What's new

In the news...

I used tannus tires on my Brompton for a couple of weeks a few years back. It was a terrible experience. Riding was like trying to pedal through an atmosphere made of treacle.

I'm not quite at his level yet, but am fast approaching I'm afraid. the way things are going, I think I might have to resort to stealing soon too haha
Sorry, but I actually thought of you when I first saw this story! (Not meant to be in a bad way, I was just reminded of how hard you had worked to find a good saddle!)

yes, and I've learned a lot. true, some saddles were to wide for me, and would rub against my inner thighs etc, some were too flat or protruding and would cause numbness, some channels or cutouts would hit me in all the wrong places. BUT it is also often the case when saddle discomfort has little to do with the actual saddle, and everything to do with the overall bike fit. cleat positioning, crank length, saddle height, handlebar reach etc etc all bear heavily on one's body-weight distribution on the bike as a whole, and should be dealt with first, before taking it out on the saddle as a last resort

That's frightening. I really appreciate you detailing this kind of information because I would never learn about it otherwise. I really love that added insight and appreciate you sharing it.

That's why you need to wear a mask and eye wear. This is serious business.
Just got this in from the Embassy also.

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Tokyo (April 8, 2020)

Date: April 8, 2020

State of Emergency in Japan

On April 7, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declared a state of emergency regarding COVID-19 for seven prefectures – Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, Osaka, Hyogo and Fukuoka – for a period of one month until May 6. The prime minister outlined measures such as teleworking, social distancing, and e-learning to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, and he asked people to avoid closed spaces, crowded places, and close-contact settings. He said that public transportation, to include domestic aviation and rail services, will continue to operate and that supermarkets, drugstores, banks, hospitals, and other critical infrastructure will remain open and operational. The full text of the prime minister's address on the emergency declaration, made under Article 32 of Japan's special measures act for "Pandemic Influenza and New Infectious Diseases Preparedness and Response," will be posted in English on the Kantei's website.

Prefectural governments are expected to announce specific protective measures under the emergency declaration in the coming days. Please continue to monitor local media outlets and Japanese government announcements for up-to-date information on protective measures being taken in the area where you reside. Tokyo's Governor Yuriko Koike said she would announce measures for Tokyo on April 10. Below are sources of local COVID-19 information in English:

· Tokyo Metropolitan Government

· Chiba Prefecture

· Osaka Prefecture

· Kobe City

· Fukuoka Prefecture

· Okinawa Prefecture

I ran into an old cycling (commuting) buddy and we rode down Arakawa together for a while, keeping about 1.5 to 2 m distance, but abreast. so it's good to see this only applies to riding in the slipstream and not next to each other!

I ran into an old cycling (commuting) buddy and we rode down Arakawa together for a while, keeping about 1.5 to 2 m distance, but abreast. so it's good to see this only applies to riding in the slipstream and not next to each other!

Given the current windy conditions, I'd be careful with riding abreast, too. I guess it's solo rides for the time being. :(

Pretty good police work here to catch a hit and run killer (30 minute story)

Watched that. The driver's lawyers claimed he didn't realize he hit the cyclist because he suffered from sleep apnea and must have had a micro-sleep at that time. This, after he replaced the damaged headlight that must have been blood stained. He was given a 3 year sentence and was out after 13 months. :mad:

@jdd I'd imagine in the US (for vast majority of its territory) one is more likely to encounter a wild bear or some such than COVID. also, what do they mean by public transport... in the US???

@jdd I'd imagine in the US (for vast majority of its territory) one is more likely to encounter a wild bear or some such than COVID. also, what do they mean by public transport... in the US???
My uni town had a decent bus system (for the time, champaign-urbana), but I used a bike almost exclusively. The most dangerous creatures--and they were scary--were farm dogs when riding outside of town. Good for an adrenalin boost.

Last edited:
and this was on
it was just on tv today about joggers and cyclist how dangerous we are about spreading the virus.
if it's on TV I'm usually sceptical Studies by aeronautical engineers... about epidemiology and virology.... nah.
has some science in it's assertion that those stories from last week are more puff than huff.

A mate sent me this, which I found interesting and thought others would, too.
https://digg.com/video/dangerous-intersection-cyclist-angle

SPEED BUMPS SPEED BUMPS SPEED BUMPS like they use in trailer parks.
I run into this quite often. Being one who's had 2 scooters recently, I've trained myself to just say this " they are not seeing you" because they are not paying attention to their driving skills which they have developed bad habits of not paying attention.

I 'm quite sure of one thing, but I won't say. It has to do with "pay attention you stupdid fkhead". Didn't want it done to you, tough shit, next time you'll respect us cyclist more. Of course, it won't happen, but drivers just don't give a flying fk in most cases of cutting us off.

Thanks for posting the link.
Not sure how many of you are actually retired from working, but as for me, my transportation is 100% by bicycle unless the wife is driving somewhere and I tag along.

Back
Top Bottom