What's new

If you could move to a road cycling paradise in Japan, where would it be?

Nuff

Maximum Pace
Jul 28, 2020
As per the tile, if you could move anywhere in Japan with a great mix of roads for cycling, hopefully with some good cafes for pit stops (optional), where would it be?

Due to the whole COVID situation, I've the unique opportunity of abandoning Tokyo for a while and relocate to a more cycling friendly location.

I'm thinking about Izu/Shizuoka/Yamanashi or Nagano. Although shovelling snow in the winter doesn't appeal to me.

As per the tile
Did somebody say "Tile"?
if you could move anywhere in Japan with a great mix of roads for cycling, hopefully with some good cafes for pit stops (optional), where would it be?
For me, the answer would absolutely be a campervan, a.k.a., mobile home, a.k.a., RV.

I don't need one as classy as my friend's EarthRoamer; a size smaller would be fine.

20100712-021924-nocal-msw.jpeg

I guess I did say Tile... and I will leave it as is. :)

I'm also looking at MPV, it's not exactly RV, but it will do for places further away from home.

To me, being able to cycle 51 out of 52 weeks a year is one of the greatest features of living in the lower elevations of the Kanto.

I grew up in a place that can have snow from anywhere as early as October to the end of April. And when I say snow, I means snow and/or black ice. Needless to say, I don't miss those winters. Well, some people like skiing and will switch to either downhill or cross country skiing in the winter or use their home trainer but I'm not one of those people.

If I were to move anywhere else in Japan, it would also have to be a place where I can cycle 12 months a year like in Tokyo. Fortunately there's no shortage of those.

3qi2GUsFdUrvCEqiUYNPZS1xtdjYCjr-50-v1ZbqdzoJDMg8i6kWAI2fowMAdkhE1tNVDIdwyRRU8_mCzEodO-au5E17yYmZru9ggpDnlC7zzbb7WNp1brrPl-nGP-3q84Z_Ha-X9vCDZRGGraiexUJMSTPdwDsePSPTtPXfr-P_nWrH5VA2olGI6X9fms_38Luf8ehv9HQpEb2Q8WGSvAcNGs-fFTgs0EuTPbsQd1W2xj7Cqpamq-0Q_krbuYAqUvE3aZZfb_dPSYt6Tky8k2k2Rtmcpd5iOLqT1OFaCF2-LJZuw6ozFm1XQ6ECGvTNQ2jDAqlMTrVC5K96Gtu-onxJjtULWClLl_k9Y32PerMJMI1fz4-Os235GJYHnkQULW0Pik3d30ujrWAlLy--xQArTw3caFgRFbAMQx-wG4js_8EnPd81hsiceCRbIOLFIxXKg-rY_sYXYjFzbLlLooOg1dLlPH7_6eGcFmSJIFfSecT5FFoUlNuEzCzUGCy_OEsOWaL5J_dlrW4ssnmtfnRC8peZU6SEu9Uj78cjJQ9yBYgUvmqlLiOLt0rDGGWPJzJeO21syflJHp76DfBexK98D4c4rxYXY_8NDOob8nyuGEROVbxHKui3VuZTrr17Ha4clpiHQnlVYwQ4xn2ibbIruhpgGH2oWJE2rMN5vEKmLIEDFwE-tSkbvvxIhKOsfl-lmOfNeIvoIpEWQhLfZKUzA3ynYXkCdtJNzlVcVB37QBvH=s800-no

I love Izu, especially the west - the stunning coastline, the little fishing villages, the mikan and ponkan growing everywhere, the onsen and the mild climate. The ideal place would be in West Izu with an ocean view and a Fuji view.

I am sure there are other great places to live and cycle in Japan, but amongst the parts I've explored so far, Izu is my favourite. It is not the most convenient if you need to visit Tokyo every now and then. Yeah, you can hop on a shinkansen in Mishima or drive on Tomei, but that costs time and money. OTOH the same is true for living in Nagano or some other places.

The Boso peninsula in southern Chiba is also quite nice.

Puh, that's tough. It's kinda like asking whether I prefer steak to ice cream or sushi. There is no good answer. Plus, I haven't ridden in so many places that I'd feel hard pressed to say "stuff that I know is better than X".

I wasn't on a road bike (much) while living in Kyushu, but I did do plenty of cycling there. It's amazing. But Tohoku is nothing to sneeze at either: I can either go along the coast line or venture into the mountains. One closeby peninsula is amongst my top-5 riding experiences in my life. OMFG was that great. Fast with a lot of rollers, plenty of proper climbs and spent time with my mates. Proper bucket list material.

I only miss proper mountain bike routes here. There are a few, really a few, and for the most part you need locals to show them to you.

Considering the responses above,
Just don`t come closer to the south of Kawasaki and you`ll probably be fine.

I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied with where I am..

Kamakura has some good, short, interval climbs I can do, or I can do the flats out to Odawara...
Or go hit the mountains in Hakone, Yabitsu/Miyagawa, or go a bit farther up and out to Tomin no Mori (都民の森)、or Wada pass.
The loop around Miura peninsula (Kannonzaki to Misaki) is nice too..

but, yea as mentioned before, hard to say one is better than another since I've only lived in the this area, so difficult to say anything is better than what I've experienced already!

Back
Top Bottom