What's new

Internet Shopping Abroad

Fed800

Warming-Up
Jun 13, 2015
Last edited:
Hello Fedor. I don't know about those particular companies. Some web retailers pack decently and some don't.

(I have concluded that the US part of Amazon isn't merely incompetent at packing books, it's malevolent. It wants the books to be damaged, because it thinks that fewer people are likely to complain than to buy their Kindles. And that's one reason why I no longer order anything from them.)

I think you're asking about the Japanese end of the transaction. If you're unlucky you'll be billed 8%. If you're very unlucky the tax office will find higher rates to charge on particular items (notably leather, or maybe just shoes made of leather, I forget); but this is rare. I've not heard of any weight or size restrictions. It's hard to believe that there are any -- I mean, you'd be ordering a bike, not a sofa or a safe.

The Akasaka branch of the chain Y's Road has a 60 cm steel road bike in the window that comes within your budget. People here sometimes complain about Y's Road; I don't think it's the greatest store myself but I think it's more than decent. If you're interested, try to go there when they're not busy.

What is the usual way of 8% fee payment?
Is it easy and convenient procedure for non Japanese speaking/reading guy?

When I have ordered abroad -the delivery guy will have with him the amount.
Depending on his English - you may not get it. But if he is delivering and you see an amount written down... that is probably what you owe him.

You pay him and then he gives you your goods.
Honestly - it is not a hard deal at all. Just have cash ready when you order something.
I get hit with some kind of tax every 10th order or so. I hear some are not as lucky.

Incoming fees can depend on how the package is sent. Usually FEDEX and UPS declare a value on your package before shipment, they pay the fees for you, they deliver the package, and then a few weeks later, you get the customs bill based on 8%of your total payment, including shipment--this is the most expensive route. You can also have things sent by regular mail service such as USPS, UK Royal Mail, and the international EMS--for these customs fees you pay upon receipt--be careful to inspect the box quickly because if it is damaged, you need to declare it at the moment your take receipt. There is a size restriction from many countries, especially those using EMS, and though there is some variation, the maximum box size is usually something like 108 inches (combined longest side plus girth)--about the size of a compact frame box. Some countries, such as Italy, the Ukraine, Germany still have reasonable rates for large box shipping, so no problem for things coming from places like that just as long as you pay the fees (new of course higher than used products). I have bought four or five complete bikes, and maybe 10 or 15 frames--all used, most high enders--the most I have ever paid is Y5,000 in customs fees. The only problem with buying sight unseen is things like fit, size, feel and so forth--what the size and geometry is on paper, and what it is in standing in front of you can sometimes be miles apart.

Import tax is a complex beast, and is not just fixed at 8% or whatever.

The largest single bike related import I am willing to talk about was the previous TCC kit. That was about 700,000yen in a single go, and came it at just over 16% tax. Which stung a bit.

Regarding 8%, you're right of course--in fact, for bicycles, the usual tax bracket is 5%. Fees vary according to type of product (watches at 4%, leather shoes up to 60%, ski boots at 27%, etc.), but back to the OP, paying these fees, whatever they are, are not at all a problem, the delivery person will ask for some money, you pay it, you sign a small receipt, and you get the package.

Here is some custom rules:
http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/tariff.htm#Customs_Tariff_Schedules_of_Japan
But there is some limit at 200.000Y

Anyway, thanks to all.
I have made the order. Let's see.
Here is my choice:
Bergamont Revox 5.4 29" bike size XXL cyan/lime/white/blue (matt) 2014 - 588 Euro
http://www.bergamont.de/en/bikes/archive/2014/revox-54/

I also bought shoes and pedals.
Shipping cost is 29.90 Euro

P.S. This shop asked me additional 60 Euros (full 100 Euros) for delivery and I refused.

Last edited:
So, it happens.
The story:
I bought Bergamon Revox7 http://www.bergamont.de/en/bikes/mtb-hardtail/marathon-race-29/revox-70/
here http://www.profirad.de/
Full amount for bike+shipping is 944.7 Euro
Shipping cost is ~42 Euro
Full amount Japanise customs is 6000 Y:
6.3% fee = 5800Y
+ 200 Y (local redelivery???)

Full paiment was done at 2015.07.01
Today 2015.07.19 I received the bike.
According to DHL track bike was in Germany from 2015.07.06 to 2015.07.13.

I am practically ready to ride near Higashi Koganei!

Last edited:
I will continue the topic.
Now I need a light.
Does Japanise customs like goods from Chinese sites?
www.aliexpress.com
www.dx.com
www.focalprice.com

like batteries, helmets, chargers and so on

Are there some Japanese sites with the same goods for the reasonable comparable price?
I know that Chinese sellers some times are not fast...

Last edited:
In general, anything less than Y20,000 sails through customs, sent from anywhere.

Locally, I would check Rakuten (online) for low prices/good deals on the small stuff--good prices on some tires and tubes, Jagwire and some other cables, bar tape (I use Lizard Skins exclusively these days--much cheaper on Rakuten than from abroad or in the shops)--as long as you know what you are looking for, use the Japanese site (and thus Japanese language), and type in what you are searching for, arrange lowest price first sort, and see what comes up--always a small delivery charge that must be factored in, will arrive in a few days.

And don't forget Amazon.co.jp. Especially if you have paid the annual fee for Premium delivery - things turn up free the next day (or often free without premium but a day or two later) .
With the Yen where it is now and the bike season in full throw in Europe (hence less discounted goods on the Websites), the local Amazon site is usually only a few yen more than them and already has the tax applied (just one example D-A 9000 C50 wheels with at Chain Reaction 181k JPY, Amazon 182k JPY - CR has removed EU VAT to get to that price but you could get hit for 5% Tax on the way in and will wait 8 days for it to arrive).
If japanese language is hard for you then Amazon is still easy to navigate with a second tab openned on your browser with Google Translate. Usually the brand is still in English on Amazon but if your search is more complex than <Brand> <item code> (eg Shimano 9000 C50) then put the rest into Google and then paste it into Amazon search box - bingo!

I import a lot - every week. For cycling clothing I pay a 20-25% import duty - it all depends on the material. For bikes and parts it is usually the standard 8%. Shoes with anything leather - 60% or 4,800 yen, whichever is greater. Insane.

Have a look here at all the tariff schedules - in English: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2015_4/index.htm

Hi guys,

I'm in Japan for about 2 months and I noticed on bike-discount.com that there is no VAT tax for Japan. So I thought that I should take advantage of that and placed an order for about 370 euros. Today I saw on the JP Post tracking that my package is "In Customs". After researching a bit the internet, I realized that my deal was not as good as I thought it would be (had no idea about the Customs Import fees)

A few questions:

1. Do you guys know how long will it sit In Customs?

2. I also have a pair of Five Ten in my order and I was wondering if anyone knows how much will I be charged for. (I don't think they have any leather on them)
http://www.fiveten.com/us/freerider-canvas-dark-grey-khaki

3. Will I be charged separately for each product or will it be an x% of the total order value?

Thanks in advance,
Bogdan

You'll probably pay a few thousand yen. But it won't spend long in customs. You'll have it in a day or so. You may have to pay local shipping depending on who brings it to your door.

Back
Top Bottom