What's new

Introduction + Research for a bike (and maybe companionship) in May

Shinkansen train yes you can take your bike on the shinkansen, just put it in a bag take the front wheel off and then I turn the front of the bike into the side of the bike and you should be just fine. I believe the maximum size is 270 cm so it can't go over that plus if you have a lot of luggage like I did you have to pay reservation price so be aware of that specially if you're in shin Osaka , also if you take the shinkansen make sure you're at the back of the train and make sure you you get the back seat. behind the back seat is divided three seats on one side two seats on the other side make sure you get the three seats behind, your bike will fit behind that and your luggage should be able to fit behind the other two seats on the other side that is how I always done it when I took the shinkansen.
thanks for these very important informations!

Hey Jean-Marie, welcome and willkommen to the forums!
Thanks, mate!
If you happen to have one/two extra days, the Shimanami Kaido is a pretty nice gentle route (70km main route) that takes you over several little islands. You'd just have to go back for your route, something to think about maybe.
that's a great tip! I read about it in my favourite newspaper two days ago - has to be very cool :)
In general I'll be headed the same direction, somewhere around week 2-3 in May (Trans Japan trip). Let's see what's what by then :)
Well, my PMs are open. So, let's see if we can cross paths!

Hey folks, so I wanted to thank everyone for your help and your minds on this. I came to a decision: I bought a ne gravel bike which I am going to take to Japan. Because of all the charges, it is much cheaper that way than to buy one in Japan and transfer it to Germany afterwards. So again thanks a lot for everything. It was surprising but at the same time very touching that so many people in this forum are so altruistic and nice! Have a great weekend!

Just an additional thought for your planning, buying Euro-made spare parts is sometimes tremendously cheaper at home than in Japan.. ie Conti tires or Schwalbe tubes. What bike did you get?

Just an additional thought for your planning, buying Euro-made spare parts is sometimes tremendously cheaper at home than in Japan.. ie Conti tires or Schwalbe tubes. What bike did you get?
Thanks, I will take some tires and tubes etc. with me! As for your question about my new bike: the new Canyon Grizl 8 1 by Ekar AL, so that I can put a carrier on it.

Back
Top Bottom