What's new

Tech Indexing issues

Last ditch effort... Put my 11s stuff back on the Surly. It didn't work either. Indexing was impossible to set. Wouldn't move beyond the 8th cog. So, no point to buy a new 11s RD for the Surly. Must be the hanger unless there is something obvious I'm overlooking. Weird that it worked fine recently with the 9s.

Are the mechs at Ys Road any good?

Last ditch effort... Put my 11s stuff back on the Surly. It didn't work either. Indexing was impossible to set. Wouldn't move beyond the 8th cog.
You tested the 11s cassette with an 11s RD and an 11s shifter, right? Cause anything else wouldn't make sense because of incompatibility between 9s and 11s Shimano parts.

You tested the 11s cassette with an 11s RD and an 11s shifter, right? Cause anything else wouldn't make sense because of incompatibility between 9s and 11s Shimano parts.
Yes. 11s shifter, chain, cassette.

Replaced the cable liners in case the cable was getting hung up somewhere.

Took off the rack, just in case it was putting torque on the frame. Nope.

Removed the crank and moved the spacers so the drive side crank was closer to the BB. No difference.

Just about has to be the hanger. It's the only thing left. Maybe I should just turn it into a single speed and be done with it.

(Put the 11s back on my Outback, indexed it in 2 minutes, no problem.)

It's been so long since I've had to think about this so had to look it up.

2CC2A868-F2A8-4858-BC93-5E638762B594.png

All the rims I'm using on the Surly are Shimano. So far, my method of deciding whether it needs a spacer or not is to put the cassette on, tighten it down, and if I can wiggle the cassette, I know I need a spacer. I must have 4 or 5 different spacers now, but have no idea which one would be a 10 or 11 speed spacer or a "Mavic spacer" (from the one set of Mavic rims I have). I would imagine that as long as the cassette doesn't have any play in it, any difference in spacer width would only amount to something like 1 or 2 mm max. I wouldn't think that would result in the issues I'm having.

(BTW... Thanks to everyone for their ideas. Been trying all of them...usually twice. Gotta be something I'm overlooking. Probably something obvious and simple, but...)

Put new cable in. Put a little extra length in the housing going to the RD to make sure no sharp angle.

Back
Top Bottom