don't talk about it; I be about it.

I will look into that Cycleops product you mention, but by all means please do let us know your closing impressions if you can.

Part 2, before I hit the books again I wanted to say this.

I did some Alpine ski racing in my past, for about 9 years, and I was coached professionally for the entire time so I fully understand the benefit of a good coach. In the sport and out. I have never forgotten the techniques, lessons, training, and mental preparation that I was taught, and now as a veteran with 30 years of skiing behind me I still see those lessons coming useful. As I get older and as I had competed locally, provincially, and nationally I have nothing to prove, but when I feel myself developing a bad habit then I go back to basics and use the knowledge I gained from Peter (my coach 9 years ago). He taught me a lot about the sport and myself.

The more I think about it the more I see a common theme in my replies; I lack the knowledge and experience to know what I'm doing and I'm just guessing when it comes to improvement, so I require leadership and guidance. The gadgets are sexy and I love that stuff :) but my experience in ski racing tells me that I'll gain more from a trainer than a $1,500 machine.

Trying the different events is a good idea; what do mean by saying that the races will take their toll on me?

Considering all factors it involves a sizable amount of time and money plus you should expect to crash. I still don't regret any race I did and don't want to discourage, but its a learning curve until you know what you really like. I also favor grand fondo type events, but a coach like James might be able to recommend suitable events that fit into a structured plan for your 2013 season.

Considering all factors it involves a sizable amount of time and money plus you should expect to crash. I still don't regret any race I did and don't want to discourage, but its a learning curve until you know what you really like. I also favor grand fondo type events, but a coach like James might be able to recommend suitable events that fit into a structured plan for your 2013 season.

Understood thanks ;)

So true. Train improperly with these devices and all you end up with are bad habits and perhaps even training induced injuries. It's almost same as trying to learn to fly from reading a book. It works up to a point, but then actually have to land the darn thing.

What? Crash? Surely you jest! I crashed so often the first year I raced there was a pool betting if I wouldn't! Hmm let me count ... (includes some from skiing and mc racing)

left leg broken - 3x
right leg - 1x
right arm - 1x
left arm -2x
right collarbone - 2x
left collarbone - 1x
right foot - 1x
fingers - alot
nose - a few times
ribs - alot
teeth - i think i broke 6 so far

So true. Train improperly with these devices and all you end up with are bad habits and perhaps even training induced injuries. It's almost same as trying to learn to fly from reading a book. It works up to a point, but then actually have to land the darn thing.

If you just crash then your ok!

What? Crash? Surely you jest! I crashed so often the first year I raced there was a pool betting if I wouldn't! Hmm let me count ... (includes some from skiing and mc racing)

left leg broken - 3x
right leg - 1x
right arm - 1x
left arm -2x
right collarbone - 2x
left collarbone - 1x
right foot - 1x
fingers - alot
nose - a few times
ribs - alot

Mmm yummy

left leg broken - 3x
right leg - 1x
right arm - 1x
left arm -2x
right collarbone - 2x
left collarbone - 1x
right foot - 1x
fingers - alot
nose - a few times
ribs - alot

I've been very lucky with my cycling crashes...

Rugby: 15 years. One broken scapula, one busted ACL. Numerous sprains ans muscle tears.
Basketball: 20 years. One broken eye socket. Numerous twisted ankles.
Surfing: Lots of cuts to all parts of my body from fins, rocks, nose of board and other surfers in the way.
Being a kid: 12 years plus 12 years plus 12 years, plus or minus 12 years. Two broken collarbones. Lots of stubbed toes and grazed knees.
Electric scooter commute 3 years: Hit by a car and hurled 5m through the air landing perpendicular on my helmet...ambulance but no injuries.
Racing a bicyle: 10 years. (at least 3 crashes at over 45kph ) plus a few minor falls.
Lost a bit/lot of skin and the biggest cycling accident being 3 stitches to a cut under my eye due to landing on my helmet that pushed my sunglasses into my face.

Cycling is relatively safe...what other sport can have you bouncing along the asphalt at speed with nothing more than a few mm of lycra protecting your skin and a flimsy foamy contraption on your head cleverly marketed as a helmet...and not get hurt?

For me the most painful thing is having a nasal hair plucked poorly. Never try that while riding a bicycle.

Although inviting I'm not going to chime in on prior injuries, as this seems better within a separate thread. Let's just say that with a combination of caution, skill and luck you may come out relatively unscathed, but that mindset might be unrealistic or even counterproductive. And judging from the eagerness of some members to share, the chance to show off scars as trophies seems one meaningful and welcome aspect of getting serious about cycling.

On this point there is one more thing I need to prepare; a race bike that I don't mind putting down.

I don't want my baby getting messed up

On this point there is one more thing I need to prepare; a race bike that I don't mind putting down.

I don't want my baby getting messed up

WTF?

This is something I don't understand - your race bike should be the bike that is going to offer all the marginal gains - not your winter beater.

If you are scared of crashing or dinging your baby don't race - its the wrong mindset and puts you and others in danger.

Well I can't replace it right now so yeah I don't want to crash, and maybe it's better to just wait to race when I can afford to replace my bike if/when I go down

Ok been racing professional, semi-pro and for shitz and giggles.

Worst injury I've had is a broken knee when racing XCmtb. Bike racing isn't dangerous and I think Tim's are on the extreme and to be as he points out not all from cycle racing - collar bones are the ones that go and normally in juniors that haven't got a clue how to crash.

Yes there is a safe way to crash that will limit your injuries, Keirin riders are taught this as well as Pista (Track riders) very few roadies today are taught it.

Well I can't replace it right now so yeah I don't want to crash, and maybe it's better to just wait to race when I can afford to replace my bike if/when I go down

Chances are (when) you go down you won't break your bike, damage yes, destroy components, perhaps but you are putting off the fun of cycle racing out of an unlikely fear. You may have to replace components from time to time but we all do that anyway. Get out there and have some fun. You are more likely to break you bike in a commuting accident, but that never stops us. Who was it that said "no excuses"?

And on that note I have to get off my ares and go get some exercise.

Yeah good point about just getting out there, and the reason I said I should get a bike that don't mind messing-up is because a friend told me that was a better idea. But then again he has never raced.

I'll be getting out and looking for a better place to train; I will try and find my way to Yomiuri Land later today after studying.

Back
Top Bottom