What's new

Indoor Time Trials

How about we get this going online first and then some time possibly have a real outdoor get together taikai somewhere around the end of January?

This is a good format for a BBQ as well in Spring.

I haven't ridden much at all since August and need to do some serious training or I'm going to turn into the Michelin man.
I intend to publish some very weak and slow times at first so I can improve on them easily and hopefully peak with this around mid January.

I propose 2 categories with 4 races.

sanpon roller:

minoura-action-mag-roller-1.jpg

warm ups are allowed but not to be included in the 30 minute interval.
1) 30 minutes. How many kilometers can you clock up in 30 minutes. (any gear selection)
2) 60 minutes. How many kilometers can you clock up in 60 minutes. (any gear selection).

Traditional trainer:
Maybe harder to judge fairness due to the resistance settings.
Please discuss a fair way of doing it....

09102b.jpg

1) 30 minutes. ?
2) 60 minutes. ?

If possible post any heart hard evidence such as a Polar or Garmin graph showing the results. (or just whatever your cateye said...is fine.
Would be good to post at least once a week too...

Any ideas?

This sounds like a great idea.... do it online that way everyone can participate. I've spent the last 3 days on the rollers doing sprint training and also some one footed training to perfect my pedal technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdVYTuG8TLM

Im actually doing the speed play training on the Garmin 705 here which is why the alarm keeps going off. Also I found that riding at very low speed on rollers really really improves pedal technique!

Edogawakikkoman, maybe go for the classics is a good idea rather than time as alot of that race do so over a specific distance rather than endurance style:

10 mile TT (16km)
15 mile TT (24km)
25 mile TT (40km)
50 Mile TT (80km)

The New Year got me on the roller finally today.
Will probably take me another 2 weeks to get fit again...
I was getting cramps in my calves possibly from the cold and not warming up properly...as well as almost not riding at all in December... :eek:
I hate warming up on the roller as it affects the overall average...

55.06 minutes
30.94km distance
33.7kph average
Max speed 53km

Will put the heart rate monitor on as well from now on....

I hope to do this every day I don't ride outside...

Will have a go at a TT in about a week from now to get a starting point to work from....

Ok ...after the Ekiden ride I will take a shot at your times... were you using any resistance settings?

Ok ...after the Ekiden ride I will take a shot at your times... were you using any resistance settings?

The only resistance tonight was flat tires, fat body, lack of fitness
and changing the gears up and down....to make it easier or harder...

No resistance on my roller... I took it off...

Couldn't be arsed to take the resistor off but set to zero.
3 minute warm up on the rollers
Power Breathe warm up set at resistance 1, 30x2 breaths.

48:22.42 minutes
30.94km distance
38.4kph average
Max speed 82.7kph (final 0.94km... second highest speed durring ride 67.3kph)
172bpm average
192bpm max
1795calories

Nice max there... I get too unstable at about 68kph...

I'll have a crack tonight and see what figures I come up with...

Have 230km under the belt since my last attempt so should be able to improve a bit.

I just did a Hitachinaka 30km simulation ride on the roller.

Distance: 30.32 km (last 320m is past the goal).
Time: 00:41:28 Avg Speed: 43.9 km/h Max Speed: 65.8 km/h
Heart Rate:Avg HR: 160 bpm Max HR: 181 bpm
Calories: 2,232 C

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21911714

Got my son to video the 24km mark as well as the last 1.5km and may put it up on youtube and pretend it is Robbie McEwen with a beer gut. (had my green PMU jersey on).
Put the youtube clip on my blog http://mcentyre.com/McBlogg/2010/01/08/hitachinaka-simulation-training/

Bloody excellent time there!

Going to have to remove the resistor from the rollers now! :D

To keep the bike stable at very high speeds on the rollers I do a lot of very low speed pedal stroke training about 10 minutes a day..... at speeds around 6kph you need to really focus on smooth perfect circles to keep the bike steady and smooth.

After a few weeks of doing this your pedal stroke will improve and the bike will be more steady at higher speeds as you're not box pedaling

I will get Tsukino to video the final 1km sprint for you.

I've posted the results so far in the Race subsection of the forums.... hopefully it will encourage others to start racing them.

:eek:

I'll have a crack at that record next Friday afternoon...

May need to do it by intervals... 50 & 55 with a big burst at the end....

Was feeling fresh as I went over the 30km mark and if I hadn't been looking after the kids today would have gone for the 50km in under 1 hour.

Just reread this thread with great interest. What a difference a year makes. Last year I was championing the stationary trainer but after trying rollers this winter, I don't imagine I'll use the trainer again. Cheers Mike!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing the indoor TTs again? Maybe over a standardised format. Ex: 30 min all out effort. Quite fancy having the motivation do do one of those once a week through the winter.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Well you can count on me mate! I have to do my 20 - 30 minute peak testing soon and also maybe the 1 hour as well.

Back
Top Bottom