What's new

Tech Increased torque crankset

Roger

Crazy cyclist with too many bikes...
Dec 9, 2019
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the TCC - based in France but passing through Tokyo on 25 December. I work with a French company called MG Tech and we have a revolutionary new crankset that increases torque, increases power output by 10% and makes starting up in a 53 feel like you're starting in a 50... on an e-bike.

Here's the link to the company and the technology: https://www.mgtechbikes.fr/en/home

I'd love to talk to folks about bringing this to the Japanese market - and also get a TCC jersey for myself and my girlfriend when we come through (we're going on a cycling trip from Auckland to Invercargill).

With it's long history of cycling and technology, lease let me know if you think this is something peeople in Japan would be interested in.

Arigatōgozaimashita

I'm intrigued, but sadly won't be here at that time.

Can you share any info about how this works? I get the increase in torque, but where does the increase in power come from? Sounds almost like witchcraft ;)

Power is delivered by the rider. ie. how much power is put into the pedals (or wherever you measure it).

So the claim should be " a 10% more efficient drive train" ?

The "test" as outlined on the website seems quite subjective too.

But I would be willing to test it.

ie. test standard cranks vs. these cranks, and using a rear wheel hub power tap, test how much faster this set up is for the same output in watts measured at the wheel.

Andy

Hey folks - sorry, been travelling and currently in cold Vienna... with a cold.

It would have been moire accurate to say 10% increase in performance, not power. Now it all makes sense.

I admit, the idea sounds a bit odd, but I've been riding them and having a blast. I'm much more of a spinner on the climbs, but I can still get up 13% in the 53-23/25 combo using this. The chainrings are admittedly much smaller (I'm riding a 37/23 or 24 in the front) due to the 1.44x turn ratio (every revolution of the crankarms equals a 1.44 revolution of the chainrings), so you spin up like you're riding a compact, but can still crank away like you're riding a 53, 54, 55 on the flats and downhills (happy to send a video of this black magic). Even when I was out of shape after an injury I was still able to hang with friends at 50km/h in a breakway pack, so imagine what this could do for Kirin racing.

We've also tested it on a Giant e-bike and found a 25% increase in battery range.

I've let several friends, especially triathletes and former TDF racers try it. They all agree it gives a great kick and is nothing like oval or ossymetric rings they've tried before since the pedal stroke is still smooth and round. A few of them both love it and hate it since they consider it mechanical doping, but there are no springs, there is not outside pressure helping out, there are no batteries... it's technological evolution in our opinion. The same as swicthing to carbon wheels or ceramic bearings or, dare I say it... derailleurs!

I can bring it with me and it takes just a minute to change out if you have a BB30. We won't have much time to test, but a bit, I hope. Only things to keep in mind: You'll have chain slack due to the smaller chainrings (Or i can try to bring a spare 10sp chain with a wipperman connex connector) and your front derailleur will be too high to test it properly - we tend to cut the FD since it will sit lower on the seat tube and the tail end will hit the drive side chainstay. Otherwise a triple FD works in a pinch!

Just let me know if I should pack it :)

rog-

Back
Top Bottom