What's new

Ibuki Hill Climb, Gifu

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has tried this race - searched the forum, but the only comment is about it being cancelled last year due to the earthquake. It is right on the limit of how far I am prepared to travel (now I have the car) and the profile (17K at 6.3%, 1075 m sounds enticing). Entry fee is a bit steep though (excuse the bad pun) at 7,000 and would need `permission` from the other half. But registration is soon upon us - Dec 1st-15th. Race April 15th.
http://www.ibuki-hc.jp/
http://funride.jp/event/detail.php?_num=101

No, but it is definitely an imposing mountain when seen from the shinkansen. One day I would like to try it.

It <seems> cool - but long way to travel - why don't they list:

1) Proper Google (or other) Map?
2) Transportation options and costs from major points in Japan?

No, but it is definitely an imposing mountain when seen from the shinkansen. One day I would like to try it.

Cheers, hope that day is sooner rather than later. Good luck with the recovery.

Not done it, but I've heard it's a nice climb.

It also is part of the JBCF schedule.

I remember my mate Adam did it a few years ago, but having checked his blog, he didn't go into too much detail:

http://adamcobain.blogspot.com/2008/04/ibuki-hill-climb.html

Not many chances to climb 17km in April though, so why not!?

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Again, cheers. I actually came across his blog when I did a google search for it. Impressive palmares during his time in Japan. If I get the ok, I shall give it a try. Good excuse to explore a bit more of Japan, but looks like entry might well turn into a lottery. Actually, l just noticed today that there is a short feature on it in Cycle Sports, as they are sponsoring the race.

PS: Re your recent blog post - have you thought about getting some Irn Bru imported? Made in Scotland from girders...

It <seems> cool - but long way to travel - why don't they list:

1) Proper Google (or other) Map?
2) Transportation options and costs from major points in Japan?

Yes, does seem strange that the site is `under construction`. They have run this race before, so surely they have all the pages/information from previous years???

Irn Bru? The best hangover cure of them all!

Yes Adam had a fantastic few years in Japan. One of the best climbers I've seen. Did most hills in the big ring....

Hope you enjoy the race.

Andy

Will see you all there if your coming down from the big smoke...
I'll be riding the the JBCF race

Got the ok to put my entry in. Shall see if I make the lottery, though might give it a re-think if I have problems again with the cold air this winter.

Will see you all there if your coming down from the big smoke...
I'll be riding the the JBCF race

See you there, though coming up from the outback is more applicable to me...

Sikochi, I found that doing breathing excersices really helped when dealing with the cold air.

Saw the mountain from the Shinkansen today.
Checked On google maps and it's a pay road (ibuki Yama drive way). Is is possible to get on this with a bicycle (at non racing days)?

I also found (and use) that a simple facemask helps alot. Anything to allow for a bit of pre-heating and moisturizing. I have exercise induced asthma (reactive airway syndrome) since I was young. Cold air is a killer. Inhaler really helps (I DO have prescription and waiver) as well as the mask. Adding a drop of eucalyptus oil on the mask helps, too!

Sikochi, I found that doing breathing excersices really helped when dealing with the cold air.

Which breathing exercises do you do? Been reading the `debate` on the PowerBreathe thingy.

I also found (and use) that a simple facemask helps alot. Anything to allow for a bit of pre-heating and moisturizing. I have exercise induced asthma (reactive airway syndrome) since I was young. Cold air is a killer. Inhaler really helps (I DO have prescription and waiver) as well as the mask. Adding a drop of eucalyptus oil on the mask helps, too!

Thanks for the comments. I think I remember you giving me the same tips last year. I do have an inhaler and use a neck/face cover/warmer. Just got caught out with the sudden change in temperature - from 20C in the daytime to 3C at night in a few days - as had been neglecting the inhaler and think I need to change the cannister.

Saw the mountain from the Shinkansen today.
Checked On google maps and it's a pay road (ibuki Yama drive way). Is is possible to get on this with a bicycle (at non racing days)?

I think there was a comment on the website saying that the reason why no `dry run` was allowed is because it is closed to bikes all year. So looks like a large part of the 7,000 entrance fee is for the privilege of being allowed to climb the hill on the bike.

If you`re thinking of entering, entry closes on Dec 15th, but you don`t have to pay yet - can just put entry in and they will let you know later when you have to pay, depending on whether they are oversubscribed and it becomes a lottery.

Here it is (google translation)
Running the driveway in practice possible?

Originally freeway so that you can not run. We have gotten permission to be able to run only the day of the tournament.

nihongo de

練習でドライブウェイを走ることは可能ですか?

本来は自動車専用道路ですので走ることはできません。大会当日のみ走ることができるように許可をいただいております

Iwaki san HC is the same. I just used a car and drove it so I could get a mental map of the route. And then I also managed to sneak around the gate once. I also got caught trying to do that, as well - so, I didn't want to risk it a 2nd time (hence using the car). Walking the course is also a good idea if you can do that. Your speed is not likely to be so much different (if it's 10%+) and you can learn all the points you want to attack, recover, etc. And also chalk some personal encouragement :)

Sikochi,

No you can't ride it. Adam did it the day before and they tried to stop him starting on race day.

As for the asthma thing, in addition to cold air, dry air can be a real problem at this time of year. If you find you are coughing at night, a humidifier might help.

Andy

Sikochi,

No you can't ride it. Adam did it the day before and they tried to stop him starting on race day.

As for the asthma thing, in addition to cold air, dry air can be a real problem at this time of year. If you find you are coughing at night, a humidifier might help.

Andy

Cheers, had a problem, but since then, have kept the aircon on on its lowest heat setting (16C) when it has been cold at night and have been ok. Does have an ioniser which seems to help.

Got my entry through the lottery. Just need to transfer money by 27th to confirm.

If anyone is interested, I won`t be able to make it, so if anyone wants my entry, PM me before Sunday. But...you will need to be able to pass for male 40-49!

Basically, the afternoon start time (I was expecting morning) has meant doing it as a family holiday is impractical (with the journey back here) and now they have announced it will just be the short route (12K) which means you won`t be able to go all the way to the top, so it doesn`t seem worth the journey.

Your start time would be 13:20-13:37; all details on the website.

Back
Top Bottom