Imperial Palace Laps tonight!

D

dsheehan

Warming-Up
Aug 13, 2008
Shinagawa
jason- how many miles is it around the palace. What is the road surface like? Can you do this ride on the weekend or is it too crowded? Thanks

jcollin3k

jcollin3k

Warming-Up
Jun 27, 2007
Shinjuku, Tokyo
www.jasoncollin.org
jason- how many miles is it around the palace. What is the road surface like? Can you do this ride on the weekend or is it too crowded? Thanks
dsheehan -- it's 5 kilometers (3.106856 miles) around the palace loop. The road is in good condition all around. No potholes or anything like that. Just a couple manholes whose locations can be easily memorized (I don't like to ride over manholes, or walk on them).

I have not really ridden the palace loop on a weekend, so I can't say, but I would guess it is more crowded. I like to ride the loop at night because there is less car traffic. Even on weekdays (daytime) the extra car traffic will likely add a few minutes to your total time.

You can check the stats on all my palalce rides since March 2008 at this link:

http://jasoncollin.org/tag/imperial-palace/

Jason

D

dsheehan

Warming-Up
Aug 13, 2008
Shinagawa
Thanks Jason. great job on the time drops. I do not like dodging cars so I will look to go south of shinagawa and get into some more remote areas (if they exist). BTW what bike shop do you use? I had a recommendation on Y's road. Any recommednations are appreciated.

jcollin3k

jcollin3k

Warming-Up
Jun 27, 2007
Shinjuku, Tokyo
www.jasoncollin.org
Victoria

For on actual roads, I think the only place you are likely to not have to dodge a constant stream of cars would be maybe Odaiba area. There are not many there and the roads are huge and long. The only true car-free area that I know is the Arakawa bike road. I don't count Futakotamagawa because there are so many people and other obstructions on the bike lane, constantly.

For the best customer service, the Victoria bike shop in the basement of Shinjuku's L-Breath is great. I've gone there for all cycling repairs and maintenance for the past year. Sometimes I don't even get charged for minor repairs like brake adjustments and other things.

They have a good selection of gear, but it's a small shop.

Y's Road Shinjuku is huge, but no customer service and actually that shop is often poorly stocked (like I zero real cycling jersey's one time I went there!).

Jason