What's new

Introduction + Research for a bike (and maybe companionship) in May

Jean-Marie

Warming-Up
Feb 21, 2023
Dear cyclists,

I am Jean-Marie from Munich, Germany, 30 years old and passionate reporter and cyclist. Thanks a lot for welcoming me in this community. I heard a lot about cycling in Japan and I am delighted to announce that I am coming to your country in May. My goal is to cycle from Tokyo to Hiroshima. I'm doing a lot of bike tours (road bike and trekking) in Central Europe (Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites etc.) and have some experience in this domain. But this time, I won't take my own bike with me and it will be my first time in Japan. So I wanted to know, if you could throw some ideas at me, where I could borrow a stable trekking bike on which I can attach two big bags and do this tour. By the way, at least seven gears would be fine ;-)

And if you'd have some tips for ryokans, onsens etc. on my way, that would be very helpful, too. My route would be: Tokyko, Fuji, Nagoya, Kyoto, Kobe, Hiroshima. Of course, if you'd like to accompany me for one day or so, you are very welcome!

Thanks in advance and all the best wishes,
Jean-Marie

Welcome to our forums. In Japan, size is important: if you ride size L/56 cm or equivalent, it might be harder to find a bike.

Apart from that, Japan is a great place for cycling. The key is to pick the right time, you want to about the rainy season in each region and the muggy summer heat.

1. Is travel health insurance mandatory ?
2. Bicycle insurance, will you be able to buy it without a Japanese residence ?

What type of cycling gear will you be bringing ?

If all goes well for me, I'll start touring in April. I'm down in Yamaguchi.
Maybe I can meet up with you, but currently haven't decided yet whether I go north or south.
Drop me a line anytime.

Welcome to our forums. In Japan, size is important: if you ride size L/56 cm or equivalent, it might be harder to find a bike.

Apart from that, Japan is a great place for cycling. The key is to pick the right time, you want to about the rainy season in each region and the muggy summer heat.
Unfortunately, my frame size is 56 cm, indeed :)

Is there any reason why you don't want to take your own bike?
A few reasons, indeed. Transport fees, (de-)assembling the bike and that the two times, I transferred a bike by plane, I saw the airport staff throwing the bike on the baggage claim. So yeah, it's easier for me to rent a bike in Tokyo instead of taking one with me and assemble it in the airport after one day of flight :) (maybe it's because I am not 22 anymore and became a bit comfy ;-))

1. Is travel health insurance mandatory ?
2. Bicycle insurance, will you be able to buy it without a Japanese residence ?

What type of cycling gear will you be bringing ?

If all goes well for me, I'll start touring in April. I'm down in Yamaguchi.
Maybe I can meet up with you, but currently haven't decided yet whether I go north or south.
Drop me a line anytime.
1. I've got one ;-)
2. I don't know, but I want to rent one instead of buying it. But I admit that it doesn't make much difference.

Cool, we'll stay in touch!

A few reasons, indeed. Transport fees, (de-)assembling the bike and that the two times, I transferred a bike by plane, I saw the airport staff throwing the bike on the baggage claim.
I have traveled quite a bit with bikes, and I understand your fears. However, isn't that part of doing business when you are into bike packing and bike tours?

With a rental you don't know what you are getting. You could be super lucky or draw the short end of the stick. When I went to Chile, my rental (that came with the tour guide) was superb. Oddly enough in the Netherlands (of all places), I got a clunker.

Also, depending on the length of your trip, it might be cheaper to buy a bike here … but if unless "you don't care" what model you get, pickings will be slim because of your size. (Just to give you an idea, a lot of makes and models are only imported up to size M/54 cm, sometimes the limit is even size S.) Generally, there are no bikes in your (our) size on the show room.

How do you plan on carrying your belongings? Do you want to use a rack and pannier bags? Or just a backpack (e. g. a Deuter Transalp)?

I have traveled quite a bit with bikes, and I understand your fears. However, isn't that part of doing business when you are into bike packing and bike tours?

With a rental you don't know what you are getting. You could be super lucky or draw the short end of the stick. When I went to Chile, my rental (that came with the tour guide) was superb. Oddly enough in the Netherlands (of all places), I got a clunker.

Also, depending on the length of your trip, it might be cheaper to buy a bike here … but if unless "you don't care" what model you get, pickings will be slim because of your size. (Just to give you an idea, a lot of makes and models are only imported up to size M/54 cm, sometimes the limit is even size S.) Generally, there are no bikes in your (our) size on the show room.

How do you plan on carrying your belongings? Do you want to use a rack and pannier bags? Or just a backpack (e. g. a Deuter Transalp)?
Thanks a lot for your assessment. I hate to be so average :D

I fear that I won't be able to re-sell my bike if I would buy one in Japan. Because honestly, I don't need another one in my cellar :) but you could be right about this. My trip will be 20 days long. As I don't know the costs of renting a bike in Japan, I can't assess this precisely. But in Germany or France, the cost of renting one would be approximately 30 euros per day, makes 600. Buying a bike for 1200 euro and re-sell it for 800 would be 200 euros cheaper. But there are a lot of if's in this calculation.

I prefer to use a carrier and attach two bags on it.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for your assessment. I hate to be so average :D
I don't think what you do is average, far from it.
Just sharing my experiences with a fellow bike nerd from Germany 🍻.
My trip will be 20 days long. As I don't know the costs of renting a bike in Japan, I can't assess this precisely. But in Germany or France, the cost of renting one would be approximately 30 euros per day, makes 600. Buying a bike for 1200 euro and re-sell it for 800 would be 200 euros cheaper. But there are a lot of if's in this calculation.
My feeling is that you won't find a bike for 30 € per day (bike sharing services don't count, I'm quite sure they'd lock the bike if you took it too far out of Tokyo). A reputable place to rent bikes is GSAstuto. I don't live in Tokyo, so I have never dealt with them, but I have heard their name being dropped here on the forum a few times. They do have one bike in your size, a gravel/adventure bike, but I am not sure whether you will be able to attach your carrier and pannier bags. The rent is 7,500 ¥/day, so about 50 €/day. 20 days will come out to about 1,000 €.

Most rentals I am aware of rent either road bikes or gravel bikes. I don't think I have heard of any place renting out touring or trekking bikes.

Last time I flew with a bike, it just cost the price of an extra piece of luggage, about 130–160 € both ways (don't remember, it was in 2015). I packaged my bike really well and then kept my fingers and toes crossed. The biggest issue was my wife, she almost wanted to divorce me as carrying the bike box was so heavy and cumbersome. ;)
I prefer to use a carrier and attach two bags on it.
If you need attachment points on your rental, keep that in mind.

I don't think what you do is average, far from it.
Just sharing my experiences with a fellow bike nerd from Germany 🍻.
Haha, I meant my frame size/height ;-)
My feeling is that you won't find a bike for 30 € per day (bike sharing services don't count, I'm quite sure they'd lock the bike if you took it too far out of Tokyo). A reputable place to rent bikes is GSAstuto. I don't live in Tokyo, so I have never dealt with them, but I have heard their name being dropped here on the forum a few times. They do have one bike in your size, a gravel/adventure bike, but I am not sure whether you will be able to attach your carrier and pannier bags. The rent is 7,500 ¥/day, so about 50 €/day. 20 days will come out to about 1,000 €.

Most rentals I am aware of rent either road bikes or gravel bikes. I don't think I have heard of any place renting out touring or trekking bikes.
That's a lot, in fact.
Last time I flew with a bike, it just cost the price of an extra piece of luggage, about 130–160 € both ways (don't remember, it was in 2015). I packaged my bike really well and then kept my fingers and toes crossed. The biggest issue was my wife, she almost wanted to divorce me as carrying the bike box was so heavy and cumbersome. ;)

If you need attachment points on your rental, keep that in mind.
I can really understand your wife's feelings ;-) I will have to think about it. Honestly, I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible. But maybe there's no such simple solution. Thank you and have a nice weekend!

I can really understand your wife's feelings ;-) I will have to think about it.
Back then I just taped together two bike boxes and loaded it with other crap we needed to move from Canada to Germany (and then to Japan). I bought a bike case a year or two ago, so at least my road bike will be easier to deal with. I will need to figure something out for my mountain bike soon, though.
Honestly, I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible. But maybe there's no such simple solution. Thank you and have a nice weekend!
It depends on simpler for whom and simpler at what time/stage. As long as you are aware of all your options, you can make an informed decision. You'll have a great trip either way!

Couple questions. You will be ending your trip in Hiroshima so if you rent or borrow a bike, how would you return it the the rental company or individual you rented/borrowed it from in Tokyo?

Also, how long would you need the bike for?

Depending on your response, I might have a bike you could use.

Couple questions. You will be ending your trip in Hiroshima so if you rent or borrow a bike, how would you return it the the rental company or individual you rented/borrowed it from in Tokyo?
Hey Chuck, thanks for your message. Sorry for not being as precise as I need to be: I wanted to turn back from Hiroshima, but my trip will end in Tokyo as my flight back to Germany will depart from Tokyo. But I know that 17 days are not enough to make the entire trip from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back if I want to stay 3 days in Kyoto for example. So there are 2 possibilities:

1) I take some trains (I read that you can't take your bike in the Shinkansen if you do not de-assemble it, right? But in regional trains, it should be allowed, shouldn't it?)
2) I'll turn back before Hiroshima

But I absolutely need to go back to Tokyo, so don't worry about that!
Also, how long would you need the bike for?

Depending on your response, I might have a bike you could use.
I'll need it from May 7th to May 24th.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Back then I just taped together two bike boxes and loaded it with other crap we needed to move from Canada to Germany (and then to Japan). I bought a bike case a year or two ago, so at least my road bike will be easier to deal with. I will need to figure something out for my mountain bike soon, though.
I took a bike case on a lot of trips with me. My shoulders are crying just by thinking about it :D
So you lived in Germany? Cool. Hope we'll keep in touch!
It depends on simpler for whom and simpler at what time/stage. As long as you are aware of all your options, you can make an informed decision. You'll have a great trip either way!
You are absolutely right. Thanks a lot for your thoughts, mate!

Shinkansen train yes you can take your bike on the shinkansen, just put it in a bag take the front wheel off and then I turn the front of the bike into the side of the bike and you should be just fine. I believe the maximum size is 270 cm so it can't go over that plus if you have a lot of luggage like I did you have to pay reservation price so be aware of that specially if you're in shin Osaka , also if you take the shinkansen make sure you're at the back of the train and make sure you you get the back seat. behind the back seat is divided three seats on one side two seats on the other side make sure you get the three seats behind, your bike will fit behind that and your luggage should be able to fit behind the other two seats on the other side that is how I always done it when I took the shinkansen.

Hey Jean-Marie, welcome and willkommen to the forums!

If you happen to have one/two extra days, the Shimanami Kaido is a pretty nice gentle route (70km main route) that takes you over several little islands. You'd just have to go back for your route, something to think about maybe.

In general I'll be headed the same direction, somewhere around week 2-3 in May (Trans Japan trip). Let's see what's what by then :)

I took a bike case on a lot of trips with me. My shoulders are crying just by thinking about it :D
Yeah, indeed, this is a pain. It is much worse if you have to carry a bike box (the type bikes are delivered in), pack it full of stuff and then have to ride the subway with it. 😅 I'm so not looking forward to our next move.
So you lived in Germany? Cool. Hope we'll keep in touch!
I'm German, so yes :D
My DMs are open if you want to chat and/or have questions.

Stupid question: have you been to Japan before? (You used a few words like ryokan, which indicate at least some familiarity …) If not, we could give you some advice …

Back
Top Bottom