Inspiration - Priceless

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Today I went out for a quick ride with a buddy. Just to shake some of the cobwebs and lactic acid remaining from our GW jaunt in the hills. On the road I passed an elderly guy riding a fixie (trackbike) and PULLING A TIRE!! We finished our sprints then headed back. There he was and we had a short chat with him. Turns out he is 81years old! And has ridden competitive piste bike most his life. His father (or grandfather) had an cycle atelier and he rides a beautiful old Venus lugless. Check out my blog for a short video I snagged from my keitai. Look at his riding form - its awesome. Almost perfect fit on the bike and pedal stroke with full ankle flexing. Oh, and did I say he was pulling a frigging tire!

Phil

Maximum Pace
Thanks for posting that, Tim. Funny coincidence, but I came across a couple of young keirin riders (prob. still in keirin school) on a local bike path two days ago, and they were doing exactly the same thing, dragging a tire along at a steady, slow cadence. Wish I'd had my camera...

(And as another aside, when we lived in Ryogoku we lived next door to the Hakkaku Beya (a sumo stable), and every morning the wrestlers would take breathers out on the street during asa-keiko, or even do some stretching and exercises up and down the street--one of which involved dragging a massive tire around.)

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
My first thought was he must have been a Keirin rider, however he said that in fact he was not - he was a track (piste) rider. He actually had started riding before Keirin was founded. I'm hoping to catch him again soon - and perhaps he'd agree to a small dinner or lunch. I'm sure he has a 1000 stories!