What's new

Help Indoor training with Garmin 810 & Minoura 760

xDOMx

Maximum Pace
Nov 21, 2014
Given the terrible weather and the fact that, really, I should start training indoors every once in a while, I am thinking of buying a used Minoura 760 trainer.

This trainer is Ant+ compatible and the question I have may be a daft one but, here goes...

I have a Garmin 810 and the package came with a speed/cadence sensor and a HR monitor (I bought the package a year or so pack so it isn't the most recent package 'deal').

They communicate to the 810 unit with no issues and it picks them up automatically every time I ride.

In order to link things to my laptop I know I need an Ant+ dongle.

However, it isn't clear to me whether the Garmin 810 package speed/cadence and HR monitors are Ant+ compatible and if I will need to buy a different speed/cadence sensor (such as the one that is Ant+ which comes with the most recent 810 package).

Can anyone give any guidance on this point?

Thinking @Deej , @wexford and other advocates of indoor training who use Trainerroad etc.

In order to link things to my laptop I know I need an Ant+ dongle.

However, it isn't clear to me whether the Garmin 810 package speed/cadence and HR monitors are Ant+ compatible and if I will need to buy a different speed/cadence sensor (such as the one that is Ant+ which comes with the most recent 810 package).
They are ANT+ sensors (evidence), so with a dongle you will be good to go.

I have this dongle and it works flawlessly.

Out of interest, can anyone recommend an alternative (cheaper) Ant+ dongle?

@xDOMx, just to give you further options, you can also use a Wahoo key, which plugs into iPhones and iPads, enabling you to run TrainerRoad from those devices. Handy, perhaps, if you're traveling or, like was once the case with me, don't want to haul a desktop computer from room to room to avoid the wrath of a wife who doesn't approve of living-room sweat-fests.

Also handy if your Norwegian forest cat chews through your computer's power cable, leaving it with no juice.

Now that I have a MacBook Air, though, I usually just use that and the dongle.

Newer models of iOS devices require an adapter.

Here's some additional Wahoo info from DC Rainmaker.

@TCC slick.

@Deej that would do the same job as the ones suggested above but give more options right (smartphone, etc)?

I predominantly use MacBook Pro.

Nah, mate. It's only for smartphones. iPhones, old ones.

Get a USB2 one. It could be worth getting one from overseas as they seem to be fairly pricey here and with limited options in terms of companies selling them in Japan.

Nah, mate. It's only for smartphones. iPhones, old ones.

Get a USB2 one. It could be worth getting one from overseas as they seem to be fairly pricey here and with limited options in terms of companies selling them in Japan.

Think that Suunto one is okay then and not so pricey...

Yeah, like @Musashi13 said, the Wahoo thingy is only for iPhones and iPads. Paired with the adapter I linked to, it's been a good supplemental tool alongside the dongle (who comes up with these words?).

Yeah, like @Musashi13 said, the Wahoo thingy is only for iPhones and iPads. Paired with the adapter I linked to, it's been a good supplemental tool alongside the dongle (who comes up with these words?).

Dongle is certainly an odd word...

I have both the Sunnto Movestick and also the other one ("BC-ANT-USB") that @Musashi13 has. I bought the movestick first and it works perfectly for Trainerroad - never a single issue with it on my Mac* even when the laptop has been 3m+ away from my KICKR. Until I downloaded Zwift....
Seems Zwift weren't/aren't quite getting the most out of the ANT+ sticks in the same way Trainerroad is.

Lots of posts on the Zwift board a few months ago about drop outs with the Suunto Movestick and Zwift even posted about it not being recommended**. Hence after I was getting drop out problems with Zwift, I bought the BC-ANT-USB. To be honest I didn't find much difference between them initially - both dropped out on Zwift until I bought a USB extension cable to get the stick within 1m of the KICKR (as recommended by Zwift - that sort of annoyed me - what's the point of wireless if you've got an additional wire coming out of your computer!!?!) . One thing I did find is that BC-ANT-USB seems to work more reliably with the USB extension cable so I've been using that when I use Zwift.

Anyway conclusion is that both sticks are good but not perfect with Zwift. The BC-ANT-USB no longer seems available as Musashi said, but I suspect it is a cheap knock-off of the original Cyclops one. If you buy the Suunto Movestick you will be forever happy with it in Trainerroad. Zwift hasn't finished developing yet, so hopefully they will get to the same level of performance with ANT+ sticks that Trainerroad has. If Zwift is really important to you now, go with the one Mike has.

One thing to note on all of these things is if you have Garmin Express, Suunto Movescount, Garmin ANT Agent or anything similar running in the background, SHUT IT DOWN - it messes up the ANT+ sticks causing all kinds of issues

* It also is so small it can permanently stay in the USB port
** since the last big release that advice has been removed from the Zwift FAQ so i think they may have realised its not so much that stick as their software

Last edited:
Good advice @macrophotofly
Each application will have its own directions on usage, they are all pretty well established and so most of the issues are well documented and easily found on t'interweb.
Many problems throw themselves at you once you've made your purchase and hopped on your rig ready to sweat all over your floor.
Many of us have been through it so should be able to help.

I just did an hour on my bottom of the range Elite trainer. Was bleak.

One good thing about sitting on a turbo is you can get your bike totally dialled; get the handle bars perfectly in line with front wheel, tweak the seat height etc, get your cleats perfectly inline, and really have a very close listen to the gears to get them perfectly tuned. Can't do that when you are on the road as well.

Staring into the void for an hour, listening to MC Terminator, trying to make my thighs and heart explode is lol.

Anyway, back on topic please, me.

Suunto Movestick mini bought on Amazon and Minoura 760 trainer (second hand from the chaps at Neil Pryde) are both winging their way to me as we speak.

Should be here in the next few days and, to be honest, this is a relief with the potential for the weather to stay moody as f**k next week.

What weather report are you looking at that says rain next week?

Back
Top Bottom