What's new

In the news...

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Looks pretty normal to me. But why would LeBron James run such small rotors and such a small cassette? The cranks look a little short, too. And is that a 28-tooth chain ring? :p

That reminds me, when I was in high school, I saw an original customs basketball shoe from Shaquille O'Neill. The father of my then-gf gifted it to one of her brothers. We called it child's coffin. 🤯

Kangaeroo

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2018
English cyclist Matt Walls flies into velodrome crowd at Comm Games.
Fortunately, he appears to be all right, but he was flying.

Elzico2012

Maximum Pace
Jan 29, 2014
You could also tell that the Dutch team was not well-coordinated, basically each of them could have gotten a medal and nobody really wanted to sacrifice themselves for the team (as would be standard operating procedure in UCI events). The medal doesn’t go to a team, but an individual, so the lack of team radios makes a lot of sense to me.

Her PhD supervisor actually gave a talk at a workshop I organized shortly after. Her supervisor is a character, an amazing researcher and all-around classy individual. Because of Covid-related travel restrictions, the workshop was virtual. I wish I could have met her in person. I asked her what she feeds her PhD students … :flip:
Was your workshop about Mathematics ?
When I see the thema of Kiesenhofer's research, an other world and dimension for me, I guess you and Kiesenhofer are part of a restricted elite world. You might meet her someday.
(I loved mathematics but stopped during university to focus on Earth Sciences)

Is she still cycling ? I could not find any information on her having a team and competing now.

As for the race, all teams were waiting for the Dutch to chase hard, as often with the women event, and the Dutch team was late to put the gas on. As you mentioned, as everyone could get a medal, nobody wanted to sacrifice. I thought at that time they were forecasting Kiesenhofer to loose her momentum. The Dutch cyclists were often back to the team car, and it should not have been any communication issues. Regarding the time gap, it was a blackboard, and the DS could have access to the TV broadcast in English. It was a team failure from the Dutch and and impressive race and achievement from Kiesenhofer.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Was your workshop about Mathematics ?
Yes, about a topic in mathematical physics. Her research is on a sophistication of classical mechanics, i. e. the laws of motion first discovered by Newton. (This is a simplification, of course.) I’m a professor of mathematics, but I’m somewhere in between theoretical physics and mathematics.
When I see the thema of Kiesenhofer's research, an other world and dimension for me, I guess you and Kiesenhofer are part of a restricted elite world. You might meet her someday.
(I loved mathematics but stopped during university to focus on Earth Sciences)
She was on the short list of people to be invited, but didn’t make the cut. I (re-)discovered that after the Olympics. So if the workshop had been held in person and she had been invited, I might have met her in person actually. :)
Is she still cycling ? I could not find any information on her having a team and competing now.
I think so. She competed in the Austrian championships and got two second places (road race and TT), and a first place in the hill climb championships. She doesn’t seem to be with a pro team as far as I can tell, which is surprising. At least I couldn’t find anything on her homepage or on wikipedia. I would have expected that she had gotten some offers after the Olympics.

Also, I would have expected that she had asked the Austrian government for a permanent job at a university. (This is a common strategy for the government to support/sponsor top-class athletes. Several of my 2nd degree cousins work for the German Federal Police (the border guard division), because they had been in the German youth development team for cross country skiing.)
As for the race, all teams were waiting for the Dutch to chase hard, as often with the women event, and the Dutch team was late to put the gas on. As you mentioned, as everyone could get a medal, nobody wanted to sacrifice. I thought at that time they were forecasting Kiesenhofer to loose her momentum. The Dutch cyclists were often back to the team car, and it should not have been any communication issues. Regarding the time gap, it was a blackboard, and the DS could have access to the TV broadcast in English. It was a team failure from the Dutch and and impressive race and achievement from Kiesenhofer.
Totally agree.
The Dutch team might have fared better by excluding one of the alphas and bring one or two proper domestiques instead who’d then work for van Vleuten and Vos. Ditto for keeping track of the riders. I’m really surprised by the whining afterwards. I feel quite strongly that if you give medals to individuals, then you should also adopt rules that make it an individual rather than a team event. (Still, big, strong teams do have a big advantage.)

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
1660606179888.png

Top Bottom