What's new

I'm jinxed!

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
OK this is kind of getting spooky! Just bought a set of Mavic Aksiums, moderate priced training wheels and got a punture on my very first ride on brand new tyres. At home I had a chance to look closer and realised that the rim is dented, creating pressure right where the tube gave way. Whether they came like this or somehow I managed to make the dent, although it sure would have to take some force to cause it, I'm not sure. I'll take it back to the shop and get it replaced ASAP. But this has seriously got me thinking....am I jinxed with wheels or what? Read below and let me know your opinion.

1. My HED back wheel rim became cracked, luckily under warranty and had it replaced.

2. The bearings in my front HED wheel needed replacing, again done under Warranty.

3. Next set of wheels, Easton Aero back wheel was completely ruined on the descent after the Azami line due to heat. This was thier very first ride. Again replaced under warranty.

4. HED front wheel bearings need replacing again after only 6 months since changed!

5. Now this with my latest wheels.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH:mad:

p.s. maybe it's karma for flipping birds at truck drivers!

remind me to never sell you any wheels. :D

All my wheels are still going strong.

I got a set of Aksiums about 2 years ago for wet weather and training. Great priced set and they aren't that bad.

Let's hope you don't get black listed from shops!!!

The funny thing is I bought Mikes Mavic Cosmic Carbone and they run like magic.....:angel:

I think in cycling you pay for one of two things "racefullness" (lightness or aerodynamics) and durability. Unfortunately the two things rarely go hand in hand, so expensive lightweight or aerodynamic wheels perhaps won't go the distance when training. Mike I'd recommend getting a pair of bomb proof wheels for training on and keeping the good ones for racing on or special rides.

For training I have mavic open pro ceramic rims with dura ace hubs. The rims will go on forever and the dura ace hubs are fully maintainable. For racing I use mavic cosmics for road races and some old school "fir" wheels for hillclimbs. The miles I put on them are limited to races only but the maintenance is still more than on my day to day wheels.

The bike does of course look 10 times better with decent wheels on though...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

James, yes the Carbones are the exception to the rule. The bike shop owner here in Kasjhiwazaki had a head on crash with a car on Friday. Both the top tube and downtube have huge cracks in them (Carerra frame) but the wheels remain true.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm regretting selling those mavics to James now:( Luckily I buy my wheels from different shops all the time. Wiggle/Chain Reaction and my LBS. I reckon this has to be a production default, or they were knocked in delivery to the shop. To sustain damage like this it must have been hit hard from the side, and as there are no scratches I'm guessing it was while they were in the box. I'm sure Hitoshi San at Sagami Cycles will have me sorted out free of charge.

Campagnolo is what your bike is obviously asking for. Listen up and get a set of these.

I think in cycling you pay for one of two things "racefullness" (lightness or aerodynamics) and durability. Unfortunately the two things rarely go hand in hand, so expensive lightweight or aerodynamic wheels perhaps won't go the distance when training. Mike I'd recommend getting a pair of bomb proof wheels for training on and keeping the good ones for racing on or special rides.

For training I have mavic open pro ceramic rims with dura ace hubs...

Tough luck, Mike--I used to have wheel problems too (though not nearly so dramatic, mostly just broken spokes), and like Andy now generally don't ride on anything that isn't fully serviceable with parts available at the LBS. More than durability, it's just nice to be able to go into the shop and pick up a regular j-bend spoke, say, for a quick fix.

I won't lie--I still want the blingy whoosh-wheels, but it's a big spend for what is essentially a wear item.

Back
Top Bottom