What's new

I'm still here

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
さしぶり

Just checking in!

My life's been turned upside down. Last year could've been the best year of my life for the worst year of my life, I'm still trying to figure that out. I landed an awesome job as a bicycle tour guide and continued working on the Japan pro tour is a mechanic and doing my bike fit. Life was great, but then my wife of ten years decided that it was time to call it quits. It was a long time coming. After The divorce I needed to obtain a visa my awesome job as a tour guide couldn't give me a long term visa . With my fighting spirit, I did everything I could to stay here. Growing up without a father of my own left a pretty big hole and I told myself I wouldn't leave my son and daughter here unless I was getting carried out kicking and screaming . I was able to obtain work in Matsumoto and I got a pretty cool place right at the bottom of Utsugushigahara. Also conveniently close to Venus line and Norikura. I've started teaching Englush again and I'm happy with my job. Its strange not to be working in the bicycle industry as much as I was, but it's actually made riding my bicycle more enjoyable again . I'm still doing bike fit and always willing to help anyone that needs me. If anyone wants to ride with me out here don't hesitate to contact me. Life is going OK now I get to see my kids a few times a month and I'm a bachelor again and being in Japan that ain't so bad. I just want to tell everyone out here keep your head up, keep fighting and never give up . I'm so lucky to have surrounded myself with really cool people that supported me. Most of them I met on here actually. Even though I'm miles away from my family, I created my own family here and it all started with this group. I felt it was necessary for me to check in and tell you I'm doing OK.

Thank You,

Chuck
PS
I have got the sickest mountain bike trail in my backyard too, and a brand-new Velodrome.

Hit me up !

Hey Chuck

Sorry to hear about your problems but glad to hear that you are getting your life back on track. You live in one heck of a beautiful place so I may have to come visit one of these days .

Everyone needs a cataclysm to happen to them, even if at the time it is horrific. It hardens you, and works as a highly effective self-auditing system; you will no doubt have learned a hell of a lot through the process and cleaned out all kinds of shit that was needlessly weighing you down before.

Your current position sounds alright. A monthly salary is boring, but stable and guarantees money. I would also hazard a guess that you are earning more now than you were before. Up to you what you do now, but you should definitely ride the momentum of all the change that has happened, and keep it going, as that is positive energy for sure.

Not sure but if you've been here in Japan a while you might want to get permanent residency ASAP. You have a visa sponsor and once you et that you'll have a lot more options available to you job wise. Great to read about you moving forward. Good luck.

Charles, glad to hear you are keeping tough, and moving forward. You are lucky enough to live near some of the best riding in Japan, some awesome climbs out there, so keep on riding as much as you can. Will definitely help keep you grounded, especially when times are tough! Good luck, keep your head high and keep moving forward.

My permanent residency visa certainly paid off with my divorce (Jan 2015) as well. It's a rocky road...glad I still have my MTB! Start putting a little money away each month for when your kids are older... Just in case. I'm working my butt off covering my son's college fees.

This year I did the opposite, moving from Nagano to Tokyo. I really hope you enjoy the change... the mountains are certainly a challenge (well, for a fat pig like me) and some of the mountain bike trails from Takabocchi to Matsumoto are sublime! There are some awesome guys and girls on the trails too...

Wishing you all the best and as my nagging mother always says.. a change is a good as a holiday.

Just happened to have a bike fit done by you last weekend, Chuck. Sorry to hear about your wife.

Anyway for those who wish to know about my session, I am extremely satisfied with his work. I was able to immediately put more power on each pedal stroke after getting fitted. I can't recommend him enough if anyone is thinking about getting a bike fit.

Back
Top Bottom