I'm Looking for a Torque Wrench

Almost Tokyo

Speeding Up
Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
I'm having trouble finding information on torque wrenches that I can buy here in Japan. The guy at my LBS uses a Topeak, but I really don't want to pay ¥20,000+ for a wrench that I will only be using occasionally (I don't want to 'borrow' one when I do need to use it.) And, although it would be nice to have, I really don't need a digital readout. The smaller torques, (2 - 20 Nm) are my main concern. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Davad

Warming-Up
Oct 15, 2008
Koto-ku, Tokyo
I got this one:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/joint/tl-bbb-btl52/

It`s made in Taiwan and works well, seems really well-made. It`s sold under a few different names, I`v e noticed. Above is the `BBB` brand; mine says `GRUNGE` on it. Mine was also cheaper, about 7500, but it`s exactly the same. I`ve seen it around at the shops, Y`s, Narushima`s, OD Box/Art Sports in Okachimachi. It`s often sold out, so just look around, or go for it from Rakuten.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
If you can find one, think about getting a beam type torque wrench. Cheaper than most click types, and user-error aside they are more accurate. Sure, not as cool as click types (which I use now) but when used properly they are more accurate and far cheaper. I have seen plenty of good wrenches use the beam type...

If you go with a click/ratchet wrench, you probably cant go wrong with the one Davad posted.

Almost Tokyo

Speeding Up
Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
>>kiwisimon, I keep forgetting that Jamazon sells more than books. :)

>>Davad & Specialized DJ, First-hand experience is helpful. I realize that buying 'cheap' tools isn't always a good idea.

Almost Tokyo

Speeding Up
Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
I got this one:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/joint/tl-bbb-btl52/

It`s made in Taiwan and works well, seems really well-made. It`s sold under a few different names, I`v e noticed. Above is the `BBB` brand; mine says `GRUNGE` on it. Mine was also cheaper, about 7500, but it`s exactly the same. I`ve seen it around at the shops, Y`s, Narushima`s, OD Box/Art Sports in Okachimachi. It`s often sold out, so just look around, or go for it from Rakuten.
I received my 'GRUNGE' wrench yesterday from amazon.co.jp... good deal.

Again, thanks to all!

Almost Tokyo

Speeding Up
Oct 28, 2009
Edogawa-ku
Well... I'm just a carbon-wanna-be at the moment. :) That's was the biggest reason for not wanting to spend much money on a torque wrench. I mean, I'm riding a Cannondale CAAD 9, so only the seat post and fork are carbon. Should I use assembly compound for the seat post even though the seat tube is aluminum? Thanks for the heads up. I'll know what to use when I do go all carbon fiber.