What's new

Imperial Palace Laps tonight!

jcollin3k

Warming-Up
Jun 27, 2007
The past few weeks I've been doing 3-4 laps around the Imperial Palace. My regular riding partner hasn't been able to make it lately.

I'm going out tonight around 10:45pm. Would anyone like to join? I average about only 17 mph ( 27 km/hr) over the 3/4 laps.

Jason

Japan Cycling Rides Blog

jason- how many miles is it around the palace. What is the road surface like? Can you do this ride on the weekend or is it too crowded? Thanks

jason- how many miles is it around the palace. What is the road surface like? Can you do this ride on the weekend or is it too crowded? Thanks

dsheehan -- it's 5 kilometers (3.106856 miles) around the palace loop. The road is in good condition all around. No potholes or anything like that. Just a couple manholes whose locations can be easily memorized (I don't like to ride over manholes, or walk on them).

I have not really ridden the palace loop on a weekend, so I can't say, but I would guess it is more crowded. I like to ride the loop at night because there is less car traffic. Even on weekdays (daytime) the extra car traffic will likely add a few minutes to your total time.

You can check the stats on all my palalce rides since March 2008 at this link:

http://jasoncollin.org/tag/imperial-palace/

Jason

Thanks Jason. great job on the time drops. I do not like dodging cars so I will look to go south of shinagawa and get into some more remote areas (if they exist). BTW what bike shop do you use? I had a recommendation on Y's road. Any recommednations are appreciated.

Victoria

For on actual roads, I think the only place you are likely to not have to dodge a constant stream of cars would be maybe Odaiba area. There are not many there and the roads are huge and long. The only true car-free area that I know is the Arakawa bike road. I don't count Futakotamagawa because there are so many people and other obstructions on the bike lane, constantly.

For the best customer service, the Victoria bike shop in the basement of Shinjuku's L-Breath is great. I've gone there for all cycling repairs and maintenance for the past year. Sometimes I don't even get charged for minor repairs like brake adjustments and other things.

They have a good selection of gear, but it's a small shop.

Y's Road Shinjuku is huge, but no customer service and actually that shop is often poorly stocked (like I zero real cycling jersey's one time I went there!).

Jason

Back
Top Bottom