What's new

Race Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Pretty mental race this one.

Day 2 and the leader's have already done...760km with lots of daylight left....

track progress live

The Indian Pacific Wheel Race is a solo, single-stage, unsupported, 5,500km road cycling race ocean-to-ocean across Australia. The course is 100% sealed. The race starts on 18 March 2017 at 6:00am in Fremantle, Western Australia and finishes at the Sydney Opera House whenever you get there. The clock does not stop. There is no prize money. Nothing is at stake except honour.

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

2nd place getter hit and killed by car this morning...

Race abandoned.

Heart breaking...

Few stories of numerous near misses on the blogs facebook etc. Not sure having mentally and physically exhausted racers riding alongside vehicles travelling at over 100kmph is the safest scenario. Really sad to read this

I was thinking they should have had 2 or 3 at least compulsory 24 hour stoppages at some vital major towns.... The closer you get to Sydney the more aggro the motorists.

I was thinking they should have had 2 or 3 at least compulsory 24 hour stoppages at some vital major towns.... The closer you get to Sydney the more aggro the motorists.
Absolutely no reason they couldn't have, clock stops for 24 hours at a city line and you have to recross the same line 24 hours later. There was a Japanese Randonuer killed in NZ last week at 5:20 in the morning during a 1200km event. Whatever the cause open roads are dangerous when traffic is travelling at 100kph +. RIP.

There are a lot of dickheads in Australia. But also a lot of the country roads are not that widely used and don't have large shoulders to ride on. Speeds are of course fairly high due to the remote nature of much of the country. We don't know what happened in this case, it is terrible to hear though I had been following the race and this is a terrible way to see it end.

Back
Top Bottom