What's new

In Tokyo for c. 6 weeks

Ing.

Cruising
Jun 19, 2015
Hi guys, thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a cyclist/triathlete who sadly has to work for a living.... and that is bringing me to Tokyo for probably around 6 weeks. Will be looking to get out and ride some miles at the weekend as it's only about 12 weeks until I race Ironman.

Will also be on the lookout for a turbo trainer in order to squeeze in some hard efforts in the hotel before I go to work, so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Anyways I'll be on the lookout for the Ride threads - think I should arrive in about a week's time, hopefully meet some folks soon! I am okay on a bike, but have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Japan, so might need pointing in the right direction at first ;)

Cheers,

Dan

Alright.

Come and join in the shredding when you arrive.

Couple of quick questions...

1) I should arrive Thurs or Fri depending on my flights. I am guessing I'll need one of the train bags for my bike for a ride on Saturday - is there anywhere I can pick one of these up in person so I know I have it? I don't know what hotel I will be in yet so can't start thinking about delivery.

2) I am likely to be wanting to set up a turbo trainer in my hotel room - am I likely to meet much opposition to this? I've done it in the UK no problems provided you put a mat down, but don't want to offend any sensibilities here! Last visit I got into trouble for wearing a garmin at the pool! :oops:

1. Depends on the ride. Lots of us ride out and back. You don't necessarily need a bike bag. If you do, then there are some options; Fairmean if you want an expensive fiddly one that packs down light. Pandani if you want a less expensive light one that packs down small, with kawaii stuff printed all over it. Tioga if you want a standard one that is cheaper still but doesn't pack super small.

2. Depends how well your hotel is built; if it is reinforced concrete, including the floors, then you will get away with it. If not, and it is a standard Japanese building, ie., made of wood and about as soundproof as nothing at all, then no, you won't.

Go outside and train in the mornings. It is the perfect season for it now.

Yeah get a hotel near arakawa river and you are good to go anytime day or night. Also good to meet up with the weekend rides heading up river into the hills north west of Tokyo

Cool well I'm booked in at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay which is close to the river and transport for the work I need to do. Seems pretty easy for Tokyo central stn too if that's a plus for weekend escapes?

I'm bringing the road bike, but can't get my turbo into the box - looks like I can get wiggle.co.uk to deliver to Japan though so will likely buy a cheap trainer - I tend to have some structured intervals and similar to do that I don't do in London traffic so think that's a decent solution. That said, the more miles I can get in the better :) Looking forward to it.

You are right on the bay. You can choose between the Arakawa and the Edogawa. No need for a turbo trainer with these two literally on your doorstep. You will not have to train in traffic. These are car free riverside wide paths perfect for training.

Thanks - I booked it after reading here to go near Arakawa. All going according to plan I arrive Thursday, so maybe see you Saturday? :)

Cool yeah. Should be some rides posted up by Thursday / Friday.

Hi, I am in Tokyo for the next 2 weeks. Have my bike and desperate to ride mid-week and this weekend.

I am at the Conrad in Shiodome and don't know the area at all, so also looking for a guide to rise start points if possible?

Thanks all

I'm here! :)

Anybody want to show me some good riding tomorrow?? :D

Does that stop most people? Ideally I'd be doing 120-140km tomorrow. Can head up the Arakawa to the Spaceship (worked that much out on a map at least) - alternatively if I can pick up a rinko bukuro from somewhere central today I'm guessing I could jump on a train out of Tokyo headed West? Andrew I'd be happy to meet up and do that if you are interested...

Can't speak for everyone, but I don't ride in the rain if I can help it.

@Ing. I would definitely pick up a train bag if I were you, otherwise your 120-140km ride will mean you ride out of Tokyo, towards the mountains but then turn around just before getting to them, for the ride home. You'd be missing the fun part. We might be heading out tomorrow morning from the spaceship but it depends how much rain there is. If it is lashing down then I don't think we'll bother but if it's occasional showers then hopefully we'll be doing something.

Back
Top Bottom