Did a 20 minute TT tonight:

• Time: 20:00
  • HR: 165 AV / 174 MAX
  • Dist: 19.1 km
  • Speed: 57.6 AV / 63.5 MAX
  • Cadence: 105 AV / 112 MAX
  • Gear: 53 x 12
  • Bike: VITUS

Tonight was my first attempt at a 20 minute TT. My only experience of TTs are hillclimbs like Tsugaike. I made the mistake of trying to go too hard too soon and trying to keep at 60kmph. After a couple of minutes I eased off as I wanted to keep my HR below threshold (170HR). I went into the red for the last minute only.

Next time, I'll try to hold today's average speed for the first 15 minutes and try to go hard for the last 5.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Andy, I been instructed to do my failure testing this week by the team coach... Same guy who will do the TCC training camp. So I will have to hold off a week before I can attempts this as Im going to be dead after this.

Basically start off at 200w and then every two minutes increase power by 20watts. Keep going until faiure.

If anyone is interested - checkout Opensprints.org It's an opensource project for software and hardware to implement 'Goldsprints' which is mano e mano racing via real-time connection (sensors on rollers and internet). I've ordered one of the sensor / interface kits and will be installing this soon as it arrives.

I will finally get my hands on rollers in February. Should be fun. Finally a method to get rolling in 2011.

On another note have never felt the cold so much and with a cold for weeks now not been able to train at all..

I will do a cut-off test on the 4th. Don't have any expectations towards those results. Haven't felt this slow in ages.

If anyone is interested - checkout Opensprints.org It's an opensource project for software and hardware to implement 'Goldsprints' which is mano e mano racing via real-time connection (sensors on rollers and internet). I've ordered one of the sensor / interface kits and will be installing this soon as it arrives.

Half the price of the Tacx....will go with the Tacx.

@James - really? Tacx w/multi-user seems to be around 125,000yen... Opensprints sensor kit is only 15,000 yen - thereabouts.. I'd so dig a Tacx - but intrigued by the OPensprints, and of course , way to integrate OpenCV or some other visual shader...maybe even a 'massive' add-on that would let you race with a full peloton of wildebeast orgres from the middle earth.

I've been meaning to get around to this for a while because i've got some experience at roller racing (goldsprints).
I did 27.98km in 30 mins using 53x12t.

• Time: 20:00
  • HR: 170 AV / 181 MAX
  • Dist: 19.3 km
  • Speed: 57.9 AV / 64.5 MAX
  • Cadence: 107 AV / 119 MAX
  • Gear: 53 × 12
  • Bike: VITUS

Today I had my second go at a 20 minute TT on the rollers. I was targeting my average speed of the first effort in January.

This time my strategy was to hold 57/58kmph for the first 17 minutes and go full gas for the last 3.

From the start I was happy to see my heart rate rise gradually to lactate threshold 170HR. It's hard to ride at this level but not unbearable. "Here we go!"

For the last 3 minutes I pushed up the speed and kept it above 60kmph for the duration. Today's speed was a slight improvement on last time. Next time I'll put in a hard effort for the last 5 minutes and see what I can do....

Andy

Question: are rollers good for doing cycling workout videos? It seems like it would be hard to watch a video while keeping the bike on the rollers, especially while doing the interval or max effort stages.

I do sufferfest video work outs on my rollers.

Actually having something in front of you to watch improves the balance.

Trainer recommendations?

Reading all the posts about rollers/turbo trainers has got me tempted, especially with the weather being sketchy the past few weekends. Living in an apartment, I think that rollers could be a tad noisy, especially if I'm out on the balcony.

As for turbo trainers, are they quick to get up-and-running on? Does anyone have any particular recommendations - or better still, an unwanted set, they'd be willing to unload (for a fair price of course ;) ?

Today's TT:

* HR: 164 AV / 180 MAX
* Dist: 20.1 km
* Speed: 60.5 AV / 66.6 MAX
* Cadence: 112 AV / 122 MAX
* Gear: 53 × 12
* Bike: VITUS

Today I had my third go at a 20 minute time trial on the rollers. This time my goal was to beat February's average speed over the duration.

My strategy this time was to:

• Hold 60 kmph for the fist 17 minutes while keeping my heart rate below 170
  • Go full gas for the last 3 minutes

I tried a similar strategy in January but decided to back off a little as I felt I was going to blow up. This time I could hold 60kmph relatively easily so I was happy about that. My heart rate stayed in the 160~170HR range for the 17 minute duration.

For the last 3 minutes I upped the speed to 63 kmph and held it there. At this speed cadence rose to above 120 and the bike felt like it was ready to jump off the rollers at times. It would be nice to have a try using a larger 53 × 11 gear.

There's still lots of snow out there, so no chance to do time checks on my favorite climbs. The 20 minute TT offers a nice alternative for monitoring progress. I feel like I'm coming on steadily from January through to March. What's more, I'm really getting into these TTs so I'd like to have a try at some TT racing this year if I get the chance.

I'll do my best!

Andy

Today I did a 20 minute TT on the rollers. It was the first one I'd done since March

Heavy rain forced me onto the rollers today. Recently I've noticed that I can seemingly go faster with less effort. I wasn't planning on doing the TT today. I was aiming to do ten minute intervals at increased speed and see where I got.

I did 10 minutes at 52 kmph, 55 kmph and then 58kmph. I was feeling really comfortable on the bike and thought I'd have a go at holding 62 kmph for 20 minutes.

I started out well but as the session progressed I kept losing the back end of the bike a bit. At this time of year I put lots of oil on the chain to compensate for loss of oil in wet riding conditions. This is not a good idea for the rollers though and the back 2 drums became increasingly slippery. I wasted a lot of time, effort and most importantly speed in trying to keep the bike stable. I was confident I could beat March's effort though, so I kept going.

I averaged 61.5kmph (60.5 kmph in March) which is quite satisfying. The average heart rate was also lower at 160 HR (165 HR in March).

With the chain cleaned properly I'm confident I can average about 63 kmph next time, Looking forward to it!

Today's TT
* HR: 160 AV / 169 MAX
* Dist: 20.5 km
* Speed: 61.5 AV
* Cadence: 112 AV
* Gear: 53 × 12
* Bike: VITUS

Andy

Back
Top Bottom